iPhone shutter testing?

drew bedo

<p>I am an e-idiot (and maybe an i-idiot too). With that said: Is there a way to use an iphone or ipad to test the adduracy of a leaf shutter lens?</p>

<p>I would hope that there is some way that reads out directly in fractional shutter speeds, or even miliseconds.</p>

<p>Anybody know how or have any ideas on this</p>

<p>Seems that you need to perform some light duration times comming through the leaf shutter when it operates at all different shutter speed settings.</p>

<p>iPhone and iPad are wonderful multipurpose devices, but perhaps not able to do what you want ?</p>

<p>Tradditional and perhaps simplest method would be to use a digital storage scope, or an older analog scope with long persistance phosphorus. You will need sort of a light sensitive sensor, and a strong light, to start with.</p>

<p>Perhaps is the best to rely on lens shutter specification. Simple test would be to hear duration sound of each shutter speed operation, and observe that shorter sound is produced by faster shutter settings. But this way you will not find out exact timing values, just an orientation if the shutter operates more likely OK.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think I found an easier way to measure shutter speed, without any equipment.</p>

<p>If you have or find out a fast moving subject that the speed of motion is known, then make set of pictures and measure motion caused blur in the pictures, let say at 100% or 200% magnification. Knowing how much your constant velocity object moved on each picture, you will know pretty much accurately the shutter duration.</p>

<p>E.g. moving train, a car, a rotating disc, etc. could be used in your test.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. Your suggestions are appreciated.</p>

<p>These techniques are known to me. Additionally, I have access to several quality repair shops here in the Houston Texas area. </p>

<p>I an interested in hearing from someone with deep knowlege of both photography and smart phones/tablets, about how this gear may be used to test lenses in the field.</p>

<p>For android there is app called TapeMachine that I used, it just records the sound and displayes the waveform. Then you can scale the waveform to 'zoom in' on the shutter sound. It is pretty simple and accurate for times longer than 1/250 so it worked for me. Maybe there is something similar for Iphone.</p>