What camera do you use?

proy

<p>Hi! Alright. I'm new to photography. Been experiencing it for the past year I guess. I'm slowly starting to realize what field in photography I enjoy the most and it's without any doubt humanitarian / street photography. </p>

<p>I currently own a simple EOS 550D. Entry point DSLR, so I feel. That with an 15-85mm lens. I live in a harsh, cold environment (welcome to Ottawa, Canada!) and really am mistreating my camera. I pretty much always have it with me. Snow, ice and rain (though I wont expose it to rain), even through the dust of India last summer. I like to be out on the terrain with it, but fear for it.</p>

<p>I wanted to know what street photographers use. I'm thinking about going the extra mile to the 5D Mark II (now that the M3 is out, I assume prices will drop for the M2?), along with a 24-105mm f4 (still debating that lens versus the 24-70 f2.8, but that's another subject!). But yet, I wonder about the size. As a street photographer, wouldn't smaller be better? Does anything else out there exist? </p>

<p>I'd love to get you point of views. Know what you all use. I'm sure it will bring light to my questioning.</p>

<p>Thanks!!<br>

Patrick</p>

>>> What camera do you use?

Patrick, in the digital world my usage has transitioned from:

Canon 20D > Canon 450D > Canon 5DII > Apple iPhone 4

They're all good, but I've really been enjoying shooting with just my phone for the last six months.

>>> As a street photographer, wouldn't smaller be better?

Only if you want to carry a smaller, lighter weight camera. If you're asking about "unobtrusiveness," it makes no difference.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Most of time I use Leica M2 (with mostly 35mm):<br>

All mechanical, which is not bothered too much by harsh elements. Small and quite. Always wrapped in my wrist.<br>

I also use Nikon F100 (with mostly 35mm) for night shots (faster focusing) and where fast film changing is necessary. Heavier but versatile. <br>

My backup is Rollei 35. Very compact and good lens.<br>

I think any small cameras with moderate wide angle lens will do a good job for the street photography. dSLR with zoom lens is too bulky for me.</p>

<p>Been using a Panasonic LX5. Just posted 3 photos to another thread a few minutes ago using it. (one was with an LX3). That said I recently picked up a used Nikon D80 and have attached a 28 f2.8 (42mm equiv) which I will try out this weekend in New York City. I like the idea of a fixed lens where my feet act as the zoom. In my film life I used an Leica M2 with an old Canon 35 f2 living on it.</p>

<p>I had a canon 40d for awhile but found it too heavy to lug everyday, and so it ended up home everyday..so many opportunities were missed. I liked it with the tamron 17-50mm, very nice walk around lens, and light lens. Now I have a pentax k5, and am thinking of a pancake or 35mm for street. Its a nice light combo, I think weight is imporant, and the smaller is less eye catching as well. Patrick your camera will be fine in Canadian weather, I had mine out in all kinds and never an issue. If your out in really cold weather, just put it inside a plastic bag when you get inside, and leave it to warm up to room temps. to prevent condensation, if you want to be sure. Although I never bothered. Happy shooting. </p>
  • Henri Matisse. “Creativity takes courage”

<p>I shoot street photography typically with my D300 and 18-55mm lens. Before switching to digital, I used an F100 with either a 24 or 50mm lens. Neither of these is particularly small. But if I have something else on hand instead--a point-and-shoot or my iPod, for example--I will happily use that. And I have even thought about setting my 4x5 up somewhere interesting to see what happens... Someday, someday...</p>

<p>It doesn't really matter what camera and lens you use, so long as you are comfortable with them and they allow you to get the photographs that you want. If it feels too heavy, or if you're unable to capture certain shots because your lens isn't long/wide/etc. enough, or the camera doesn't focus fast enough/meter well enough in dim light/etc., that's the time to really look into a change.</p>

<p>Unless you are dropping it or knocking it around, the way you treat your gear does not sound like camera abuse to me, but then again, I live in Maine and travel to Egypt and Central America... :)</p>

<p>Any camera can be used in the street. I use a Mamiya RZ67 which most people would consider the most cumbersome camera to use this way, but it works with a bit of patients. I also use a Nikon F3 with a Zeiss 35mm lens. I never went the Leica route because I just can't get my head around the rangefinder thing. I like to see exactly what is going onto my film before I press the shutter.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I never went the Leica route because I just can't get my head around the rangefinder thing.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Try it. It may pleasantly surprise you and that is what I found. I never used my Bronica (medium format) for street photography and guess I have to try it. I may discover something I have missed!</p>

<p>Lol. Okay I seem to be getting the message loud and clear: shoot with what ever you have ;)<br /><br />Perhaps it be wiser (economically speaking) to just keep with what I have for another year or so; learn a a bit more.... and then maybe look for an upgrade. My main reasons for looking at the upgrade was that it freaks me out when I'm out and it's snowing and stuff... I want to pull out my camera, but always afraid I'll damage it. Plus, I love street photography when it's raining, but.... it's pretty damn hard to not worry about your camera then.</p>

<p>On top, well the idea of a lot less noise (Full frame) is also quite appealing to me... <br>

Thanks for all your replies. It's nice to know what people actually do. </p>

<p>If you think spending thousands on a new full frame camera will lessen your fear of damage, it won't. It most likely will be worse. What it sounds like you really need is a beater body, an older 30D or even a film EOS 1n body, to knock around with without worry. You can also pick up an older manual focus film body and a couple of lenses for a song. If it gets drenched, dirty, dropped, stolen, or otherwise comes to bad end, no worries. No matter what you use, your pictures will still look like your work.</p>

<p>Usually I'd say, gimme a small, reasonably nimble digital camera. Not because it's discrete or sneaky, but because I'm tired of lugging heavy SLR gear.</p>

<p>But after using everything from film and digital SLRs and P&S cameras, I'm going back to using my medium format TLR and folder this year. Mostly for the novelty. People are intrigued by those cameras, which often leads to interesting conversations. Especially with TLRs, people have asked me to photograph them without any expectation of ever seeing the photos. </p>

<p>My favorite incident with the Agfa Isolette folder occurred in a bar in Savannah several years ago. I was snapping pix and a woman turned to me scowling and said, somewhat miffed, "Did you just take my photograph?"<br>

I replied, "Yup."<br>

"With <em>that</em>?" She pointed at the Isolette.<br>

"Yup," I said.<br>

She giggled.</p>

<p>The folder fits in a cargo pants pocket, so the only drawback is being a geek wearing cargo pants. And TLRs are fairly lightweight despite being bulky, so they're not a chore to lug around like my dSLR and SLRs. The only drawback is I process and print only a few times a year, so there's delayed gratification.</p>

<p>Well I had a Pentax Spotmatic (sold it) and then went to a Richo 500G (it broke) and then an OM1 system (stolen). From there I went back to a Spotmatic (sold it) and then a series of Minoltas such,X370, X500, x700 (all the Minoltas broke) and then I bought a Nikon FE2 (broke twice and then I sold it) then to a Nikon D200 (just buried in the closet, I just quit using it) and finally I am using a Nikon F100. All of these camera's could take pictures of the street or anything on them. I do not usually take street pictures however as I prefer family shots, vacations and some scenic shots while on vacation. I will keep the F100 as long as possible but I would like a rangefinder sometime such as a Leica M6 classic. </p>

<p>I've used Holgas, OM-1s, a Contax T2, a Rolleiflex SL66 (not recommended for SP), a Leica M6, a Rollei 35 and a Fujifilm GA645i. Most now no longer work or are lost. I currently use an Apple iPhone 4s. I agree with Leslie.</p>

<p>Patrick, they are right--use whatever you have! Anything will work. I am a DSLR guy and have used the D90 and D70 (Nikons) on the street, mostly in Barcelona, with no problems. Now that the the D800 is out I am considering moving to that in a year or so once I know more about it--but mainly for my landscapes and cityscapes, when I don't have to haul the weight very far. Now for street (and backpacking) I am watching the mirrorless revolution closely and think that might be the thing...the Sony NEX-7, for example, looks mighty interesting. I like the idea of going smaller for street.</p>

<p>Well, since you say you're new to photography and you're asking, I would have to say that smaller is indeed better... but it depends on what you mean by "street photography". I mean, if you're the kind of person who takes "street portraits" and you're asking before taking, then any camera of any size is fine. But when it comes to candid and impromptu shots, you're not after image quality but quality of image, and smaller, less obvious cameras tend to get you more of those. Not that I'm anybody important, but my best streets shots have been the ones when my primary objective was a just a nice walk, and all I had was a compact camera with a wrist strap in my hand. A DSLR with a big, honking zoom lens on it isn't exactly conducive to that kind of photography. My opinion is based on having used a bit of everything from the smallest small format to a 4x5 Crown Graphic. More recently, I've taken what I think are decent street shots with a smartphone, but overall, I find it's a little too limiting.</p>

<p>Beating the dead horse here, but use whatever you're comfortable with, whatever disappears into your hand and frees you to think about the pictures and not about the gear.<br>

I flip flop between a couple Holgas, a Yashicamat 124g, Canon 7D, Olympus TZ-1, and my long neglected Sigma DP1. Depends on how I'm feeling or what I want to shoot that day.<br>

What Lex says about the TLR is right; I meet a lot more people when I carry the Yashica around. And tend to disappear with the Holga, look like a tourist with the Olympus, or like a hunchback with the 7D and related gear.</p>

<p>You're going about this the wtong way I think. Whatever other people use isn't going to tell you much as should be clear by now. I did a 2,5 hour lecture on streetphotography in Belgium yesterday where I told people that camera's don't matter and frankly, they don't. It's a message that has to sink in though. You can see it here as well as it ranges from an iPhone to a RZ67. Instead think about what lens you should use and save a lot of money. The best advice I or anyone else can give you is to buy a single prime, in your case a 28 or 35 mm. Stick to that and you are going to benifit a lot. It's small, fast, relatively cheap and sharp but above all your compositions will improve if you stick to a single prime. There's virtually nothing you can't shoot with such a lens.<br /> Good luck.</p>

<p>Your Canon is incredibly tough. Stop worrying about rain and snow and just go out shooting.... If it gets a little too humid, yes it will start to act up. So stick it in the oven (lowest setting!) for half an hour and that will clear up. Or make yourself a dry box for storage, with a humidity-absorbing gizmo from Dollarama, and store it with the lens off and the doors open.</p>

<p>I've been shooting Canons in very harsh conditions for 20 years, the only issues I've had are with the T90 (freezes up in the cold, plus a known electromechanical issue) and my original D30 (gets humid, dried it as above). The T90 is dead (loose circuit board from banging it on the ground too often to unstick the shutter release magnet), the D30 is still going strong.</p>