Just dreaming....

<p>Would it be mechanically/otherwise possible, albeit very expensive no doubt, to have a Nikon D800 modified to use Leica R lenses with open aperture metering? I am aware of Leitax, etc. but I would rather modify one camera than x lenses. Just a thought, though maybe the Leica R digital solution will appear this year after all, but maybe that is where the dreaming comes in.......?</p>

<p>David, I'm not sure about modifying the D800, but I have seen R lenses ripped apart to add the F mount to them. I would imagine the operation would be more invasive on a camera body, but it does seem feasible. FWIW, I do have a LTM adapter (a cheap one off fleabay), and shoot older Leica lenses on my Nikon bodies.</p>

<p>I read a test report somewhere that the 5D and Leica R optics are a great combination, due to Canon's effective firmware and the quality of certain Leica lenses. Makes one wonder why someone hasn't provided a similar inexpensive adapter for the Nikon camera bodies. Maybe they have, though, as there are several available now for mirrorless system cameras and third party lenses.</p>