birdied

<p>I have the following:<br>

D7000<br>

D300<br>

Jobu Jr3 Gimbal<br>

Induro CT213 Tripod<br>

300mm f/4 ( gimbal and tripod work wonderfully with the above)<br>

I just purchased the 500mm f/4 VR. <br>

After research and information from Jobu, I thought the Jr3 Gimbal would be sufficient . <br>

My problem is balance . I can not get the gimbal to balance with the D7000 and 500mm. I can get the D300 to balance, if I put the SB900, but it is so far back on the foot , forward swing motion is limited.<br>

I even purchased the replacement foot plate Jobu recommended for that lens and lighter cameras for use with the JR3.<br>

http://www.jobu-design.com/catalog/item/7860822/9225656.htm<br>

I sent Jobu email and this is a part of the reply:<br>

Quote<br>

Thank you for your email. The balance on any large lens (500F4 or 600F4) can<br />be challenging to achieve when using a very light camera body. This is<br />irrespective of gimbal manufacturer, they all balance the same way. So<br />switching to one of our bigger gimbals is not a solution, neither is going<br />to another manufacturer, the issue is the lightweight camera bodies you are<br />using.<br>

Unquote</p>

<p>They offered options that I might want to try -- <br>

Quote<br>

1. Get a battery grip for your camera body, or use a Pro size camera.<br />2. Add some more simple weight with a 1/4"-20 screw and a few washers to the<br />bottom of your camera. (We are actually prototyping camera weights that will<br />screw onto the bottom of cameras for these situations)<br />3. Get a rubber body protector and heavier handstrap.<br />4. Use a teleconverter. <br />5. Use a lensplate (like the SF-NX3) on the 500F4 instead of a replacement<br />foot. This will allow you to balance further out, but may make it difficult<br />to balance your setup on the Jr.3. You may need a completely different<br />gimbal with more swing-clearance.<br>

Unquote<br>

I have seen photographers with the D7000 ( no battery grip) and 500mm f/4 on a gimbal and it appeared to balance.<br>

So, before I spend more money that may or may not work, does anyone use this combination on a gimbal?<br>

Does anyone have any suggestions.<br>

I am willing to change gimbals , tripods if needed.<br>

Side note -- I am a 5'1" female. The lightest , safest, set up would be preferred, as weight is obviously an issue for me.<br>

Sorry for length of post .<br>

Thanks<br>

Birdie</p>

<p>Personally, I think the battery grip is the solution. It adds extra utility to your rig (including greater battery capacity, which is nice in colder weather or if you use a lot of live view, etc) and will add some mass back where you need it. To keep the $ reasonable, the 1/4-20 screw and a metal weight with a hole through it sounds just about perfect!</p>

<p>It all comes down to center of mass for the setup. You need to either move the center of mass by adding more weight to the camera end (or push the camera back with the teleconverter), or move the mounting point under the center of mass. Getting a long lens plate/ would allow you to slide the lens to the right position in the clamp. That would be what I went with so you could adjust things as needed, say when you do add a teleconverter or extension tube.<br>

Also, the gimbal head you choose might be a bit undersized, but that won't affect the balance issue.</p>

<p>Thanks Matt, I thought about the battery grip, but if my calculations are correct that only makes the D7000 about 1 pound heavier. <br>

I think that would make the weight still less than the D300 with the SB900 attached.<br>

While I can get that to balance it is still so far back that the forward swing is limited.<br>

I too liked the option of the screw and bolts, but won't that impeded the forward swing even more as there is not that much clearance .<br>

Sorry, it these are incorrect conclusions, but I am not that mechanical.<br>

Birdie</p>

<p>Thank you LG, but according to Jobu, I would need a different gimbal so as not to interfere with the forward movement. I don't have an issue with getting another gimbal, but want to make sure I get the right one. </p>

<p>You may be able to find a old flash bracket and use just the mounting plate section. A cell-phone pouch [..or two] of lead fish weights attached to the bracket base would add enough weight to make your Nikon D7000 body heavier to kind-of-match a pro-weight camera body for balancing on your rig.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Roberta, if you want a "factory solution" without a lot of tinkering and drama, I would suggest going with their recommendation #5 of a longer lens plate and a bigger gimbal to achieve the needed clearance. The gimbal upgrade will also leave you some margin given the heavy payload. </p>

<p>The reason for the suggestion is, you might need to add a ridiculous amount of weight to achieve balance given the close proximity of the camera to the 500/F4 mounting hole, but this is something you can verify experimentally. </p>

<p>I use my D7000 with a 500mm/f4 AF-S (early, pre-VR version) and 200-400mm/f4 AF-S VR with a Wimberley head. Since the D7000 is lighter, I do tend to slide the whole set up back a little more on the tripod head to keep a better balance. (If you loosen the knobs, the whole set up should be "floating" on the Wimbeley head so that it is easy to point to your subject.) I have a RRS plate on the 500mm/f4 and that plate is very long so that there is more room to slide back and forth.</p>

<p>Adding the MB-D11 vertical grip is one solution. And keep in mind that Nikon will likely update the D300/D300S some time "soon." That may be a better DX-format DSLR for wildlife photography. You won't necessarily be using the D7000 forever.</p>

<p>Roberta, I've used the same combos as you currently have, the D300, D7000, Wimberly head, and Jobo Jr. Gimbal head. I had the Wimberly replacement foot on the 500 VR, and grips on both the 300 and 7000. No problems at all balancing the rigs. I've upgraded the 500VR to the 600VR and everything still balances nicely. The Jobo Jr. is kind of light for the 500VR but does work, just be careful.</p>

<p>I can balance my D700 and my 500 f/4 P, but I sympathise, as it's right at the end of the travel of the tripod plate (on a Manfrotto 393 "poor man's gimbal").<br />

<br />

The plate to move the centre of gravity is going to be the minimal weight option, but if you're worried about it fouling, want something more preconstructed than weights, and don't want a complete waste of money, could I suggest what various people near me market as a "pod" - a bean bag with a tripod screw? It'd add weight, it's designed to be screwed to the bottom of the camera, and you get a free bean bag for short lenses.<br />

<br />

Failing that, have you considered mounting an SB-910? That should add some weight, and might even come in handy...<br />

<br />

Good luck, whatever approach you choose.</p>

<p>I think that adding weight to the bottom of the D7000 is your best bet, to maintain full range of movement and keep you from having to replace any of your already-costly, impressive quality equipment. Adding a grip would be a start, but only get it if you see yourself using the features of it (additional battery, controls in vertical orientation, etc). Otherwise, you are burning your money paying $250 for a 1 lb weight! Heck, to get yourself a 1/4" screw, just look here and buy any $15-$20 tripod head, and just tie a 2-3 lb ankle weight to it.<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?srtclk=sort&ci=140&Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&N=4289936047</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for you replies. I have spoken to Jobu 2 times today, and still trying to work out what is the best option. <br>

I have tried adding the SB900, but that does not help with the balance. <br>

According to Jobu, a longer plate and that JR3 gimbal will not work, as it will impede the forward swing.<br>

Thank you everyone :)</p>

<p>Birdie</p>

<p>I did a quick body weight search, D7000 690g, D700 995g, D300 825g, D3x 1220g, D4 1180g.</p>

<p>To get to the heaviest DSLR body weight, it's adding 530g. I suppose the lead-method puts a little more strain on the lens mount (but nothing it can't handle) and the re-balance/longer plate method doesn't.</p>

<p>I'd go Grip + a few grams of lead rather than a whole new Gimbal and/or plate, especially as it will also increase battery life and add controls....and retain FULL movement.</p>