Best lens for taking gymnastics pictures

<p>Oh, FAIW Michael, although I've not used a "better beamer," I've experimented with a fresnel lens about the size of a car door to recolumnate flash at close range. It's a way I invented to create a softbox look over a very small area and with very little light spill. So far nobody has been blinded or discomforted. That said, I do have to use common sense and dial down the intensity of the flash.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Regarding the ISO 3200 hack - in my tests I found it similar to deliberately underexposing ISO 1600 by 1 stop and then pushing the exposure up inside Aperture."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thank you.<br>

I was curious and I investigated and downloaded and was playing yesterday with our 400D - my initial results (indoors typical room lights) appear to be the similar, using Photoshop and tweaking the exposure and the Highlights - there does not seem to be much (any) improvement in the shadow detail /noise, nor general image quality, by using the hack.<br>

I will continue to play more rigorously at a later date.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>I think the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 is a great low price option here. You are not going to be able to go much wider than 2.8 as you will start running into focusing issues becauwe the focal plane will be so narrow parts of the body will be in focus while others are not. the most common lens for sports is the Canon 70-200 F2.8 and a Canon 70-200 F4L is a great alternative. However, if you need f2.8 which I do, the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 is an excellent choice.</p>

<p>Interesting thread. I've been to many gyms where using a flash is prohibited. Coaches and players will use the flash as an excuse for a missed shot, play, move, etc. and who can say they aren't right sometimes. On the other hand, parents with their little P&S cameras are flashing left and right.<br>

Depending on the gym, sometimes you have to use the fastest lens you have and either work close or farther away to compensate for a lack of zoom. I've certainly used 85mm 1.8 lens for dark basketball work. My favorite lens for gymnastics is the 135 L f2, but any number of good zooms can be used if your camera produces good high ISO results.<br>

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and spend money on a quality lens-camera combination.</p>

<p>I'm also in favor of 135 L f/2. Also, plus additional teleconverter 1.4, it would serve as a 190 f/2.8 lens as well (not sacrificing too much on the aperture). Total cost, around $1000 or less.. (especially when bought used).</p>