Prepair contract with large companies?

<p>Hello everyone.<br>

<br /> This post is about experience and, yes pricing too.<br>

The idea is to propose a one year contract to large companies which need a photographer from time to time and would prefer to use just one photographer for all jobs - long term relationship.<br>

Ideally, 10 jobs a year lets say for 3000E.<br>

3000E would be paid in 2 payments, all on invoice.<br>

<br /> Does anyone works like this?<br>

How many jobs under how much money would be ok.<br>

I dont want to work for peanuts and I’m trying to find out if this scenario at least works.<br>

Thanks and regards,<br>

Martin</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It's impossible to comment on such a scenario without knowing what sort of "jobs" you're talking about. Week-long event shooting with hundreds of attendees all getting prints and social-media-prepped images e-mailed to them individually? Or, a single product shot for a blog? A head-and-shoulders executive portrait for their web site? Landscape and architecture work?<br /><br />Regardless, pre-<em>paid</em> seems generally unlikely. A contract that calls for a certain amount of work or deliverables, perhaps on a retainer basis, maybe.<br /><br />But doing the math: you're talking about work that - per "job" - would get you 300 Euro each. Let's say that each job will take you eight hours. That's <em>gross </em>revenue of under 40 per hour. Out of which you have to pay your taxes, etc. And that assumes that whatever you're doing for them would be <em>completely done</em> in 8 hours. Is that true? Including licensing paperwork, post production, transportation, setup/takedown, planning meetings with art directors, etc?<br /><br />You can see how hard it is to even explore this subject without having more to go on, from you, about the nature of the work and the industry(ies) in question.</p>

<p>Matt,<br>

Thanks for ur in depth comment!<br>

First thing first.<br>

Clarifying the subject - event photography, workshops, behind the scenes (not printing), blog pictures yes, also press conferences, not executive portraits (these are better paid jobs i know)<br>

Im negotiating one potential client, it is a real estate company that is keen on the local market. Agree on prepaid, hardly likely.<br>

The sum 3000 was a figure and I was not thinking doing 8 hour jobs.<br>

These conditions vary, we all know.<br>

Thanks again for opening eyes, but let me ask you, how do you personally operate?<br>

<br /><br /></p>

<p> </p>

<p>What your'e talking about is a retainer, and it's done by people in all sorts of professions, very typically with lawyers, accountants, etc. For a certain number of dollars for a given time period (usually monthly) you agree to be available for a certain amount of work (usually specified in hours). If they don't make use of your services, you still get paid. If they need more of your time than the hours agree on, they pay more. In photography, it can also be referred to as "contract" work with the same principles applying. A company that has never worked with you before is unlikely to go for it. But a regular client probably would, especially if it guarantees them that you are available and if you give them a discount from regular rates in return for the guarantee of steady work.</p>

<p>I've seen it done in other industries - where there is a variable in the need for services and it doesn't pay to have staff position handle the work.</p>

<p>One way of handling it is to do a retainer, similar to law firm or accountant, whom you would pay a small monthly fee, and then pay actuals if you really used their service in a given month.</p>

<p>Another way would be to come up with an average usage per client and price it accordingly.</p>

<p>I haven't done it myself - but there are a couple of clients that, if 2012 continues as it has in the past 3 months, I may give that option to.</p>