When a new body is released.....

robert_dale

<p>why do so many people jump on the bandwagon so quickly?</p>

<p>With the release of the 5DMKIII it's as if no one has EVER been able to take a worthwhile photo with a 5DMKII<br>

I wouldn't hesitate to say that the 5DMKII is more camera for 95% of the people who own one, yet people are in a mad scramble to spend thousands of dollars on a new body that will start to depreciate from the moment they take it out of the box.<br>

What ever happened to the mantra of great glass before bodies?</p>

<p>What country do you live in?Everyone here in the USA knows that unless you have an iPod3, an iPhone4 and a 5D MkIII your manhood (or womanhood I guess) is in question.</p>

<p>I still have a 5D original and I don't have any version of the iPod or iPhone. I also live under a rock...</p>

<p>People 'upgrading' keep Canon going, which I guess is a good thing. Keep in mind though that the people posting in these types of forums are the folks who just bough a 5D MkIII. The people happily using an original 5D are out there taking photos ;-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What ever happened to the mantra of great glass before bodies?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Judging from many posts here, lots of folks already <em>have</em> great glass. They might be itching for an improved AF system, or something else that - after years of using another tool - they now know they need.</p>

<p>Robert, some people who get excited about a new release are upgrading from a much older generation. I'm very excited about the 5DIII because I currently have the original 5D. I've been wanting to upgrade, but I wanted to wait for the MkIII release. So when you see bottled up excitement, it's often because it precipitates a cascade of "the time is now" decisions from people with various generations and incarnations of camera. For me, "the time is now," or at least the time will be when the MkIII prices fall off a bit. ;-)</p>

<p>PS My 5D is still a great camera. I'm just looking forward to better low light capabilities.</p>

<p><em><strong>> why do so many people jump on the bandwagon so quickly?</strong></em><br>

Well, some pople use cameras for something else than just a hobby (like making money...) so why not get sometning new every now and than, eh? <br>

Some people delay equipment replacement (it does wear out, you know, and very quickly if you shoot 20 000 frames a week) waiting for the v.next of their system of choice.<br>

Some people just like new toys, regardless of making of not making any money from photography and are able/willing to spend serious $ to get the "newest and greatest."<br>

Then there are people for whom toys serve as an extension of various body parts so they get the new stuff all the time.<br>

There are many other categories of people who buy new things, but what's it to you..?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Hell, I'm so slow to upgrade my Canon bodies that I have yet to even buy my first one! See? The marketing machine can't touch me, man.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /><br>

I'm betting Matt is drooling over/ preordered a D4 (or maybe a D800) already!</p>

"yet people are in a mad scramble to spend thousands of dollars on a new body that will start to depreciate from the moment they take it out of the box."

Which people? On photo.net, the ones making the most noise are those complaining the the 5D3 is a huge disappointment that's ridiculously overpriced.

<p>I think part of the mad scramble is also 5D2 owners selling their 5D2's right now to get as much $$$$ as they towards a 5D3 - fear of taking an even bigger hit later if they wait too long to sell. </p>

<p>Where I live, for the last 2 years a 5D2 was listed about once a month or so for $2000 (or more). that's within a few hundred of new! Now in the past two weeks there has been more than one a week at prices in the $1750 range. The same is playing out with the 5D's which seemed to drop a few hundred almost overnight. </p>

<p>It's funny, if I had to guess Canon just priced the 5D3 at ~2x the expected used value of the 5D2. When the 5D2 was selling for $2100, 5D's were selling for around $1000 used. The know their customer will return if the margin is 50% or less. Great marketing.</p>

<p>Marketing works, I guess .... but to be honest, I can understand buying a new DSLR if it is significantly better, why not? (not sure of that applies to the 5D's) It is their money. A a full disclosure, I sold my D700 a few months back I will be upgrading to a D800 at some point... but I admit it will be pure splurge, as currently I am quite happy with the D7000, so maybe not to soon, it will likely be backordered in an Leica M9 like fashion anyway.</p>

<p>I too, have a 5Dll. Just wish I could afford to live under a rock also. Maybe upgrade at<br>

5D7 or 8 but no concrete plans for that at this time. </p>

<p>Also looking at Giampi's photo at the bottom of the page and wondering why my camera<br>

won't make a photo like that.</p>

<p>I fully agree with the phrase in Robert's last sentence "great glass before bodies".<br>

A few years after buying the 300D with a standard lens I was curious to know how an L lens performed. One day I ventured into the pro section of Jessops and asked if I could fit the 70-200L 2.8 IS to my camera. I fired off a handful of shots of unsuspecting customers using the built in flash. Reluctantly, I handed the lens back to the assistant and left the shop.<br>

As soon as the RAW images popped up in Photoshop my jaw dropped. I could not believe what I was seeing. Had I actually taken those pictures with my 6 megapixel camera? Magnifying to 100% I could make out the hairs on the man's nose!<br>

From that moment I knew that if the quality of my images was to improve then I would need better lenses. Being of limited means I could not afford to buy new so I turned to Ebay. I now have three excellent L lenses, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8 IS and the 85 f1.2 with the 5D and 5D Mk 2, all of which are 'pre-owned'<br>

The 5D Mk3 does look tempting but I will be quiet happy with my current setup for the next 3-5 years.</p>

<p>Hey, I'm a creature of fashion. Just as soon as I saw the very admirable specs on the new Canon EOS 5D mk iii, I put in my order for a brand-new Canon EOS 5D mk <strong>ii</strong>.</p>

<p>Nice as the new one is, and as much as I'd like to prove my manhood (although there seem to be a lot of people on my email who will help me with that), I concluded that the earlier model, new, was a bargain and would serve me for a long time. I sent off my 5D to my daughter, who is also happy.</p>

<p>My field backup is still my venerable Canon 20D and I'm satisfied with it as a representative of the APS-C class.</p>

<p>I can't be the only one who feels like this, since I note that the prices of used 5D mk i and iis on eBay have only gone down a little over the last 2 years. It could just be market lag, but a used mark ii would have only been about $2-300 less than a new one, in LN condition. The idea that rapid depreciation is the fate of a new camera is refuted by the remarkably stable 5D mk i prices.</p>

<p>However, I still am puzzled by the idea that the lens is all that matters. That was probably more true in film days, but these days the sensor etc. are as much a part of the imaging process as is the lens on the camera. The Nikonistas were right when they said 6 MP was enough, but it has to the <strong><em>right</em></strong> 6MP.</p>

<p>Matt: Glass before bodies? Yes, for sure; in the old days. In the past all cameras used the same sensor (film), so it made more sense to spend money on the glass. That has (obviously) changed and better cameras now have better sensors so in order to improve image quality you need to spend for the higher-end bodies. Just one more old axiom that's gone by the wayside.</p>

<p>Of course, those high-resolution sensors also need good glass, so you can't ignore glass. And darkroom skills have been replaced by "photoshop" skills. That's OK with me. I don't miss the smell of stop bath.</p>

<p>I don't automatically upgrade to the next body / camera unless there's a driving need for it.<br>

For me there are numerous reasons to go to the Mark III, but 2 primary reasons:</p>

<ol>

<li>Support for GPS</li>

<li>The number of focus points</li>

</ol>

<p>Now, having said that, I have also seen that selling the previous version immediately around the time of the new body ships is usually the best. </p>

<p>Example, I paid 2500 for my Mark II 3 years ago, right now I can sell it USED for $1800. Leaves me with a net cost of $700 for 3 years of use </p>

<blockquote><ol>

<li>The number of focus points</li>

</ol></blockquote>

<p>I loved that in the 7D, as well....... for about 30 minutes. Now it's been over 2 years with that camera and I use the center focus point only about 99.99% of the time. ;-)</p>

<p>YMMV, Ken</p>

<p>I loved it in the 40D and still love it in the 7D. My most used points are the rightmost and leftmost. Since the release of the 5D3 I keep dreaming of a 7D2 with the same 61 AF point AF system. Now <strong><em>that</em></strong> would mean some wicked AF coverage.</p>

<p>Yes, MMV... </p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

<p>glass before bodies is a good philosophy, but it doesn't hold as true as in the film days. Bodies used to be just light tight boxes and the film and glass really are what made the image. Now with digital the sensors in the bodies and the newer technology has a major role in the end product. That being said, I totally agree with you. Ever since the 5D II came out the 5D has been a P.O.S., now the mk III is out I guess I'll start rumaging through the trash to collect all the ones that will be getting thrown away.</p>