Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5 macro - manufacturer?

michael_c18

<p>I'm looking at a Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5 macro lens. I thought these were all made by Kiron/Kino. However, the serial number starts with 31 (instead of 22), and is only 7 digits long (others I've seen are 8). The 31 prefix doesn't match up with any of the manufacturers listed <a href="http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm#serialno">here</a>, unfortunately. Is there any other way of figuring out who likely made this lens? And would it still be as desirable as the Kiron-made ones, or are there other models out there that don't perform/handle as well?</p>

<p>FWIW, I have an old Vivitar branded 55mm f/2.8 macro lens in M42 fit that was obviously identical to ones sold under the Elicar brand. The serial would seem to indicate it was made by Komine (never heard of them!). Despite rave reviews of Elicar's macro lenses at the time, it's a so-so lens and not a patch on the equivalent Micro-Nikkor.<br>

Kiron's lenses also got good to excellent reviews, but IME these were all pretty much undeserved.</p>

<p>Anyway Michael, I guess it boils down to not buying a lens on reputation alone. With used lenses especially, condition is almost everything. So if you can try the lens before you buy, or can get a return assurance from the seller, then take the lens on its own merits and don't worry about who actually made it.</p>

<p>My recollection is that Vivitar leased the design from Kiron, but used other manufacturers as well as Kiron to produce the lenses. I can't speak to the Vivitars of the Kiron design, although I hear they are very good. I own the Kiron branded and produced lens and it is an outstanding lens, in terms of resolution, contrast, and smoothness of operation. The issue of desirability really depends on whether you plan to sell it later on and clear your cost/make a profit, or whether you mean desirability in terms of its performance for your needs. If the latter, Rodeo Joe, hit it on the head. If the former...branding and supply/demand do influence peoples' decisions on how much they are willing to pay...usually with higher prices for perceived higher consistency of quality.</p>

<p>It would be helpful to see a photo of the lens in question. If it is identical in all respects other than the serial number then it is probably the same lens people are familiar with. Several years ago I wrote an article in Shutterbug which I think had the title Same Lens, Different Name. There has also been a certain amount of poetic license when it comes to the focal length and the aperture. There are a number of macro lenses in the 90-105 range which are the same but which are marked differently. The same 90mm macro lens can be marked f/2.8 by one importer and f/2.5 by another. These lenses aren't typically used for available light shooting so a difference between f/2.8 and f/2.5 is not very important. The Vivitar 55/2.8 macro is also sold as a 55/2.8 Panagor and as a 55/3 under the Sears and Quantaray names. Some cameras allow automatic exposure adjustment to offset differences between marked and actual f/stop numbers. A Minolta X-700 in Aperture Priority mode and set at f/8 will adjust the shutter speed if marked f/8 isn't actual f/8. There were also supposed to be prototypes of some lenses. All of the 90/2.5 Vivitar Series 1 lenses I have seen have the 37 (Tokina) marking but I have read that there are prototypes of the same lens, made by Kino, floating around. </p>

<p>I have one of these lenses, unfortunately i don't have it handy right now to check the serial number. I've enjoyed it, and feel like its a match for capability of anything in my bag. Its definitely a pretty solid bit of equipment and probably weighs more than any other single lens i own. Mine came with a case, and off market caps. Here's an image taken with the lens, I don't have the exposure parameters but i think i was probably stopped down to f8 or so on this image. </p><div>00aFMQ-456603584.jpg.42258d26a499e90e7b6a11c8ace8861c.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning away from the lens, simply because I can't try it before I buy it. And for a little more money, I could get an old Nikon 55 f/3.5 micro (AI), which I've heard plenty of good things about, without worrying so much about whether what I'm getting is worth it or not. I wouldn't mind the extra reach of the 105, but on DX I don't think 55 is terribly short.</p>

The Nikon 55/3.5 is a 1:2 magnification with about a 4" working distance. You can use an extension tube to make it

1:1 but working distance is then about 2 inches. I don't know what it is on the Vivitar but on the Nikon that's pretty

short. If you can find a Nikon 105mm f/4 AI Micro and the extension tube you get a lot more distance.