Fungus (?) ID

bobatkins

<p>Anyone have any idea what this is? Looks like an orange jelly octopus attached to a fir/pine/evergreen tree. There are a bunch of them on the tree. I assume it's some sort of fungus, but I haven't been able to ID it.</p>

<p>The tree looks otherwise healthy and the orange jelly octopuses (octopi?) are hanging off the green branches. They aren't growing on dead wood.</p>

<p>Or maybe the space aliens are here...</p><div>00aIqr-460183684.JPG.15e938e7452353a00798759d2342bffd.JPG</div>

<p>Found it thanks to JDM. It is in fact a fungus, but a search based on evergeen viruses turned it up.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae</strong></em> is a plant pathogen that causes cedar-apple rust. In virtually any location where apples or crabapples and Eastern red cedar coexist, cedar apple rust can be a destructive or disfiguring disease on both the apples and cedars.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnosporangium_juniperi-virginianae">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnosporangium_juniperi-virginianae</a></p>

<p>It's raining today for the first time in weeks and..."<em>On the eastern seaboard of the United States, at the first warm rain of spring, the spore horns become gelatinous masses and produce their teliospores.</em>"</p>

<p>There are no apple trees around here that I'm aware of, but that sure looks like what I'm seeing.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p align="left"> </p>

<p align="left">Amazing photograph I really didn’t think that it was a fungus. Thanks to this photograph I have learned something new. And also for the people who answers the queries of others kudos to you all please don’t stop on sharing your knowledge. </p>