Advice needed for forthcoming Exhibition

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>In November this year I will be hosting my first exhibition. The subject is Tribal portraits and there is no curator - I am organising the event myself.</p>

<p>I am not formally trained in photography or art so I have large knowledge gaps and would appreciate help on the following issues:</p>

<p>1. Any ideal print size for the subject of portraits?<br>

2. Giclee printing + mounting or Canvas printing?<br>

3. For the ones that will be limited edition, what is a good number?<br>

4. Any other do's and don'ts?</p>

<p>thanks in advance<br>

jaina</p>

<p> </p>

<p>1. Portraits are a difficult matter, and I cannot give you an advice concerning print size. They will probably look great in large print size, but may be difficult to sell then, if you wish to do so. More so even if you organize everything yourself without an intermediary.</p>

<p>2. Personally, I prefer a superb print with a decent frame and passepartout. Canvas printing is not my cup of tea, unless you use a wonderful canvas in a real frame. But that also is personal. Try out several print forms and decide what you think is best suited to your theme.</p>

<p>3. 10-15, I'd say.</p>

<p>4. Do provide a price list. Do provide a description. Have contact data ready, and your bio somewhere. People will want to know who you are. Don't overdo on the quantity and the space between single images. Care for good lighting. If you wish, do provide a guestbook where people leave comments or remarks (or addresses). Don't sell yourself under value.</p>

<p>1. Make sure you have a budget that incorporates various print sizes--printing large and especially framing large work can be expensive. How large are you thinking? I would experiment and see how a test print looks at various sizes. In my experience, size-related print defects are more noticeable on portraits as people tend to looks closely at faces and attire.</p>

<p>2. I'd go for inkjet, especially if portraits are the perspective. Though I have seen some really fine canvas-printed photos, most of them look a bit pretentious. This is subjective of course.</p>

<p>3. In the digital age, I question the value of limited editions, especially if a) this is your first exhibition and b) you are curating your own show. </p>

<p>4. Continuity among prints can help, so the same frames and perhaps mats too. Use good quality framing materials, but don't go crazy. Tight corners, clean mats and windows, professional title cards, archival materials. If you have a few good stories that are linked to the images, then posting those selectively may help provide viewers and buyers with background.</p>

<p>5. Find someone with curating experience to help sequence the images. Ensure the lighting is favorable--this is very important.</p>

<p>6. Hire a musician or more for the opening; see if wine and finger foods are possible. Have friends help with a press kit, and logistics.</p>

<p>Hope this helps,</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Thank you Monika & Michael,<br>

The venue is a known gallery attached to the Museum in Singapore so the lighting is well managed.<br>

I will add aura to the exhibition with a few antique tribal textiles and tribal jewelry items, along with the stories printed and mounted on soft board as suggested.</p>

<p>Both of you recommend ink instead of canvas so I read up some more on the ink prints. <br>

This leads to more questions :<br>

1. Giclee printing seems to be the better option? Before finalising with a printer, what should I check out about his equipment? Are there any machine models that are recommended for this kind of work?<br>

2. There seem to be numerous options on the paper - archival paper to others..... any recommendations?</p>

<p>About getting a curator:<br>

1. Not sure if I can afford one at this stage<br>

2. Am not sure if anyone will take on an unknown<br>

3. What would their role be? In the artistic aspect of the planning - such as layout & sequencing I hope to add in my personal touch... and in the production I am hoping that the print suppliers will provide their expert help but is there a role they play in marketing the exhibition?</p>

<p>Michael,<br>

I am thinking of a max size of approx 36 " x 48 " since my principal audience will be individuals who will hang these on their home walls. This size will be reserved for the best few images that I expect people might appreciate the most and therefore pay a higher price for. The others will be 12 x 24 and 24 x 36. </p>

<p>Am truly grateful to be able to discuss this here - its helping me to move ahead!<br>

Thanks again!<br>

jaina</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hello again Jaina,</p>

<p>1. Any good Epson should do, as the inks are long-living and perfectly go along with a nice paper.<br>

2. Again, the paper is up to your discretion and taste. I typically use Baryta papers in exhibitions because of its depth. But that's entirely my taste.<br>

3. Curator: I've done several exhibitions without. Now, in May, is the first time I expose in a place where the adjoining room is managed by a gallerist. May lead to something, but may also not. We'll see. If you're unknown, it's a tough business. You can always invite people who run art galleries to the opening. ;-)</p>

<p>Forgot to mention earlier: have *extremely nice* flyers printed, and use them as informational mail to this type of person: gallery owners, curators, etc., but also distribute them in nice places that you think may be frequented by the clients you wish to see. This may be restaurants, but also art centres, centres of particular interest, etc.</p>

<p>A curator provides a bit of objectivity to your images and may sequence them better than you could. Or maybe not. I've served in that role, and have appreciated others who have served me in that role. A curator will also provide some experience that you may be lacking in pulling off a show. I assume that you will be charging a significant price for prints that large, and for that money everything has to be excellent.</p>

<p>I would network with established art photographers in your community to discern who are good curators, as well as printers of choice.</p>

<p>You are paying for a printer's expertise so allow them to advise you on technical preparation. I always let my printer upsize my images. I'm curious about your camera setup. Your paper choices at that large output size may be limited to either glossy or pearl--maybe not. Printers don't do marketing--your agent, your friends, or you do that.</p>

<p>I would also do a reality check on the marketability of 3x4-ft prints. I realize that there is a psychology of "bigger is better" for art photography, but that may have some limits. From what I've been told (and reading) fewer people in the US have wall space for work that large unless an institution is buying. I'm curious, what are you going to charge for a framed 3x4-ft print in US dollars?</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Thanks Monika & Michael,<br>

I think I have the marketing angle covered to some extent with reasonable access to customers who might appreciate this type of work. As you suggest I will also address art galleries and art professionals. My concerns are mainly about the production aspects.<br>

I will reach out to some curators and explore the arrangements with them.<br>

I am checking out prices for printing and I was quoted USD 14 per sq foot for printing using an Epson 11880 on archival paper. (In Bombay - which is where I am currently - I have yet to check out Singapore prices).<br>

So a 3 x 4 ft would cost me USD 168 for printing.<br>

Add to that the mounting & framing and a fraction of exhibition overheads. The cost itself will be quite high - as you rightly say - around USD 350 - 400 ..........<br>

So unless I can bring in corporates to buy, this number does look unfeasible.<br>

Thanks for helping me to think through these issues.<br>

jaina</p>

<p> </p>

<p>This afternoon I visited the printer here. He is experienced with photographing and reprinting paintings of masters and has archived the collection of M.F. Hussain and others. His expertise has assured me that I can leave some of these details to him. <br>

The 3 x 4 looked like a good size, but I think my budget for initial outlay may not allow me to print all in that size.<br>

I use a Nikon D3s with 6100 px on the longer side which ought to be sufficient for these.<br>

It's also good to hear about the 5 figure prices :) something to dream about for the future!<br>

jaina</p>

<p> </p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Hi Jaina,<br>

My two cents worth (as participant in joint shows): 350-400$ is not that much for a good 3X4 ft framed print, at least in the US! However, what will restrict you is the print size as real estate on walls of homes is hard to come by in most modern cities (as michael suggested)! I would suggest making prints 24 X 36 or smaller and not having people shy away because of print size! You might miss out on a few corporate clients, but they might end up commissioning you in the future if they like your work! At the same time you might be better off having a wider audience since you do not know who your prospective buyers are.<br>

I second Monika's suggestion to print fancy flyers, preferably in glossy paper to be handed out at the event and also before hand through friends & family to potential high end art lovers. In your flyer, you can say that you will make custom size prints to order. that way you might not loose any corporate clients who are looking to buy larger prints! How knowledgeable are you of the Singapore Art market? Are you based in Mumbai or Singapore? If you are not fully knowledgeable of the art market there, then a curator will be very useful to get the logistics of the show right. Publicity is important and crucial. how do you plan on doing it if you are going to manage the show by yourself in a different country?<br>

Keep matt and frame quality well above average, but not to go through the roof in cost. Also, second the things that Michael suggested in terms of ambiance at the opening. Are you getting everything done in Mumbai, ie printing & framing? If so, how do you plan on shipping them? Will cost you a fortune to ship with appropriate insurance and not worry about damage. This will also add to your cost of the print! How much would it cost to frame the prints in Singapore? these might be things that a curator might be very useful for.<br>

The images in your portfolio look great! Good luck with your show.<br>

cheers!</p>

<p>Thanks Murali,<br>

After all the inputs from photo.net members and others, I think most pieces will be in the 2x3 size and the most impactful 3 or 4 pieces - will be in a larger size.<br>

About above-average frames - I have also read the recent article on photo.net that emphasizes framing - but I don't know how to get around that as it will take the cost up really high. So I am still looking at the options.<br>

Printing in India seems viable and with my current travel schedule I can bring these back with me. (I am based in India as well as Singapore and spend 2months in each place). I will be checking out printing in Singapore to see how it compares and then decide. The quality and experience of the printers is comparable.<br>

About the art market - Singapore or anywhere - I know absolutely nothing. :) So yes, it does make me nervous enough to get a curator. Will check this out.<br>

Thanks for the appreciation! If the subject is great its hard not to make a good capture.<br>

cheers<br>

Jaina </p>

<p> </p>