FD lens on a 4/3 camera

doug_williams4

<p>I looked at the archives and could only find information on M4/3 converters. Does anyone have any experience using FD lenses on a 4/3 camera? I have a Panasonic DMC L-1 and would like to use my collection of FD lenses as back up, I have a 50mm f.1.4, 24mm, 135mm and an old 200mm. Image quality is very important to me so using a converter that degrades the image is counter productive. Any ideas? <br>

Thanks,<br>

Doug</p>

I have no m4/3-FD experience, but I do with two other converters: LTM (39mm, I think) and

Nikon. My converters have no optical elements, or even any moving parts other than, in the case

of Nikon, a pin to lock the lens in position, so image quality is up to the lens. Some expensive

converters have a lever to set the aperture of lenses with no aperture ring, but I have some

pre-G Nikons that do have aperture rings, so its not an issue.

IQ with my Panasonic G3 and a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 is excellent.

But, bear in mind:

1. Manual focusing only.

2. Unless the lens is a preset, you have to either focus at taking aperture or stop down

manually after focusing wide open. (I don't think any Nikon F lenses were preset, because

even the first F had an automatic diaphragm.)

3. My very cheap ($17 or so) Nikon converter is a little too short, so the lens focuses past infinity. In practice, this means that you have to focus the lens on far objects--you can't just turn the focus all the way until it stops. I assume this also loses something at the near end, but I don't care. I could have paid more, in the range of $50 - $250 for the converter, but chose not to, as it is only for occasional use.

You may even find that some marginal lenses for 35mm cameras work better with m4/3

because only the center of the image circle is used.

<p>I use my Canon FD and FL lenses on my Olympus E-P1 from time to time. My favorite is my FL-F 500mm Fluorite lens which has an effective focal length if 1000mm when used on a 4/3rds camera. Other favorites are the FD 28mm and FD 35mm. Only downside is that focusing, with the E-P1, is all manual and can be slow. Other than that, I'm very satisfied with the results I'm getting.</p>

<p>I have a Panasonic G1 m4/3 camera and use my FD lenses on it a lot. I have the 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 and f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.8 and the images I get are very nice. I bought a cheap Chinese made adapter and it works fine. Since there is no mirror to deal with, no glass is needed for the adapter. If you want to see some sample images here is a m4/3 forum with sample images.<br /> <a href="http://www.mu-43.com/f81/">http://www.mu-43.com/f81/</a></p>

<p>The FD lenses work fine on my NEX but they will not fit the other Sony DSLR orSony hybrid cameras without a glass insert. The forcal distance from the rear element to the focal plain of the camera is entirely different....so, for a standard 4/3 lens they have a different focal plain than the M4/3 cameras. I think the same applies for any DSLR camera.</p>

For m4/3 FD lenses work well although the EVF helps a lot as does live view. Focusing fast FD lenses like the 85 F1.2

can be hard without live view or a zooming EVF. I suspect this may be a challenge on 4/3. I am also unsure if you can

get adaptors as the flange focal distance is only 3mm less on 4/3 than for FD so the adaptor must be very thin. For M4/3

the difference is 23mm so adaptors are easy to make.

<p>Yes, the flange distance and the mount pins of the FD lens does not allow enough room for use on the 4/3 camera you have, but micro four thirds body has shorter distance and so a decent size tube can be made to snap in and get alignment for FD and almost all other old lenses. Problem is to find an adapter that fits snugly, tough and hardy, and does not focus past infinity due to poor fit machine work. I tried a cheapie and did not like it all, others have better luck or lower expectations. Image quality will likely be pretty good, as FD was good design and Canon lenses of the larger apertures are well made and still do the job. Focus assist on some cameras is very usable in manual mode too...<br /> I gave up quest for similar usage, when I saw that the really close tolerance adapters of micro 4/3 to FD like Novoflex cost more than I want to spend at the moment for the "experiment" with my old FD lenses and manual focus and aperture priority at that. But that may change,who knows...If 200 bucks is in my stocking, I mean.... Also the FD lenses add some heft to the littler micro bodies one may or may not like. My FD 200 mm is a big hunk of glass, but Nice one....gs</p>

<p>Gary - I bought a cheapie as i was unsure that I would like the results and decided to play with a cheapie before getting a Novoflex. I found that my cheapie was actually quite well made and very solid. I may have got lucky but mine was from Jinfinance about 2 years ago. I have used it for lenses as big as my 300 f2.8 and it works fine - although with longer lenses you have to support the lens carefully. Focusing is quite tricky with fast lenses and you need either a tripod and live view or the EVF zoomed in when shooting handheld. I liked using my G1 with FD lenses but rarely use it these days as I days as i find I prefer my Leica M8 to my M4/3 and FD lenses. The image quality of FD lenses on the G1 is very high but some lenses (generally the cheaper ones) do not work well. Lenses like the 17F4, 24 F2, 35 F2 and 50 F3.5 Macro probably work best</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I have a Panasonic GH2, and I just ordered 2 adapters (one with tripod mount one without) from cieco7 who makes adapters in Poland. I chose his adapters based on many acclaims from professional Videographers from personal-view.com that are using the mount with FD lenses to make film with their GH2's. His adapters are said to fit perfectly, and infinity is supposed to be dead on. He even has a youtube video for the adapter, and you can hear the quality. I should have mine in about a week, so I can update then, but I expect to be very pleased. The non tripod mount adapter is here, http://fotoakcesoriaen.epoksystem.pl/index.php/shop/product?idproduct=31&productname=canon-fd-fl-micro-4-3 His price on this adapter is also very fair, and I actually ordered a used one from his site, which I suspect is just overstock of the earlier version he was selling, same quality I am sure, just not quite as pretty, so you may want to check his used items and see if he still has some.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I find the kiwi FD adapter works best on canon FD lenses which have the thick metal collar to give focus out to infinity. The novoflex has a nice tight fit on the other ones - black mount - no thick silver collar and gives infinity focus on those. I also use the novoflex on the f2.8 400mm and 300mm primes and it is great - although moon shots are not quite as sharp as I was expecting.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I use an FD adapter with the circular fisheye 7.5mm lens on the EPL-1 and the EP-2. It becomes effetcively a 15mm lens with less distortion. A 50mm macro lens on the M 4/3 gives you a super sharp 100mm lens.<br>

Referring to the posting by MeMe above, the adapter by that guy in Poland fits these cameras:</p>

<ul>

<li><strong>Panasonic Lumix G1 ; G2 ; G3 ; G10 ; GH1 ; GH2 ; GF1 ; GF2 ; GF3 </strong></li>

<li><strong>Olympus PEN E-P1 ; E-P2 ; E-P3 ; E-PL1 ; E-PL2 ; E-PL3 ; E-PM1</strong></li>

<li><strong>Panasonic AG-AF100/101/102/103/104</strong></li>

</ul>

<p>This gives you an idea which M 4/3 may accept FD lenses or not.</p>