D800 CF card recognition

bill_brooks

<p>I have a recognition problem with a card from a very reputable local dealer, and I would rather avoid saying just which one as I may doing something improperly; I'm heading over there within the hour to see what the situation is. The SD card is fine. Thanks Eric--</p>

<p>Bill, compact flash is very established technology. I wouldn't expect the D800 to have any specific problems with CF cards in general. Obviously any one particular card could be damaged or is malfunctioning.</p>

<p>I still have one or two 256M CF cards from 10 years ago when I bought the D100. If I can locate them, I can test them on the D800 when I receive it. I think the main issus that such cards can only hold a few RAW files from the D800. It is like a roll of film with maybe only 6 frames to expose. :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>a Lexar 160MB 8x</p>

</blockquote>

<p>At 8x, how long does it take to write one NEF file from the D800 onto that card? Maybe 45 seconds? :-)</p>

<p>Could be interesting if there is some 100MP DSLR some day, and you have to change memory cards after each frame. :-) It is like using a view camera.</p>

<p>Hmmm, I'm getting some interesting info from pros here in town about some CF cards and the D800 that corroborates my experience. I am withholding saying that any particular card doesn't work (even though that is exactly what I have experienced) until I get word here or elsewhere that recognition has failed for any particular CF card or another.</p>

Bill, could you specify exactly which brand, which model, and what capacity cards have problems with the D800? People

can try out those specific cards if they have those combinations.

My first PC in 1987 had a 20M hard drive, yes 20M, not 20G. It can't hold even one NEF file from the D800. That is one

obvious issue if one has very old CF cards whose capacity is so small that they can't even hold one file from the D800.

<p>I've tried 5 different CF cards in my D800. The camera formats all of these cards, writes a file to them and plays back a photo stored on each of the cards, so I am not seeing anything unexpected with my selection of CF cards.</p>

<p>I tried a Sandisk Ultra II - 4GB, Sandisk Ultra II - 2GB (2 different copies), Sandisk Ultra II - 512MB and Sandisk 512MB.</p>

<p>The card brand that I purchased is: ProMaster, 16G 420X Compact Flash UDMA. www.promaster.com They are based in Fairfield CT.<br>

I hesitate to single them out, because the buzz I'm getting is that a fair number of other cards are not being recognized too, hence my original post.<br>

Also, it's still possible I could be improperly attempting to format, though the directions for both methods are direct enough. The camera shop folks said that Sandisks were all formatting. I have been very satisfied with Promaster cards in Nikons and Canons. Of course, they are not on the manual list of Nikon approved cards, so please no need to mention that.</p>

<p>Bill, Nikon USA should soon be sending me a D800 for testing, and I managed to find that 256M "no name" CF card I bought for the D100 back in 2002 (and paid $100 for it!). I have various 1G, 2G, 4G, 8G and 16G CF cards and several SD cards. I am also ordering a 32G Lexar CF. After I received the test D800, I'll try them all.</p>

<p>But I have no ProMaster cards. Most of my cards are either SanDisk or Lexar, plus a couple of Kingstons.</p>

<p>There can't be all that many people with D800 on hand right now. Hopefully those also have ProMaster cards can try them out.</p>

<p>You can also check DPReview's Nikon D4/D800 forum. If anybody discovers any issue, I am sure they'll talk about it.</p>

<p>Photo.net's D800 test sample arrived early this morning (Tuesday). As I promised, I immediately tried the D800 with all of these memory cards in the attached image. Each one of them works just fine. This is a fairly wide selection of cards so that I really don't think people should have any concerns, although there could be some issues with ProMaster.</p>

<p>Incidentally, this image of memory cards was captured with the D800 itself. I used the 105mm/f2.8 AF-S macro and SB-900 flash.</p>

<p>By the way, I paid pretty much the same price for the 256M CF card and the 32G Lexar CF card in the picture. I paid $100 for that 256M one back in 2002 for my then brand new D100; in fact, that was the very first CF card I have ever bought. I bought the 32G Lexar CF last week, also for $100. Looking back, it is hard to belive how much technology has improved in the last 10 years and how much flash memory prices have come down. After I formatted the 256M card, the D800 shows three RAW frames remaining.</p><div>00aCGx-453429684.jpg.57a5e9c9d0b8a658f2bebbb8aaf36958.jpg</div>

<p>Bill, I receive the very same error on both of the Kingston 16GB CF cards I have. One is a 133x and the other is a 266x. I use both of these currently in my D300 without any issues, so I'm very curious as to the problem. I was thinking about reformatting them on my laptop instead of in the D300 to see if that made any difference. Does anyone know if there is any issue with the filesystem used? FAT is the default, but perhaps there has been a change for the new D800.<br>

I also have several 2GB no-name CF cards that format and seem to work fine. Of course they only hold about 25 NEF images each.<br>

I have a 32GB Class-10 SDHC as well. This card works in the camera, however I have lost 5 images so far that are on the card, the camera can read the image (or it's preview, I can't tell) but those images will not be ready by Lightroom, so importing fails. I can copy the files, but so far I haven't spent much time to see if they can be read by another utility such as Nikon View.</p>

<p>I have been using the D800 for several days now. Over the weekend I mainly used those 16G and 32G cards (a total of 3 frames from the 256M card doesn't make much sense :-) ), and I have had no problem transferring any images. The only Kingston card I have is an SD, though.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

<p>Just tested a couple of 16gb Promaster 1317 or [pro]master on the red label. They are not labelled 1000X, but the vendor claims they are UDMA 7 and 150mb/sec<br>

Work fine in a Nikon D800E - no ERR or Card message. Formated with no issues.<br>

Speed tested with Zentimo v1.6.3.1219, in a Lexar Dual Slot UDMA7 reader firmware LX01 (LRW307URBNA) connected to a USB3 Renesas USB host (on an ASUS P8Z68).<br>

Multiple tests reveal averaged of 3 runs<br>

Read = 109 mb/s<br>

Write = 48 mb/s<br>

The write is commendable, but the read makes the card a 725X. Some 600X cards (ie Lexar) fit within the higher reading of ~110mb/s<br>

Any other comments?<br>

-= Chris =-</p>

<p>Addendum: By not labeled 1000X, I mean the cards. The box has a UPC code 29144-01317, and labelled 16GB 1000X / 150MB/s AWXC COMPACT FLASH. The actual plastic case needs a little mental reflection on quality. There is no lot number, as both cards had exactly the same codes and number PRINTED on the label. NOTHING etched on the card or casing. Maybe under the label???? Did not peel the label. Code CF16LGLV5-XX10K-D second line: 080212 1785189<br>

As previously mentioned, they do work on a D800E. We'll report if they fail within 90 days.<br>

-= Chris =-</p>

<p> </p>