XTOL Diluted 1:1 and Straight

<p>I've decided to focus on using XTOL as my primary developer and have started film testing Tmax 400 to determine my development time. I exposed several rolls of Tmax 400 120 using my typical method. I had intended to use XTOL at 1:1, however I got distracted and developed several rolls with XTOL undiluted.<br>

So, now that I have development times for XTOL at 1:1 and straight, can anyone give me any advice on when to use XTOL straight and when I might want to use XTOL diluted 1:1 ?<br>

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for any other film that they believe is particular suited for developing with XTOL ?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Charles</p>

<p>I use 1:1 for two main reasons - longer, more manageable development times, and I get twice as much film developed out of a single batch.</p>

<p>The other reasons, more film speed, less solvent affect, sharper grain, etc., are really great and desirable to me, but I can't say that I've ever run a side by side test with full strength XTOL to see how visible they actually are. The two reasons I mentioned first probably have a bigger impact on my photography :) But I like to think 1:1 benefits my film in visible ways.</p>

<p>If you,perchance,have kept that used batch of Xtol stock you are pretty close to discovering the joys of 'seasoned Xtol'.<br>

If you continue to use it,adding 80ml of fresh stock for each film,it becomes 'Replenished Xtol'<br>

You can expect finer grain,higher sharpness,and higher economy than 1:1. The film I used to compare the two methods was Fuji Neopan 400. Two 5x7in prints from 12x16in scale enlargements proved the point to me.<br>

You can read the threads on Apug.org for the finer points of replenishment.<br>

Xtol should be just fine with any b&w film on the market.</p>