MF lenses for use with G1?

robert_thommes1

<p>Is there any sort of conscensus for brands of older manual focus lenses to use on a MFT Panasonic G1(or any MFT camera, for that matter)? I'm considering purchasing a couple MF lenses, and would like some guidence as to brand of lens and perhaps specific focal length. I'm guessing that prime lenses would be preferred over zooms; since primes were better than zoom (in IQ) in the MF lens days. <br>

I currently only have a 14-42mm "kit" lens. I'm looking to try and get into this MF lens field by spending as little as possible at first. So, basically, I'm wanting suggestions that are GOOD and CHEAP. I wish to purchase only one adapter for now. Is there a good source for acquiring such lenses other than Ebay? Thanks</p>

<p>Go with Canon's new FD lenses. They are cheap and work quite well on my G1. Buy the adapter and a 50 f1.8 and you're on your way with a minimal investment. I own a bunch of FD and new FD primes and they delivery stunning photo's as long as I do my part. Best part is, my 300, 400 and 500 mirror lens act like a 600 f4, 800 f4.5 and a 1000 f8 mirror lens. It's a lot of fun too!</p>

<p>Well, the adapted lens prices are already way shooting up because of the current NEX, Panasonic, Olympus, and Samsung users, but your best bet is the "dead" mounts; those for which there are no digital mount cameras for them in production. Canon FD, Konica AR (Hexanon), Minolta SR (Rokkor MC and MD lenses), etc.</p>

<p>Well I tell ya, you got a great camera there, to use legacy lenses on. I Purchased my G1 as my 1st digital interchangeable lens camera purchase, because I refused to sell all my fast and High Quality Minolta and Canon mount manual focus Glass . Also i wasn't going to get a system unless I could use them on it. SO when i could finally afford to purchase the G1 i did so without a native µ4/3 lens. I used it for the first year with just My Rokkor/Minolta Glass adapted to it since i only had a few FD lenses i purchased that adapter later. but i tell you I did not notice any IQ difference between similar lenses from both systems. But for my Canon FD 50mm 1.2 lens i have no Minolta equivalent to compare it to. But I feel the Bokeh on my Minolta MC 50mm 1.4 is better than my Canon FD 50mm 1.4 lens. And the Minolta lenses for the most part seem lighter too.</p>

<p>I believe that Pentax made Takumar and Super Takumars. The ones I have are M42 and originally I used them with an adaptor ring in a K body. The adaptor to M4/3 didn't break the bank at less than $20. The lenses I kept when I auctioned off most of my film gear were the 50mm f/1.4, 135 f/2.8 and a Tokina 90-230 constant f/4.<br>

I also have a couple of EF lenses but of course they are only useful for my APS-C camera which rarely gets used.</p>

<p>Takumar is just what Pentax called their lenses at one time, just like Nikon calls their lenses Nikkor. It's not a special badge or anything. Of course, you could have just quickly verified this by typing "Takumar" into google. All of the lenses that Stefan mentioned are M42 mount lenses, which is why he said "I would have an eye on M42 thread lenses, <strong>esp.</strong> Pentacon, Yashica, Pentax." I think you're way overthinking this. Just buy some lenses.</p>

<p>I would think twice before entering the adapter game today. In the early days of m4/3 prices of legacy lenses were low and only few m4/3 lenses available. Now you can get very good primes designed for m4/3, some at reasonable prices. I have tried several 50mm primes, Olympus (OM 1.8/50) and Zeiss (ZM Planar 2/50) glass among these. None of these could keep up with the current m4/3 45mm Zuiko, both in terms of sharpness and bokeh. The only convincing results I have seen were those with Leica M glass, but these lenses have insane prices, even used. The only adapted lens I sometimes use is a 90mm Leica lens, but this comes from my existing collection...</p>

<p>I for one found a Tamron 90/2.5 and a Canon 50/1.4 - both in mint condition and for less than I was expecting. Luckily I also have a cheap source of relatively decent adapters (Google is your friend.) The Canon is absolutely amazing. True, I've gotten myself a new hobby (scouring second hand listings and visiting thrift stores periodically) but it was totally worth it.<br>

There is no "mother of them all" adapter / brand, unfortunately. But keeping in mind that the adapters are about $10-20 a pop and ship for free US Continental, I found it easier to stick one adapter per lens and leave it there. This way it doesn't matter what brand of lens I'm using - they're ready to go at any given time.</p>