7D or 1D Mk. II for Portrait Work

brian_wallace5

<p>In a few weeks I'm doing a portrait shoot for a few families - just simple family photos, nothing fancy or special or high end. I've done portraits before, namely senior pictures, and when I did it I only had a T2i and 7D so I used the 7D. <br>

Now I've swapped my T2i for an used 1D Mk II and am wondering for portrait studio type work if there's an advantage either way. I know that when it comes to field of view of bokeh there's a difference - but this will be indoor shooting at a background so bokeh isn't really a big factor. Is one really preferable to one another or is it really a question of which I'm more comfortable using?</p>

<p>Vertical grip is comfortable along with dedicated buttons for that aspect, and for the first while you command a little more awe value with the larger camera; if you have the grip for the 7 then you are going to be in the same spot. I liked the II myself, and did quick portraits with it alongside the XTi a few years back with dual and single strobe through umbrellas. I liked the 50mm on the II and the 85mm on XTi as a combo together shooting 6.3 with the former and about 3.5 with the latter for controlling depth of field with strobes. For natural light I used the 35mm on each sensor/body, and you will be miles ahead with the viewfinder on the 7 compared to the T2i. I just added two XTi 85mm indoor pictures from 2007 from quick event portraits by toilets (don't setup near bathrooms!), then another one already here with IIn and 50mm from 2009 with outdoor strobe (first picture), I think at apertures mentioned so you can see a difference at least, maybe (some close-ups of the one image here somewhere).<br>

Have fun, show us some results when you are done.<br>

http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/14302832-lg.jpg<br>

http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/15236692-lg.jpg<br>

http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/15236694-lg.jpg</p>

<p>Well, the 1D II is only ~8 Mpix, but there is something about the sensor that produces really nice images. I only borrowed them from CPS a couple of times, but everything I shot with is came out looking great. The only thing that keeps me from picking one up used is the horrendous battery...</p>

I have a 7D and 1DIIN but rarely take portraits with either (5DII is better). Despite t he apparent difference in resolution

there is little to choose between them unless you print large images. For large images go 7D for shallow DOF go 1D and

for normal size 10x8 I would probably go 1D. Play with them and you decide

<blockquote>

<p>7D, as the customer would want a large print - A3 or A2.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've printed 20x30's with the 1D II that look great. The only advantage the 7D has over the 1D II is the ability to crop. With 8 MP it's harder to crop heavily and maintain detail, but if I'm using the entire frame, I'd choose the 1D II every time. Nothing against the 7D, but the 1 series is in a class of its own.</p>