Problem with new D7000 -- 'dark circles' on images

julian_sanchez1

<p>Hello Everyone,</p>

<p>I just purchased a new Nikon D7000. After a few test shots I discovered that I can see dark, circular spots on some portions of the image. I'm not verse in the use of this forum so hopefully everyone can see my test shot attached to this post and the 'dots/circles' outlined. Here is what I can see:</p>

<ul>

<li>Spots always appear on the same place.</li>

<li>Spots always appear regardless of the lens. I have 3 lenses and all three show the same dark spots in the same place.</li>

<li>Spots always appear regardless of the ISO setting. I tested at 100, 400, 800, and 1600 with the same results.</li>

<li>Spots become 'sharper' as I increase my aperture. At f/8 they are fuzzy, large dark circles (like a water droplet) but at f/32 they decrease in size and become much darker. The attached picture is at f/32 since it's the one that shows it best.</li>

</ul>

<p>When I look at the sensor directly with the naked eye I don't see any dust spots anywhere. I haven't tried to blow on the sensor or clean it in any way. I have enabled the setting for sensor cleaning at on/off to see if that makes a difference, but it doesn't.</p>

<p>Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Do I need to send it back to Nikon or is there user error?</p>

<p>Many thanks for your help!!<br>

Julian</p><div>00ZrNJ-432741684.jpg.8c063426260baedd66826cd1f19ea819.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks so much for the input guys. Yes, the camera arrived yesterday evening so I don't think all that dust was because of me. It is a refurbished model so I don't know how much leverage I have when dealing with a dirty sensor.</p>

<p>I'm upgrading from a D70s where I never had any dust issues. I've leisurely changed lenses in all sorts of environments (even at the bottom of the Grand Canyon in the middle of a sand storm) and I still see no dust in the sensor. I guess pixel density makes it a lot worse now and should be way more careful from now on.</p>

<p>Best Regards,<br>

Julian</p>

<p>I have had mine for a year. At first mine took clear picutures but has developed the spots. I have blown, buffed cleaned it numerous times...the best I have found is to use the mirror lock and pointing the camera toward the floor and letting it slap home home two or three times. That seems to make it better but doesn't clean perfectly. I question if it is some time lubricant splash the mirror is causing. The New England Nikon rep refers to me as a neat freak...I have made a practice, since my D-40 days, to hold the camera face down any time a lens if off the camera.</p>

<p>If you bought it 'Factory Refurbished' I would contact the seller.<br>

If it was described as 'Refurbished But With a Dozen Spots On the Sensor' you might have to suck it up and pay for a clean. ;-)<br>

A lot depends on where you bought it from. Was it a shop like B+H or Adorama or an auction?<br>

At the very least a nicely worded enquiry to the vendor is free.</p>

<p>A factory refurbished camera should be EXACTLY as a new one except perhaps minor blemishes to the exterior body. The sensor should have been clean ed prior to shipment if it needed it.</p>

<p>You have two choices - have them swap it out for you (it should be a their expense for the shipping) or clean the sensor.</p>

<p><em>The built-in sensor cleaning function may help reduce some dust but will not completely solve the issue of sensor dust.</em></p>

<p>Chances are the built-in cleaning will not remove the dust that is there. A manual cleaning will. Being that the camera is, in effect 'new', the OP should not necessarily have to deal with a dirty sensor. A reputable seller will swap it out at their (seller's) expense.</p>

<p>But eventually dust will appear anyway so it may be a good time to learn how to clean the sensor.</p>

<p>I would suggest Julian check the shutter count, which may be of more importance that a small amount of dust which is easy to clean.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for all the suggestions and ideas guys. It really helps.</p>

<p>The camera was purchased online at wolf camera. The description says 'Factory Refurbished' and the box is from 'Nikon Reconditioned Product'. The box also says on a label on the side that 'This product has been reconditioned to Nikon factory specifications by Nikon Inc. and is covered by a (90) day limited warranty'.<br>

The camera had 1100 shots on it only.</p>

<p>If sensor dirt will be common with this camera due to pixel density I have no problem with keeping it and either clean it myself or have a professional service do it. What confuses me is that I've been shooting a D70s with complete disregard to sensor dust, changed lenses in the middle of sand storms and dusty places, and even today I double checked and have zero dust on the sensor.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Julian</p>

<p>Just learn how to wet clean the sensor yourself. It really is no big deal. I'll bet once you wet clean your sensor it will remain clean for a long time. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.visibledust.com/index.php">Here</a> and <a href="http://www.photosol.com/store/pc/home.asp">here</a> are two respectable companies who sell complete cleaning systems.</p>

<p>I guess it's unlikely to be dead, but when you turn the camera on and/or off (or do the CLEAN NOW option), can you hear it cleaning? I can hear the cleaning function on my D300, sounds like a very small mouse being strangled inside.</p>

<p>The occasional mirror-up and a few blasts with a hurricane blower have meant I've never had to wet-clean my D300 sensor in over 100000 frames, and yes I do get dust-bunnies but they go away on cleaning with auto-clean set on START UP & SHUT DOWN.<br>

A 2 stop under-exposed shot at f22/32 of the sky, set out of focus, shows every single speckle. This gives the worst case scenario.</p>

<p>C'mon.... Just clean the sensor instead of complicating your life with calls, sending the camera to be cleaned or changing the camera.....<br>

I think you shouldn't be given a camera in that condition but since it is already there..... WE ALL have to clean the filters every now and then, so just do it and enjoy the camera..... Good luck..... </p>

<p>Hi Julian,<br /><br />My friend bought Nikon D7000 and she had the same problem – spots on picture, brand new camera. It turned out there was oil on camera's sensor. She took camera back to the seller and they told her it was a known issue with D7000. They cleaned it; apparently sometimes even some small part has to be replaced… Since camera was under warranty, there was no cost. Just look through internet, there are some discussions about this issue:<br /> <a href=" Before the D600 there was this: Oil Spots on a Nikon D7000 Sensor /> <a href="00Z0eb">photo-net</a><br /> <a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=39977521">dpreview</a><br /> <a href="http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28803&sid=ee40eb1e7b77caf9c5f94437fd55fd82">Camera Labs</a><br /> <br />Best regards,<br />Petra</p>

<p>Petra,</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your note. Indeed the problem described by the links you sent me are closer to what I have. Most dots (at least the biggest ones) are on the right side of the frame. I had no idea this oil problem could take place. </p>

<p>I presume that if it is oil I will see the dots again shortly after I clean the sensor? I'm thinking to clean the sensor on my own (or have a professional service do it). If spots come back then it's definitely not dust so I can then make a case with Nikon.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Julian</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

Julian, as far as I know - what my friend told me - it is better to have it professionally cleaned, since the problem is the source of the oil. I guess oil is not so easy to remove from the surface as dust. That is why sometimes they have to replace some small part, that is leaking oil. Apparently some parts have too much oil on it. She had it cleaned and had no problem since.</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

Petra</p>

<p>While it is under warranty, I would let either Nikon or the seller do the cleaning so you don't risk voiding the warranty. Dirt on sensors is the bane of digital photography. However, it is also a soluble problem. Scratches or damage to the sensor is more problematic. Because of the electrostatic nature of the sensors, keeping them clean will always be an issue. I know my own practice is to be much more careful when and where I change lenses, etc. </p>

<p>I also own the D7000 and have this problem. I bought a sensor cleaning kit and cleaned the sensor no problem. But this was not even a month ago and already the spots have returned. My question is, if oil is leaking, how long until damage is done from lack of lubrication, or oil being where it isn't supposed to be? Fortunately I bought the extended warranty and will be taking the camera in for evaluation of this problem. I will post the out come in the future.</p>