rgrambo

<p>At ITT in nutley nj 1972,<br>

they had a camera that was capable of 20 x 24 inches.<br>

the back was in a darkroom and the front was in the next room<br>

it looked like a giant view camera<br>

the lens was 3: in diameter and they uses carbon ARC lights.<br>

the front standard was motorized.<br>

the "film holder" had a vacuum to keep the film flat.</p>

Whoever made the mockup wasn't much of a photographer or historian. The real camera (if ever finished) will be different. Dennis Manarchy's camera is much too late. More impressive is the camera George R. Lawrence had built in 1900, the age of iron men and wooden cameras <a href="http://robroy.dyndns.info/lawrence/mammoth.html" target="_blank">http://robroy.dyndns.info/lawrence/mammoth.html</a>.

<p>I remember I once met a guy who told me that his father had a company making cameras to produce the printing plates for advertising panels, these cameras must have had a similar film format.<br>

Cameras for the printing business may have extreme dimensions, and cameras stretching over two rooms (one of them rather a darkroom for inserting the plates, focussing etc.) are not unusual in that business.</p>

<p>The massive size of the (illustrated) camera is a consequence of a person working inside the camera along with all the automation/animatronics. It's an ambitious project, considering the following:<br>

Each exposure will use the equivalent of 43 sheets of 8x10 film, with current prices for 8x10 B&W film in the $6-$10/ sheet range. <br>

The lens will need to project an image circle over 7' in diameter. <br>

The reproduction ratio looks to be about 4:1. I'm not sure how to get adequate dof under those conditions, but if it's possible, it will require a LOT of light. <br>

I imagine the resulting negatives will be "scanned" by a MFD camera and stitched together, then printed in strips, like a billboard, to form the 13' x 20' prints. </p>

<p>I can't begin to calculate the cost of such a project. Grandiose doesn't begin to describe the scale of it. I'll be surprised, and very impressed if it comes off. </p>

<p>"Do you know who makes the film?" <em>Almost</em> certainly Kodak. It would be quite ironic if the photographer had to shoot his American project on foreign film. Kodak has a $15,000 minimum order for custom cut film, but at appx $400/ sheet, the project should be able to meet that easily, given the scope of their plan. I wonder who's footing the bill for this project?</p>