follow-up (from 2010) : do you still shoot slide film with your M

didier

<p>Two years ago, I posted a question to know who among us Leica shooters do still project slides.<br>

The answers were very interesting, as I was surprised how many did still project there slides.<br>

I still shoot slides, because I like positive film, the crisp and saturated results.<br>

Slide film is the only color film I've been shooting in the past 10 years (yeah, luddism, I know...).<br>

With 3 outputs : projection (very rare, let's say 2 or 3 times / year), scanning (all of the slides I shot I consider worthwhile to spend half an hour on) and having them printed (let's say, about 10 slides printed per year) large (30*40cm or 40*60cm) at my local pro-lab.</p>

<p>I recently read CIBACHROME was about to die. This means, unless I miss something (and I'd like to...), it is almost the end of analog printing from slides. And almost the end of printing from slides.<br>

Add to this that decent (newly produced) film scanners get scarce (not to say non-existent) : Nikon stopped all its models, Hasselblad is out of range, ...<br>

... and I see the end of slide shooting for me in a not so far future (my fridge is still full of velvia, provia, astia), when my pro-lab has used all its Cibachrome stock and when my Nikon scanner gets in trouble from too much use (I hope sometime far from now).</p>

<p>What do you think ? Do you still shoot slides ? For how long will you go on ?<br>

I can hardly imagine myself bringing digital cameras in the mountains when climbing, as I cherish the possibility to be able to work with no battery.</p>

<p>Project slides?.....Not for nearly a decade. Use slide film?....Absolutely! <br>

My wife is an artist who's work is represented by galleries in Seattle and Santa Fe. Having color accurate archival copies of her paintings that have long since sold to collectors is very important. Not only do slides represent the best archival option, but they are a chronological resource that can be effortlessly viewed and understood as her work progresses. <br>

No corrupted files. No outdated formats. No retreval problems.<br>

Everytime a digital file is read by ANY software the color and contrast is altered. Sending a file via email has that file read many times. When there is a question regarding color or contrast by a client, the gallery can always refer to one of the slides made prior to the painting leaving her studio. Accurate prints are also available from scans of those same slides. Fuji Provia with cross polarization and color accurate strobes are the method.<br>

Incidentaly, I always have an M7 loaded with Velvia. I love the quality and feel. </p>

<p>I expect E-6 will go the way of Kodachrome within three years. Kodak is down to E100G and E100VS. Fuji has dropped Astia 100 (completely) and Provia 100F (down to 120 only), leaving only Provia 400X, Velvia 50, Velvia 100, and Velvia 100F.<br>

A&I is shutting down their E-6 line. It wasn't long after they shut down their K-14 K-Lab that Kodachrome was dead.</p>

<p>I do not know of anyone who processes Cibachrome in Canada - I am told it contravenes health and safety by the lab I used to use. I still shoot lots of slide film but only occasionally project (I do get them mounted though - but only 35mm - medium format I just cut). I am less pessimistic than John on E-6 and think it will survive although we will have limited film choice, limited suppliers and limited labs. If you look at Kodak's results the revenue of their film division has shown only small declines over the last two years and is their only profitable segment!. I also believe that film cameras sales have shown a revival in recent times. I suspect just like the LP 35mm film (including slide film) will become a small but sustainable and profitable niche business for some suppliers.<br>

I do scan most of my slide images these days with either my Nikon 9000 or 5000 - the fact that both of these machines can be sold used for about twice what I paid new suggests that there is still life in the film market.</p>

I only use slide film in any of my 35mm cameras. However I never project them, heat can damage slides and setting up all the paraphenalia is too time consuming. IMHO the only way to view slides is using a good hand held slide viewer in natural light. You get an image larger than most screens would give and if you own several you can pass them around a group of people and each can look for as little or as long as desired. Many have adjustable eyepieces. Look on EBay for Zadiix Royal Deluxe. Pana Vue has some good little ones if you can use s fixed focus ones (young eyes).

<p>Philipp, I completely agree with you : there is still life (and so much pleasure and so much interest) in the film market. But with almost nobody buiding scanners anymore, how will we scan when our scanners die ?<br>

John, I hope you are wrong ;-)<br>

Charles, YES, I had forgotten this : but I often happen to look at my slides with my Leica Loupe. Wonderful, but a selfish pleasure. And I need to be able to print.</p>

<p>Long live E6 !</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Yes, I like to use slide film very much. I use it as my primary color film as I do the E6 process by myself. I shoot 35 mm film with my Leica M and 6x6 with the Rolleiflex. I still have some Ilfochrome paper in the fridge and will have to buy some new paper before its all finished. It is a pity that Ilfochrome and a lot of film is disappearing these days. To me it's new that Provia 100 for 35mm is not produced anymore. Recently I was told in a large, professional shop in Barcelona, Spain, that Velvia 50 is not produced anymore in 120 format. Finally I do not know anymore who I should believe as Velvia 50 still available in all formats from the web.</p>

<p>Shooting with two synchronized cameras to get stereo slides and projecting them is really fantastisc! I hope slide film and E6 kits for home usage will still be available for many, many years.</p>