Which extras to buy for learning all different styles

wacovoice

<p>I started in photography for my sons sports, the problem is I got really good at it and after looking at the photos on here and the beauty that these photographers (you) are able to bring out of something or can create themselves I want to see what else I can learn to hopefully do the same one day.<br>

I only have a Nikon D90 with the kit lense 18-105mm 3.5-5.6. a 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 and a 50mm 1.8 and photo impact pro 13 editing program.<br>

I want to learn Landscape, Glamour, fashion, macro and fine art as well as digital alterations.<br>

I have around 3k to spend and would like some advice on what to get like a better camera or just get as much as i can get now for the learning process then worry about the better camera later. <br>

I have thought about studio lights and bg's etc but really do not have the room right now to use them so for the glamour and some of the fine art ones i would need advice on something that helps with outdoor and natural lighting etc.<br>

(Lenses, lights for outdoor, tripods, stands, reflectors and diffusers, filters etc.)<br>

Basically if you have 3k and nothing but what I have and wanted to do the most with it, what would your bag look like?<br>

Sorry its so long and thank you for your help.</p>

<p>I say start small:</p>

<p>tokina 12-24mm (wide angle)<br />tamron 60mm f2 (macro & shallow depth of field i.e. portraitures)<br />tripod (something steady but not too heavy)<br />another flash (maybe SB700)<br />software program (LR, Aperture etc...)<br />lightmeter: not neccessary but always nice to have to undrstand lighting:)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Visit Tokina USA [Google it] for the answer which seems to be no, they have two versions designed to work with both Canon and Nikon.<br>

There are wireless slave systems for using more than one flash together, as well as optical triggers for when you are working on your own and not in bright sunlight.</p>

<p>I agree with Lex...start with the tutorials and do what you can with your current gear. Then when you're feeling limited in some way by that gear, add what you need to solve that limitation. I also suggest focusing on one area of interest at a time rather than be overwhelmed trying to learn everything all at once.</p>

<p>Regarding a new body, that shouldn't be necessary, your primary expense will most likely be in lenses.</p>

<p>I echo the above sentiments - start learning more from tutorials with your money. Spending a lot of money on new gear before you really know what you need will eventually prove to be an unwise decision. You only need new gear when your current gear starts limiting what you can do technically. Sure, we'd all love to go out and buy the newest G1XYZNEX5D7000, but the reality is that more knowledge will improve your photography more than new gear will.</p>

<p>Ok dont think people undersood what i was asking or i didnt put enough info in it so i will clarify a little.<br>

I have been reading tons of tutorials, have signed up for classes and joined a group that gets together twice a month to work on shoots and I'm not looking for the "exp" equipment.<br>

While doing these things I will be trying to learn on my own as well as doing some of the things others have suggested trying.<br>

I'm looking for ideas such as something that can make it easier say when im working on an outdoor shoot that could come in handy like a certain tripod or diffuser stand etc because i wont always have someone there to hold it.<br>

I stated my gear so you can see that yes it is "limited" the skies get blown out no matter how you set it and even though they come out nice they could look allot better with a ND or polarizer and wouldnt mind knowing if maybe there was a couple i could get that would be handy in trying to come up with different looks than say buying tons of them etc, or even a different lense! you can train on what you have yes but if you have something that is made for what your learning it could be allot of help.<br>

For instance I want to work with models outdoors but the only diffusers and reflectors i find around here all are very small and they dont sell stands to hold them, maybe someone here knows of bigger ones and stands and can suggest some maybe. (but not tons of them just a couple that could maybe work good in different kinds of situations).<br>

Another instance, I would love to do macro work but if there was a lense that can do macro as well as other things that would be helpfull, im trying to learn a little about all and trying not to get into one thing im comfy with and buying that stuff then switching to something else and buying it etc. looking for ideas for a set up that can work and learn a little bit of all of it with basic equipment, then after i have some exp with them maybe ill choose one or the other to do more and buy better more specific equipment for that.<br>

Example something like this would be helpfull:<br>

ND and polorizer filter-to help with skies etc.<br>

Small diffuser and reflector- for indoor.<br>

Large diffuser and reflector- outdoor.<br>

This certain lense-good lense for all around lanscapes untill you know more of what your going for.<br>

This certain lense- Good for doing macro but it also comes in handy with...<br>

Your certain lense-its an ok lense to do this or that until you know more specifically of what you want to do.<br>

This certain stand- for holding your diffusers etc this one can be angled in all directions etc (this one can really come in handy).<br>

This is just an example but would need to know also where is good place to get the things suggested because where i live there is no stores here that carry it.<br>

Like i said i am and will be doing the other things (tutorials, school, training shoots etc) but it would be nice to use the right basic all around equipment ( not the most exspensive) for training.<br>

I will be working with the D90 and with the lenses i have but it would be nice to know what to add to it to enhance or improve (lenses) the training. <br>

Heck even a suggestion for a decent equipment bag would work lol.<br>

Thank you.</p>

<p>I think you might be best off trying one thing at a time; shoot, critique, shoot some more. If you decided to start with some landscapes (or cityscapes) then you would probably want to get a tripod, a remote release, a 1 and/or 2 stop neutral density filter in a holder, and probably a light meter. If you decided to try desktop macro then you'll need a few different things. When you find something that excites you then it's worth getting one or two really good items that work.</p>

<p>I do agree that one shouldn't try to learn too much at once or buy too much at once. I say, at most, two styles, two lenses etc...</p>

<p>Maybe macro and landscape. Maybe portrait and macro etc...I mentioned the 60mm f2 tamron for this -great macro and portrait lens in one- very reason.. The 12-24mm for landscape/interior as you already figured out, Matt.</p>

<p>I'll take a very small stab at a some of it.</p>

<p>Outdoor macro / landscape / portrait stuff.</p>

<p>As mentioned, a wide angle lens will open up the landscape thing. the 18-105mm will work, but you may find you want a wider view. For film, 24mm on a 35mm camera is popular. Some like to go down ever further. That turns out to be about a 16mm on a DX sensor camera. That's why lenses in the 16 - XXmm or 14 - XXmm are popular now. I would look into a good lens, not necessarily PRO lens, in that range. Don't go too slow, or your in the same ball park as your kit lens.</p>

<p>Most macro lenses make quite good all purpose lenses too. Many people still use the Nikon 55mm macro lens for lots of things. As a macro lens, it does make your working distance pretty tight, however. If I had my druthers and some of your money, I would look at the 105mm macro range. It would be a nice portrait lens too, I think.</p>

<p>Lighting for longer range shots of people, will require more flash power and bigger reflectors and umbrellas. Which means money. If it's more like " close ups in nature" kind of things, there are fold up reflectors you can get that will fit back in a back pack. I've thought about getting one of those. For out door flash, you may need multiple SB-700s or even SB-900s because they can project the light farther when "zoomed out" . Check out "the hot shoe diaries" book for ways to use off camera flash and reflectors.</p>

<p>For indoor people shots, a small 30" umbrella and decent stand may be all you need. They fold up small and don't take that much space when in use. You'll need a way to trigger your flash. Does the D90 support commander mode for the pop up ? I know the D7000 does. If not, you may need a third party adapter for that. The SB-700, SB-800, and SB-900 all can command other flashes , like the SB-600.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you for the help.<br>

Ive decided to get the macro and lanscape lenses you suggested think those will be great to have and to work with.<br>

Also getting a couple filters to help with the lanscape etc and getting a couple versatile stands to hold large reflectors and diffusers that i decided to make myself, and a pair of small folding ones ill just buy.<br>

I have a remote but will be getting the light meter you suggested, that will really come in handy.<br>

Also decided on another back up battery and a good tripod, I have one now but to be honest it stinks lol.<br>

Still do not know what editing program to get like Lightroom etc, but ill figure it out.<br>

Figure im going to still try a little bit of all but just in a little bit different way, for now im not going to worry about getting flashes, umbrellas, lighting etc. I really want to learn to do mostly natural lighting for a while and getting good at that and figure i can do some fashion, glamour, fine art, black and white and lanscape this way.<br>

This bag is for when i do my own learning and enjoyment.<br>

The groups ill be going to twice a month uses their lights, studio, models etc and figure ill learn all that there and I will learn what all ill need for what i like the most in there then get it later<br>

PS: I do need to find a place to buy stuff at, the town i live in has nothing, but i can go to Dallas TX to get stuff so if anybody knows a place there please let me know. Thank you.<br>

Thanks you so much for the help! If there is anything else you can think of please let me know. </p>

<p>If you are looking for more in-depth post processing than global adjustments (Lightroom), CS5 or even PhotoShop Elements are great software, among many. Nothing wrong with trying a "little of all". I did and still do this and find a wealth of learning in doing so. My approach was/is similar, except I am stretching the boundaries of my consumer level second-hands, rebuilds, gifts and adapted manual lenses across these genres. I really only have advice on macro introduction, though.<br>

My macro rig - Inexpensive CU filter lenses, reversing rings and extension tubes. Neewer TT520 Speedlite w/diffuser ($35). Zerene Stacker, for focus stacking techniques in post, if you would prefer more DOF. Bellows instead of extension tubes are often preferred by photographers, but that setup also has its disadvantages. Research.<br>

I use these (mostly tubes) on my standard zooms and primes. They will not yield results as a "true" macro lens would, of course, but I believe that in working to acheive true macro lens quality despite that fact makes a stonger case for your own personal justification in purchasing more costly equipment. Inherently, you will KNOW if macro is a group of techniques that you would even enjoy without having spent extra dough on a lens that may eventually collect dust and/or fetch less money than spent on re sell.<br>

Hope that helps.</p>

<div>00a1dx-443055584.thumb.jpg.3ce487227e23228d500d9a9fcc40e523.jpg</div>