Strange thoughts on the Nikon 800

Caledonia

<p>I think it's general consensus that someone with a D3100 and great lens can shoot a magnificent, beautifully composed, exposed, etc shot. Great subject, tells a great story, shot at a great angle, at the right focal distance, capturing "the moment" or subject that was intended on low resolution/mega pixels. That a Nikon D800 doesn't mean that someone not skilled or purposely "painting the shot" (right light, right settings, intended composition, patience, etc).<br>

So it seems that a lot of the skeptism has come from that fact that it's being advertised as a major mega pixel beast. But knowledge knows that for a non-skilled photographer, more pixels just accentuates a bad shot if it wasn't shot well, lit well or without the proper glass for the shot. I think more photographers are happy with the 12-16MP range when the camera has a focus on being quicker, lower buffer times, more shots per second, storage card features, low lighting, etc. Many may have been disappointed to see that the speed was given to the D4 and those looking to upgrade their D700 to a D800 were hoping for similar focus rather than a megapixel jump.<br>

These cameras become luxuries. If we have the available cash, we spend it. However to get those really nice shots, we still have to make the same lighting setups in the studio and get in the same positions at a live event as you would with a D90 (depending on the lens of course).<br>

The D800 seems like a great camera. It's a matter of whether you have the money and desire to make the jump.</p>

<p>I even read of someone who photographs motorcycles in motion sell his D3s for a D4, but then realizing that he couldn't afford a D4 so now he's considering a D800. Clearly he doesn't realize that the D800 isn't going to help in the area of shooting quickly. It's simply may give him 36 mega pixels of more blurred images.</p>

<p>Simply have to know what you want I guess. They are all impressive cameras really.</p>

<p>Interesting. Canon seem to have made the 5D3 better than the 5D2 in the ways that the D700 was better than the 5D2 (autofocus, low light performance, frame rate). Nikon have made the D800 better than the D700 in the ways that the 5D2 was better than the D700 (well, okay, mostly pixel count, although there's a load more stuff in the D800, some of which we don't know yet).</p>