Best low-light M43 camera with face recognition?

divo

<p>I'm looking for recommendations for a M43 camera with:</p>

<ul>

<li>best in class low-light (high ISO) results</li>

<li>face recognition a must</li>

<li>large viewscreen (possibly touchscreen)</li>

<li>interchangeable lenses</li>

<li>RAW format</li>

</ul>

<p>For those who haven't seen my previous post on a related subject, I'm looking for a camera that's really intuitive and easy to use for friends that aren't into photography at all. I regularly meet friends for coffee or dinner and like to pass around a camera while we talk and let everybody take a stab at portrait photography. It's informal, but we have fun and have ended up with a lot of great portraits and profile pics out of the bargain. The problem is that my friends find it hard to use my DSLR (both size and technique-wise), so I'm looking for options that are more intuitive and user friendly. If I could easily slip it in a jacket pocket that would be a plus. I also like to post-process the best photos, so RAW format would be a plus. I'm partial to fast glass. I would also view this as an every day carry camera for times when lugging the full DSLR kit around is impractical.</p>

<p>What would you recommend? Thanks for any thoughts you have to offer.</p>

<p>An example of the type of problem I'm trying to overcome<br>

<a href="../photo/15089892">http://www.photo.net/photo/15089892</a></p>

<p>The best m4/3 camera for high ISO is like winning a footrace among snails. None of them are going to be great at it, although if you want the current "best," it's a toss-up between the Panasonic GX1/G3 (same sensor, different camera layout) or GH2. The GH2 is basically styled as a mini-DSLR, as is the G3, so you'll want to go with the GX1. If you really need high ISO performance though, look elsewhere, like to the Sony NEX-5n or NEX-C3, which I would class as just as user-friendly, if not more. In addition, ALL m4/3 cameras have interchangeable lenses, that's the point of m4/3. That's like asking for a Nikon SLR, but only if it has interchangeable lenses. They also all shoot RAW. All of the current models have touchscreens, but the Panasonics that I mentioned above are among the best. I have a G2, and the nice feature of the autofocus system is that you can touch the screen on where you'd like the camera to focus. Yes, Olympus is "rumored" to have a camera released soon, but that is because Olympus and Panasonic love to play the rumor games. If I collected each rumor that came out of Olympus in the last two year's, you'd laugh your head off. The last rumor was that they were making a fast, high quality zoom for the m4/3 system, which turned out to be the 12-50mm f/<strong>3.5-6.3</strong>. Then, even after announcing the camera, it won't be available for a bit longer, and even after available, it will be hard to find, because unlike some of the larger camera companies, Olympus and Panasonic don't have the capability to quickly bring a product to market. So, buy based on what's available; there's a reason that photo.net blocks rumor sites.</p>

<p>Pick up the GX1 body, along with a Panasonic 20mm pancake and Olympus 45mm (m4/3 has a 2x crop factor, so that's an effectively 40mm and 90mm lens setup), and you'll be set for those types of situations. If you're willing to spend more, get the Panasonic 25mm instead of the 20mm. The 25mm is not a pancake lens, but is optically superior, at the cost of size and price.</p>

<p>My choice was the Lumix GH 2 model with its great simplicity in setting it for mode of <strong> iA</strong> operation- for the pure but simple of heart, re photo skills that is,-- along with a barrel of upscale features for the sophisticated a la we all. You get both, which is nice. With the 20mm pancake attached you get a fast good quality glass. How it will work in your bistros light wise is something for you to find out. No steady shot capability, but you can shoot reasonably fast shutter wise and it has good hand grip and viewfindering...<br /> I do not shoot over 800 ISO so that let's me out on that score. But I have not missed getting a barroom shot yet. Articulated LCD helps, cuts glare for those who like to point with LCD screen as most novices seem to...<br /> Face recognition works...You can <em>register </em>faces in software or shoot <em>general face recognition</em> mode by dial and ,by george, I find it works for me, better than I could do it .. Pana has well implemented this function.<br /> Not pocketable, but still light and easy to work with (Read UNINTIMIDATING). Not so $cheap as they all go, however. Users give it good reviews, some really 'groovy' on this model. Being a year old, I suppose there is something fresher around the corner, but hey....</p>

<p>From my experience of using a touch screen these past few months I think it would be a definite hazard for the casual shooter. It is a continual worry, along with the button which brings up the white balance menu* ... both have fouled up shots/shoots for me becuase I was not aware of the likely problems. Early on when letting my son 'play' with the camera he put the focus point in the corner not knowing the camera, He is 43yo and accesses/owns P&S and bridge cameras.<br>

I'm not sure if these days the casual shooter needs a viewfinder and if you fit it with the pancake I doubt if there is any advantage of the viewfinder over the LCD in the dark situations you stipulate is your need. IMO the viewfinder comes into its own when you are using lenses with reach despite the fact that most experienced photographers were brought up to put the camera to their eye, as I was and still prefer :-)<br>

*Pany G3</p>

<p>It looks like Olympus is about to announce two new lenses in addition to the new body, and one of those lenses is going to be a 75mm f1.8. The article talking about it says "metal design". Possibly a match for the 12mm f2? That, no doubt, would make it very expensive.</p>

<p>Pair those two lenses with the Panny-Leica 25mm f1.4 and maybe the Olympus 45mm f1.8 too, that's about as good as it gets in this system for low/available light photography.</p>