Your last hurrah for film.

alan_zinn

<p>John, don't get me wrong, but your wording suggested it. At least in Europe, with my clients, I have the total creative freedom about my images, as long as they meet the briefing. A good briefing is a distilled list of attributes for me to get an idea of what the client wants or needs. Any client rep or art director next to the camera is a disturbing element, because they hired me to envision the images and deliver - not the art director or client rep. If this would be the case, I don't mind if they grab their own cameras and hit the dust.</p>

<p>Maybe the presence of an art director is necessary when doing product or studio work, but definitely not in my kind of work. I am the one who checks the finder or the ground glass, not the AD or AE.</p>

<p>I'm telling customers that I use film. If they don't like it, it's not my problem. If they want the images yesterday, it's their problem. If they want an operator, I tell them to hire an operator and not me. Simple as that.</p>

<p>Clients hire me because they trust my senses, capabilities, experience and know how, so there is definitely no reason to be accompanied by a clown (or even two or - worst case - more!) who touches my ground glass or smears his fingers over it to tell me what he thinks will be better suited. Would be the same as if I would instruct my dentist how to treat my teeth.</p>

<p>Maybe it's different in different locations or continents. Like the copyright law: in the US clients can force you to transfer the copyright - something that is absolutely impossible in Europe. All you can legally do is to grant the usage, but the copyright remains in the property of the creator.</p>

<p>You can shoot whatever you want and what is comfortable for you. We've just had a discussion at the LF forum about this topic. If you prefer wading and sifting through hundreds of images and being glued to a computer for image corrections, it is your decision, which is fine if you like it. And if you like to shine by operating a 'complicated' camera, just enjoy it if you are happy with it and consider it a satisfactory profession.</p>

<p> </p>

------------------------------------------

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It will give you something to do,

but it won't get you anywhere.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>What a truly bizarre and rude post!</p>

<p>Complicated cameras? Art directors are "clowns"? I have shot large format (8x10 and 4x5) for over two decades professionally and never had anyone smear fingers over my ground glass. "Satisfactory profession"? I have no idea what that even means - my love of photography and my career have nothing to do with equipment choices at all. I have no idea why you equate an "operator" with digital and not with film - neither are hard to master and the images are the only thing that matters.</p>

<p>FWIW I had a studio in London for eight years and am now based in Boston USA. I have worked all over the world in the last 25 years - this is not about something being different on different continents.</p>

<p>Clearly you have no idea about professional photography, image making or how to conduct a sensible, polite conversation. Obviously you have some agenda or axe to grind about equipment - sorry I'm not interested in discussing people's prejudices or dealing with irrational and angry people at all.</p>

<p>John, forget it, you don't understand what I mean. I didn't have the intention to molest or to offend you.</p>

<p>However, your reaction shows that this topic is kind of delicate.</p>

<p>My apologies.</p>

------------------------------------------

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It will give you something to do,

but it won't get you anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...