I should have looked at the phot- half a lens for sale

<p><strong>cannot blame the seller and he does have high feedback.</strong><br>

<strong>The front ring described the lens properly</strong><br>

<strong>but there is no aperture or fovcusing</strong><br>

<strong>150757035097</strong><br>

<strong>plug this number in an ebay search page.</strong><br>

<strong>look at the photos wow</strong><br>

<strong>I won it for 10 on an asking price of 39.</strong><br>

<strong>In case you are not familiar with this lens, think of a typical 135mm lens only slightly shorter and fatter.</strong><br>

<strong>I have one of these so I know what it looks like.</strong><br>

<strong>stupit of me not to be more careful.</strong><br>

<strong>it goes without saying I will not pay for it as it is not "fully functional" as described</strong><br>

<strong>but again I cannot blame the seller. really.</strong><br>

<strong>he likely was fooled by reading the legend ring on the front.</strong><br>

<strong>BTW, if you see any of these lenses and you have a matching SLR</strong><br>

<strong>grab it as they are very sharp and far less expensive than the manufacturer's lenses</strong><br>

<strong>the canon fd mount is kludgy and the pentax k requires a rare adapter.</strong><br>

<strong>but for several others it is great lens.<br /></strong></p>

He listed it as used. Not as parts.

Not as described, and I would bet($10) EBay buyer protection would agree. Shipping back to seller is going to cost you

as much(more) as this part though.

I have my share of cheap worthless eBay junk myself. I would just write it off as an "oh well" learning experience.

<p>A few years ago I bought what I thought was a regular 135/2.5 Canon FL lens. I already had a few but the price looked right. The photo was of the front only and that looked fine. When the lens arrived I saw that it had been modified. The focusing mount was missing and was replaced by a thick metal cover. The aperture mechanism worked manually. Instead of a Canon FL mount at the rear it had a 58mm screw thread mount. Of course I kept it. Who else has one of these? </p>

<p>Technically, the seller made no misleading misrepresentations. He posted several photos of the actual item, and his description text consists of nothing more than a repeat of the auction title... <em>Spiratone TELEPHOTO YS lens f=85 1:1.7 japan no. 101063</em>.</p>

<p>It was listed as "Used" (i.e. fully functional), but there was no intent to mislead. It should have been listed as "For parts not working", but it's immediately obvious that it is incomplete, even if the seller did not know that. But if you did pay and then open an eBay case after receipt of your paperweight, eBay would of course decide in your favour as long as you returned the item. The process is weighted 100% in favour of the buyer (as it should be in most cases).<br /> -</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I did not pay yet and I do not INTEND to pay</em><br /><em> I just hope he cancels the sale without predudice.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>On the other hand by refusing to pay and honour your binding obligation to complete the transaction, the seller is also 100% within his rights to file an unpaid item claim if he chooses, which will result in a unpaid item strike against your account.</p>

<p>I would suggest you make the first move by contacting the seller and admitting that <strong>you</strong> made a mistake, and then and only then diplomatically inform him that the item is incomplete and should have been listed for parts. :-)</p>

<p>Parts at best. It looks to be only the front lens block. At least half the lens is missing, including rear lens assembly, lens mount, focusing helical and aperture. Do what you must to get out of this sale, it wasn't listed correctly. To wit:</p>

<p>Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. </p>

<p>That's right off the completed auction page. </p>

<p>My 2 cents - </p>

<p>It is obvious to me that the lens shown in the photos is not complete and probably has some fungus issues as well. </p>

<p>When you bid on the item - remember the wording - "By bidding you are agreeing to purchase the item you are bidding on. Do not bid if you do intend to complete the transaction as you are entering into a legal contract" or something that effect. </p>

<p>The seller may decide to cancel the auction - if you are lucky. If not, I'd suggest paying for the item, getting it then filing the claim with Ebay and paypal - saying that the item was not as advertised nor working. </p>

<p>Send him a nice email - asking him if he would be willing to cancel the deal - state your case plainly and factually - who knows? It might even work - because there is a lot of hassle involved on the seller's end for a bad sale too. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>You need to take some action, just not paying will result in your taking some kind of ding from eBay. </p>

<p>It's only $10 so, if it were me, I'd use the element as a loupe and remind myself to read the description and look at the pictures more closely in future.</p>

<p>Good luck, but you need to take some kind of action - first, contact the vendor.</p>

<p>I will add my 2 cents as an ebay seller for 10 years. I would just write the seller and explain. I have had that happen and was more than willing to cancel the transaction. After all, ebay usually sides with the buyer and it is cheaper to cancel than to pay for return shipping. Usually sellers are reasonable. Just my opinion...</p>

<p>That's the great thing about ebay. Every now and then you are tempted to gamble on a pig in a poke. You win some and you lose some. You lost this one, but you only had $10 in. Looking at the listing I don't believe that there was any mis-representation on the part of the seller, only ignorance. Check out his completed sales. He is clearly not a camera guy, but his photos represented the item very well. Take the $10 hit and move on. It's not even worth the return shipping or the bad blood. The next seller who lists an item that he does not have a clear understanding of might be of great benefit to you.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I did not pay yet and I do not INTEND to pay<br /> I just hope he cancels the sale without predudice.<br /> personally, I am inclined to give him the benefit of not knowing what he had<br /> and treat is as an honest mistake.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thats the sort of attitude that makes ebay a pain to sell on. Its quite obviously your fault, if you had spent 10 seconds looking at the pictures you would have realised the item was only the front element.</p>

<p>I've sold things on ebay before, and then the buyer has just decided they dont want it (as they didnt read the item description stating it had fungus). Im pretty sure if I wanted to file an unpaid item claim I would have to wait 7 days or so before opening the case. This would waste my time, as a genuine buyer could have purchased the item within those 7 days.</p>

<p>Pay for the item, and accept it as a rookie mistake.</p>

<p>I agree with the last posts. Ebay sellers are supposed to know what they do, but ebay buyers are as well. The seller included a photo which clearly shows that this item is NOT a complete working lens. And if you buy such an item you are obliged to pay. <br>

I once sold a used (complete and working!) lens and mentioned in the description that the filter thread was slightly dented. I included a photo where the dent was clearly visible. The buyer paid and gave me a positive feedback but mentioned "that's what he calls a minor dent". Of course I placed a comment to this feedback reminding him of the photo I included. </p>

<p>The guy's text advertised a lens of a particular model. If he sends Walter half a lens, he has not sent the item advertised. He has to make what he writes in the text and what's in the photo both accurate - some pretty huge inaccuracy like not writing "only includes one half of the item" is certainly the sort of error that should result in the transaction being reversed.</p>

<p>Walter, sellers want to maintain a high feedback rating. They don't want you giving them negative feedback. The seller has the ability to cancel the auction (with your approval) and to get his seller's fees back. He will WANT to work with you to resolve the issue amicably. I've been on the other side a couple of times and canceled the transaction for the buyer:</p>

<p>Some kid won an auction of mine for a radar detector and then wrote within 2 min of the auction close to say this detector is an older model that doesn't work with whatever more recent frequencies. The fault was all his. I described it thoroughly and accurately. I canceled for him and got my selling fees refunded. Positive feedback received and much appreciated.</p>

<p>Some woman clicked "buy it now" for a storage device I was selling. She then wrote to ask whether it was compatible with Windows 7. She should have written BEFORE clicking "buy it now." I told her that it came with an older driver, probably worked with Win 7, but that I couldn't make any guarantees. She asked to cancel, and I canceled. She didn't even leave me positive feedback for being so helpful and forgiving! Geesh!</p>

<p>Lots of blame (mistakes) to go around on both sides of this transaction. :)</p>

<p>Mistakes happen. Most problems with eBay transactions can be resolved quite easily without any aggravation if there is honest and polite communication from both parties. Like Sarah I have cancelled a few transactions where the buyer made a mistake by not reading the description text (or even looking at the photos). It can be really annoying if it is an auction with a lot of followers that is ended early with a Buy It Now only to be immediately followed by an "Oops" request to cancel, but it's seldom if ever worth the hassle to push the issue when an obviously honest mistake has occurred.</p>

<p>On the other hand, buyers who win an item, don't pay, and then go dead silent with absolutely no communication get an automatic unpaid item claim filed against their account.</p>

<p>As with most misunderstandings in life, communication is the key.</p>

<p>yes well the man graciously cancelled.,<br>

so I did not have any hassle<br>

in my case " OH it;'s Mary:"" NO IT is george.<br>

How could i SEEthe difference.<br>

I was burned once. I bought a Miranda YS adapter from a non0elglish speaker in AU. It appeared that , while mounted on a heavy lens, it was dropped on a sidewalk.<br>

Someone told me he could fix it.<br>

the seller offered me to let me return the item ay my expense, higher than the coast of the item. not a good deal.<br>

the other was a long zoom with a fl0ating element<br>

(hear it rattle when you shake the lens)<br>

the seller refunded my money. left me with the lens.</p>

<p>there was a acrewed up motherboard that was straighened out easily.<br>

so I have not been really hurt.</p>

<p>BTW thanks for all the interest and res[ponses<br>

I and I hope everyone else will read and LOOK more carefully in the future.<br>

Most ebay sellers are honest.<br>

I do admit when I see a camera selling fror a dollar and free shipping, I bid 1.25..<br>

I have not won anything but who knows. If it is incompatible with my cameras I can always<br>

offer a gear giveaway. and make someone else happy.</p>