D800 - aerial photography

taildragger

<p>Exactly what I am looking foward to... 3 times the resolution compared to my faithful D300. Keeping the camera steady enough will be the main challenge, I suppose, at least with the sort of plane I fly with. VR will be essential, even if I would love to use the 50 mm f/1.4 AF-S for its sharpness. Wait and see...</p>

<p>Not sure if high resolution would be especially helpful for aerials. But shooting at a high speed would relieve the need for a tripod where it is not possible to use one. In my experience, I could get some good shots with the D300 (yes, VR at Active), especially when the subjects are side-lit. I will surely try it with the D800 as well.</p>

<p>Thanks guys for the responses. I keep my shutter speeds as high as possible 1/500th and faster. I also have a ken-labs gyro that I use on occasion (very heavy and tough to use when you fly and shoot). My main lens' are a 24-70 and 80-200 f/2.8 Nikon. As far as usage of the files it depends on the clients. Some just use the digital files on computers/web and the images may never get printed whereas some enlarge them to wall size and beyond (which I use my Pentax 67 for). </p>

<p>To take full advantage of the 36MP from the D800, you need stability as a lot of people have already pointed out, and you need a clear day. Any haze, etc. will make those 36MP meaningless. In that sense it is not that different from your Pentax 6x7, so I am sure you are already familiar with the issues. The main difference is that there is no VR on 6x7.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Not sure if high resolution would be especially helpful for aerials.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /><br>

Resolution is usually everything in aerial photography, depending on the type of work. I would think 36mp is a big deal. I used to use 4x5 and Hasselblads (and roll LF film when I worked for someone else) when I made money doing aerial work. Bigger (or more mp) is better. I would also look at the D800E model.</p>

<p>Yeah, I agree with the importance of resolution for aerials. I was torn between the 800 vs the 800E and decided to go with the 800 just because I didn't want to deal with moire. I think it will be an easier workflow to sharpen images than to address moire. Thanks to everyone that responded. I appreciate your thoughts on this topic. Once I get it I'll post some updates.....hopefully it's all good. :)</p>

• 1 year later...