a film camera for blogging, street shooting. recommendations?

amir_vii

<p>Hello Guys<br>

<br /> I have been mostly shooting medium format, I just want to get a 35mm so i can take out for street shooting. Something with a fast lens so i can get some decent looking night or low light shots like lets say in a Cafe or something.<br>

Basically for anyone who knows about blogging and more specifically TUMBLR type of photos is what I'm looking for.<br>

Tumblr is basically a blog site and it has a lot of blogs with some cool film shots.<br>

<br /> A local guy is selling the following cameras, I'm not sure which one i should go with. <br /> <br /> - Canon QL 19 for $150<br /> - Yashica 35 Electro for $100<br /> - Canon AE-1 with 50mm lens for $150<br /> - Minolta Hi-Matic 11 for $100<br /> - Minox GT with 35mm F2.8 lens for $150<br /> - Ricoh 35 Electronic with 40mm F1.8 lens for $100<br /> (Canadian $)<br /> <br /> With these cameras would i be able to manually set my aperture and shutter? I saw some shots taken from these cameras on flickr and my favorites seem to be the Minolta Hi-Matic 11 and the Ricoh 35</p>

<p>Any of them, and in fact, any camera at all. The only reason medium format ones aren't usually considered optimal for street photography is not so much the size but more because they have less depth of field at a given aperture than a 35mm camera does. It makes it less practical to just set the camera at a fixed shutter speed and aperture and forget about focusing each time... but not impossible.</p>

<p>Canon A1 with 50mm 1.8. </p>

<p>The A1 was the first multi-mode camera Canon (anyone?) ever produced and a truly under appreciated camera for its capabilities. It's a little fiddly to use but once you get used to it it's a dream. </p>

<p>And the 50 1.8 is an excellent lens. Sharp as a tack. If you really want you can upgrade the 50 1.8 to the 50 1.4 at a later stage, or just buy an 85 1.8 and live happily ever after.</p>

<p>thanks kayam<br>

from the pictures i'm seeing the canon A1 seems bigger than the other cameras i had in mind, i'm not sure if this is true. can you confirm?<br>

i have a canon FD 50mm 1:2 from my previous broken canon that my dad used to own (canon T50)<br>

not sure if the lens is working or not, is that a good lens? I remember asking here how much the lens is worth and they said around 20$ which is a bit surprising when its a 1.2 lens </p>

<p>Amir - yes the A1 is definitely bigger than the Canonet, Yashica and Minox, though it's not a large camera by any means. At least, not compared to some of its peers. Don't know about the Ricoh 35 but since it's a rangefinder I'm guessing the A1 is bigger than that too.</p>

<p>As for the FD 50 2.0 - can't comment on the quality of the lens since I've never come across one. It's actually quite rare (note - that doesn't mean it's valuable). See http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/50mm.htm</p>

<p>That said, it's likely to be a decent lens. It's hard to screw up a 50mm lens, and Canon had certainly gotten the formula down by that point. I'm not sure why they built a lens that's slightly slower than the 50 1.8 since that was pretty much the standard introductory kit lens they sold at the time. </p>

<p>Throwing a bit of a curve here, quite small black manual shutter/aperture SLR for low light with a wide range of lenses available? Ricoh KR5 Super II, takes K-mount lenses and has an LED +- in the viewfinder. Neither of mine needed new mirror bumpers or light seals, a big plus in my view. Alternative would be Pentax ME Super which has a LED indicator in the (awesome) viewfinder and can be used in manual mode if you don't mind using buttons instead of a dial. I have a raft load of SLRs and the ME Super has the quietest shutter of them all. The semi-pancake Rikenon 50mm f2 lens is fantastically sharp and usually very inexpensive on Ebay.</p>

<p>Way too expensive unless covered by a long warranty! i am in Toronto, Canada. There are sales of "historical" cameras every few months and also at St. Lawrence Market every Sunday. I purchased a Chinon(yes! made in Japan) SLR with a nice lens for $10.Street sale. See Goodwill and Value Village. A Pentax MG and a ME-Super with a fault)were each about $40. They all work fine. Biggest problem is deteriorating light and mirror foam. Canon Ae-1 and AE-1P are great. The Canon A-series must use the correct lens! FD and FL not same coupling. The feel of the cameras are very similar to Leica and the lenses of same period, mostly better, in less, flare etc.<br>

The Canon A-1 is a great camera but problem if service reqd?. If anyone can give more details here..</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Old thread so I don't know if the OP made a purchase. Why buy such an old Canon? Why not get something like a Canon Elan 7N or 7NE? They are pretty new and you can find some with minimal wear on ebay for less than $100 if you are patient. They accept newer EF lenses and have all the bells and whistles you would expect in a modern DSLR.</p>

<p>If you want to do street photography modern autofocus and auto exposure are a big help. I would leave the antique 35mm stuff to collectors.</p>

<p>There are several styles of street shooting, and some of those work better in one style than another. I like a quiet shutter and and a 35mm lens. A normal lens doesn't have much reach. The little Canonet has a 40mm f/1.9 which is very nice. The better model is the QL 17 G-III which has an f/1.7 lens that is beautiful. You can range focus, or scale focus these in a second. It is small, quiet and unobtrusive. It has shutter priority auto exposure. Bad news is that it is limited to ASA 800 film speed. A clean ready to shoot Canon will cost about $100. </p>

<p>The Yashica GSN is a good alternate, but it is a little larger in size. It has a f/1,7 45mm lens. Not as wide as most people might want for street. It's a fantastic camera though in all regards. A nice one that is ready to shoot will cost about $75. </p>

<p>The Canon AE-1, or any similar program mode SLR has a few disadvantages. Heavier, larger, noisier, and more intimidating looking when you point it at someone in the street. For street shooting, you don't need to have interchangeable lenses. And don't forget - the main reason people like RF for street work is that you are never blinded by the mirror of the SLR. If you do go for an SLR, get a 35mm lens. It adds another $40 or so to the cost, but it is more useful than the 50mm normal lens. AE-1 goes for about $65.</p>

<p>Autofocus is a plus and minus situation if you start looking at newer cameras. They often focus on the wrong thing when you are in a hurry, and there is often a lag that is annoying for street shooting. Having tried all kinds of cameras for street, my preference is a manual focus RF with a 28mm to 35mm fast lens. A small rangefinder with a pancake 35mm and quiet shutter is quite ideal for working in close quarters with people as you mentioned in cafe settings etc.</p>

<p>Some people shoot street with TLRs or big MF boxes, or high-end SLR, and all sorts of stuff. Opinions will vary. Good luck! </p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>thank you guys for your help, which one of these would you say is a good choice for blogging photography? I'm going to mexico soon and I want to have a small camera that i can carry around easy instead of a big DSLR around my neck. </p>

<p>Ricoh 35 Automatic. Fully automatic rangefinder with 40mm F1.8 lens <br /> Canon GIII QL17 manual/automatic rangefinder with 40mm F1.7 lens <br /> Canon A1 manual/automatic SLR with 50mm F1.8 lens <br /> Olympus OM-1 manual SLR with 50mm F1.8 lens <br /> Minolta XG-1 maual SLR with 50mm F1.8 lens<br /> Yashica 35 Electro semi-automatic rangefinder with 45 mm F1.7 lens <br /> Fujica 35 ML manual rangefinder with 45mm F2.8 lens <br /> Pentax Spotmatic manual SLR with 35-105 zoom lens <br /></p>

<p>I shoot with both rangefinders and SLR's and own most of the cameras on your list. For you I would recommend the OM-1. Very small and light. Interchangeable lenses. The 35mm f/2 is a great lens. Wonderful bright viewfinder. </p>