walter_strong2

I've been mulling over whether or not to spring for the D60 and to

that end I've spent a lot of time here and over at CANON DIGITAL

PHOTOGRAPHY. The forum on CDP has caused me to think the D60 was

rushed into production before it was ready. Therefore, I've decided

to wait until the second generation comes along, maybe in a year or

two. This jives with the commonly offered sage advice to not buy the

first version that comes down the pike.

None of us would have a personal computer yet, if we had waited for perfection. Me, I'm having a blast with my D30! And thousands of phototgraphers are making a good living with D30's and D60's.<p>

You're right, though, to make your purchase when the product seems to be what you need, and not before. For many of us, that moment came sooner than for you.<p>

Cheers.

I owned a D30, sold it, and waited almost a year to get a D60 (I refused to get on a waiting list for a camera). I was delighted with the D30 and am much more so with the D60. The in-camera-settable parameters (contrast, saturation etc.) and lighted AF points are a welcome improvement, and the resolution is incredible. The small sensor area still creates a problem with wide-angles but for $2K vs $7.5K for the 1Ds I think I can deal with it ;>) I agree that digital cameras still have a ways to go--one more doubling in pixels and a huge drop in price--which is why I'm going to pass on the 1Ds and hang with the D60. The RAW files let me print to the maximum size my Epson 2200 allows, with no interpolation. That's all I ask of a digicam at this juncture.

The thing is, at what point can digital cameras no longer be improved upon. CNBC now reports that personal computer companies are no longer looking to make major improvements in home computers because those improvements would be redundant and people will not pay for them. At what point will that happen with digital cameras. How many pixels can be put in a camera. How small can they get.

Kevin

Even with all the hubub I have been reading about certain little quirks of the camer a I would have to say that if I could afford one I would definetly buy it. I am majoring in Photgraphy, andminoring in journalism and have come to realize that the day may come sooner than even I may think that I will have to buy a digital SLR. This coming from someone who has only been playing with an older EOS(630) and spent most of my life with the FD system,at least a third of it anyway. I checked it out and think it seems to be really hot for a a digital SLR. I have also spoken to a few photgraphers for our local newspapers who love them. They also love the price over the 1D.I'm wiht Keith any one who wants to dump there premature DSLR, I have a good home for it!

IMHO, the D60 is a very capable (not perfect) tool, and in the right hands, is capable of producing absolutely excellent images in many (not all) applications.

I�m not basing this opinion on any forum. My experience and results shooting 1,200+ frames with a D60 is the basis for my opinion.

No one is forcing you to part with your $2,200 at this time, and if you wait for the next generation DSLR, it is 100% certain that price/performance will have improved at least 100%.

Well I've not got a D60, nor will I be getting one - I do too much work at very wide settings to make it be much use to me. BUT the stuff at Cano nDigital Photography wouldn't put me off if I was - I would be amazed if they haven't already resolved the failure problems in production (the advice I would give is not to not buy the first version of anything, but to never buy from the first year's production of a particular model - and that holds good for everything except PCs), and everybody knows about the issue with poor AF and flash exposure issues. In the meantime, my main EOS bodies are the 3 and the 5. If I had believed everything about them on various forums, I wouldn't have bought either - and thus missed out on two of the very best AF SLRs ever made. I suspect the same applies to the D60.

Now, when we see the D120 with the EOS 1DS sensor, I suspect I'll be up for it!

Having put more than 5000 frames through my D60 since the begining of September, I can say that....

I LOVE THE DAMN THING!!!!

Is it perfect?? No...

Does it wipe for me after I poo?? No...

But, DAMN IT DOES NICE WORK!!!! Yea, they'll improve it just like any other new technology.

Yea, I still have an EOS5 body laying around if I want to shoot wide, but more often than not, I'm holding my D60. Not only that, but I sold enough pictures in the first month to pay for it.

The way I see it... Now, every time I pull the shutter, its making me money, and I don't have to mess with film, incompetent development, or the inconvenience of having to choose only one film for a shoot.

If its not for you.... great! If it is... great! I can only share my experience.

Regards,

The D60 was the first digital camera capable of being used to publish high quality images at a reasonable price. OK maybe you can't print them all the way up to 8 x 10 size but you can fill part of the page without anyone perceiving a difference from film-based photos. The advantages in the field are amazing. You can get great super-tele shots with lightweight equipment and if it starts getting dark, just pump up the ASA button. Problems with difficult lighting situations? Instant feedback will let you solve the toughest problems. The D60 is a pleasure and was a high-tech design tour-de-force. It's not perfect, but there's only one thing that's a bit "more perfect" and than the D60 and that's a 1Ds (Nikonophiles please forgive me, but this is a Canon forum)which I'm afraid will have to wait because of its price.

Walter, you are missing a great experience. The big worry on the Canon forum was "lost" previews, which turned out to be black previews, and is now fixed in firmware 1.0.4. I am producing better quality material with my D60 than I have ever done with scanned images, and regularly print 13x19 tack sharp images. Slow auto focus is a fact of life, but image quality is not at issue.

Dan

Walter, I'm amazed you've made this pronouncement without

actually using a D60. I've had mine since late June, shot more

than 35,000 photos with it, and the only problem I had was the

camera sometimes creating duplicate file names when

recording more than 100 files ina folder. The duplicate names

were in seperate folders, and it is easy enough to rename the

few dupes when necessary. And, the firmware upgrade fixed that

problem.

The image quality is stunning. Not medium format quality for

sure, but better than anything you're going to see out of 35mm

film unless you pay for drum scans, and equal to those in many

ways, better in others (lack of noise is one).

I still have a D30 as my backup camera. That camera does have

some image problems, notably washed out red tones. But it

withstood 35,000 frames of abuse - working in heat and dust -

before the shutter gave out. Cost $350 to fix. Not even my late,

lamented Canon F1 gave me that kind of service before needing

a complete overhaul.

I can hardly wait for the rumored D80.