Cameras in song...

<p>Happy New Year, all!</p>

<p>We all know how Nikon figures in Simon and Garfunkel's "Kodachrome", but few appreciate how much camera brand placement there has been in music over the years. There have been shorter versions of this, but few so, well, Canonical...</p>

<ul>

<li>Nikon - I've got a Nikon camera. I love to take a photograph. (Simon and Garfunkle)</li>

<li>FM - FM. No static at all! (Steely Dan)</li>

<li>FA - Do, a dear, a female dear. Re, a drop of golden sun. Me, a name I call myself. Fa, a long, long way to run. (Julie Andrews)</li>

<li>Leica - Leica Virgin (Madonna)</li>

<li>Leica - Just Leica Prayer (Madonna, obviously a paid spokesperson)</li>

<li>Pentax - How come you always load your Pentax, when I'm in the nude (Michale Franks, although Diane Krall does it better)</li>

<li>Sony - Sony came home with a vengeance (Shawn Colvin)</li>

<li>Sony - Sony, yesterday my life was full of rain (Dusty Springfield)</li>

</ul>

<p>Canon got left out, and Oly doesn't really have a song, but they did name a style of music after the lenses. Weird stuff, with accordions....</p>

<p>There is the traditional English folk song, "Jackaroe", written long before cameras could capture images, in which a young man tell his woman that she cannot accompany him to war:<br>

"Your waist is too slender,<br /> Your fingers are too small<br /> Your cheeks too red and rosy<br /> To face the <strong>Canon-</strong>ball"<br /> Oh, to face the <strong>Canon</strong>-ball.</p>

<ul>

<li>Pachelbel's Canon.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Joni Mitchells "Song to a Seagull"</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Dead Kennedys - Winnebago Warrior :</li>

</ul>

<p>"Littered campgrounds, folding chairs<br /> Feed Doritos to the bears<br /> Honey, quick! The polaroid"</p>

<ul>

<li>There is a group named "<strong>Zeiss</strong>"</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li><a title="Desafinados - lyrics and translation" href="http://maxcouti.blogspot.com/2009/08/translation-desafinados.html" target="_blank">Desafinados</a>:</li>

</ul>

<p><em> Fotografei <em>você </em>na minha Rolleiflex</em><br /> <em> <em>Revelou</em>-<em>se a sua</em> enorme ingratidão<br /> Só não poderá falar assim do meu amor<br /> Este é o maior que você pode encontrar<br /> </em><br>

Translation:<br>

I photographed you with my Rolleiflex<br /> It exposed your enormous ingratitude<br /> Only you will not be able to speak of my love like this<br /> As this is better than you could find</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It's slightly off topic... but...<br>

I came across an intriguing video commercial for Aveeno Tinted Moisturizer. It features a beautiful young model who is enjoying herself taking pictures of her young son with a film Hasselblad. I also saw this same commercial run on CNN this morning.<br>

See: Aveeno <a href="http://youtu.be/gVsWBJERVAw">"Create a New Future"</a><br>

Since everyone knows that "real men" take pictures with film Hasselblads, the camera (in this fantasy) must belong to her very macho husband, who the viewer can fantasize as being himself (smile).</p>

<p> </p>