Lens-Dilemma Portrait/Documentary

david_christoffersson

<p>Hi!<br>

I'm going to shoot alot of documentary photography in third-world countries and I dont have alot of experience in this area. So what I have is a Canon 5dMK2, 35/1.4 and 50/1.4, what I need is something longer towards a portrait focal-length.<br>

For starters I've tried the Canon 85/1.2 and completly hated it, so that is not even close to an option.<br>

The lenses I have in mind right now is:<br>

Canon 85/1.8<br>

Canon 135/2<br>

or maybe<br>

Canon 100/2</p>

<p>I'm sure there are hundreds of topics regarding this, but I can't get any good argument.<br>

What do you think considering what I need to do?</p>

<p>What did you hate about the 85mm f/1.2? Just trying to understand - otherwise one would have a hard time figuring out why you're considering the f/1.8 version instead. One of the 85mm would have been my suggestion as well as the 135 f/2. The decision is yours though.</p>

<p>AF-wise, the newer version II of the 85mm f/1.2 USM L is supposed to be twice as fast as the older one - not sure which one you tried. But it sounds though like the 85 f/1.8 would be your next best choice... it's less than half the weight of the f/1.2 version. AF speed is quoted to be even faster than the f/1.2 II (photozone). I don't have direct experience comparing the two, or the other lenses. I'm sure others can comment more.</p>

<p>All three of those primes are fine lenses. I use the 85mm f/1.8 and the 135mm f/2, but have no experience with the 100mm lens. The 85mm lens is a great performer and is also smaller, lighter, and a lot less expensive. I regard the 135 as one of Canon's finest prime lenses, but it is larger, significantly more expensive, and heavier. </p>

<p>If you are bound and determined to shoot primes, a dynamite set that is small, light, and a lot less expensive but which can provide first class results is the 35mm f/2, the 50mm f/1.4, and the 85mm f/1.8. Of course, by the time you start carrying multiple primes, especially for handheld shooting, using a single prime starts to look like a much more interesting and flexible option.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Hard to go wrong with the 85 F1.8 - it is (50 F1.4 excepted) probably the best bargain in the Canon range - fast AF and very high IQ (although it lacks the drama of the F1.2 lens). It is cheap although you should buy the hood. If you want a zoom and do not need the speed (or size and weight) the 70-200 F4 L IS is a very good performer and approaches prime quality.</p>

I have the 100 f/2.0 and its a great

lens. If I know I'm going to be doing an

outdoor portrait, that is my goto lens.

But for travel and documentary style

stuff like you describe I'd just stick with

the 50 f/1.4.

I hate changing lenses in the field.

If the 50 f/1.4 is too limiting and you are

willing to give up the shallow DOF, the

24-105 f/4 L is probably a good choice,

assuming it's in your price range. It's

not in mine :-).

>>> So what I have is a Canon 5dMK2, 35/1.4 and 50/1.4, what I need is something longer towards a

portrait focal-length.

I think you already have it. When shooting with my 5DII, I use a 35/1.4 exclusively. With the 35, the 50

will give you additional flexibility.

www.citysnaps.net