February gloom and an ancient Rolleiflex

gene m

<p>Gene, your Old Standard looks even rougher then mine!<br>

Don't really see much difference in image quality compared to the f/3.5 Tessar on mine. Your compositions are a lot better though hahaha.<br>

Are you sure the Compur shutter doesn't go to 1/500th? Mine does (though it requires a little bit more effort to tension the extra spring). Only figured this out after I read the manual (D'OH!)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Now that you're back Gene, all is well with the world. I have #301623. Same set up. Similar condition, although I'm missing that bottom plug. There's another red window down there, for what? I don't know. The Compur shutter still works flawlessly. Must have been built mid-week. A superb machine, warts and all. Same lens cap too, and it only stays on upside down.</p>

<p>Great presentation, thanks.<br>

I guess the red window on the bottom was used for the 6x9 B2 film which presumably didn't have the numbers for 6x6. So the number 1 would be for the first 6x9 frame, which would appear in the bottom window to put the film in the correct starting position for 12 6x6 images. My New Standard has a similar system.<br>

I've noticed that some old wooden 120 spools had a cross cut slot at one end, and a round hole at the other. Perhaps this is why they specify the cross slot to the right?</p>

<p>I'd ditch that old leather strap a.s.a.p. before it breaks and the old Rolleiflex takes a fatal dive. I had a pair of old WW2 binoculars fall on concrete from a rotted leather strap that looked better than that.<br>

Those are beautiful photos from the camera. Tessar lenses never fail to impress.</p>

<p>Love the Patina on that Rollei, like an old dog it looks well travelled and loved! Rolleis are great to collect but they remain the ultimate user camera I feel. Therefore I like a Rollei that looks like it has been around, and how hard is it to kill a Rollei!<br>

I love your shots of the "gloom" as it shows that lovely quality you get from those old Tessars when used at wide apertures, too many just close them right down!</p>