New 24 and 28 primes with IS.

scott_ferris

<p>Very dissappointing from Canon. Nikon is bringing out good affordable primes with USM, and Canon is pricing these as if they are something exotic. Canon have shown they can do IS cheaply in the 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS, they can do primes cheaply in the 50 f1.8 and the legacy 24 and 28 f2.8 and they used to be able to do USM cheaply in the old 28-105 f3.4-f4.5. Even the 85 f1.8 has USM and is fast and sort of cheap.<br>

Yet somehow combining IS and USM raises the price threefold. And they lack red ring bragging rights. Maybe Canon want to be Lieca.</p>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I can answer one question as someone who shoots a lot of video with my canon 5D Mark II. Speed is way more important than IS.<br>

Video Lights are not nearly as bright as strobes so it is much easier to double you aperture opening than to double your video light output. Also at F2.8 I will have to run my lights brighter than F1.8 or 1.4 which if I am using battery power I have just dramatically shorten how long I can shoot.<br>

Plus I almost always shoot video on a tripod so IS is only important when doing run and gun style shooting. In which case rather than paying so much for Canon 24 2.8 IS I would rather just go buy a real video camera for around $1800 which can do F1.8 has built in IS and are much better at low light focusing than DSLR Camera.<br>

I would rather have two video camera than 1 DSLR with super expensive lenses.</p>