Looking for a new beginner camera

cassidy_middleton

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm a senior in highschool and once I graduate I'm wanting to go to school for photography. I don't own a camera, although I have in the past but unfortunately broke it, and I'm wanting to buy a new one. I need any suggestions for a new camera. Peferably affordable (300$-600$) because I'll be a college student. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.</p>

I would suggest a Nikon D3100 kit or a Canon T2i kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/730210-REG/Nikon_25472_D3100_Digital_SLR_Camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675618-REG/Canon_4462B003_EOS_Rebel_T2i_Digital.html

You can't go wrong with these brands, which will allow you buy a complete range of lenses and accessories as you grow

into photography.

<p>If you're really planning to major in photography, you will be better off waiting until you see what camera is recommended by your professors. Depending on your program, they may want you to learn on film first. Others may not. But either way, it's probably better to not guess and wait. By now, you presumably have applied to a school and have been accepted, so it shouldn't be difficult to figure out which professors teach the early classes and reach out to them. Then you can get an early jump and see what they are instructing students to buy.</p>

<p>Many schools recommend a Pentax K1000, it's a very inexpensive film system that's great for learning the basics. But don't buy now if you don't know what you'll need for school. One big photography lesson is determine what you need, then buy. Expensive mistakes happen when you buy before you determine what you need...photographic equipment, in general, is expensive and buying unnecessary equipment wastes money very quickly.</p>

Ummm ... okay. Jay, could you name, say, five of the "many schools"- colleges, since that's what she's aksing about- that

recommend that students buy the K1000. It's just that I've been in the photo business for more than thirty years, I sell to

students from half a dozen colleges and haven't had a student come to the store in more than a decade whose been told

to buy a K1000, or, in the last half decade, any film camera.

<p>We need to know whether Cassidy's course requires film or digital. While I'm a lifetime fan of b&w film, it might be irrelevant to some school courses. It certainly isn't necessary to learning the basics.</p>

<p>And I'd be reluctant to agree with an unqualified endorsement of the Pentax K1000. At least some of the later versions <a href="http://photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/AsahiPentaxK1000.html">built in China</a> had a spotty reputation. A student might be just as well off buying any of a dozen other 35mm film SLRs with solid reputations. There are plenty of very good used Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Minolta 35mm film SLRs for which affordable OEM and third party lenses are readily available. In local pawn shops, thrift stores and used camera stocks, I see more affordable lenses for Canon FD and Minolta mounts, with the Pentax K mount a close third.</p>

<p>Fair enough, I'm basing what I said on things I've read here many times. I didn't recommend the K1000 unqualified, though; I suggested not buying anything until contacting the professors to see what they expect students to have. I only mentioned it because it seems to come up in discussion here often as a student's camera.</p>

Jay, you have to differentiate between high school and college students. The dozen or so high schools whose kids buy at

my store still teach Photo 1 classes using 35mm film cameras. It is a bitch for parents who can't find used cameras on

short notice and wind up buying Cosina-variant basic 35mm cameras for $200-plus. Their kids use them for one high

school class, then never touch them again.

The colleges whose students I deal with have either moved away from teaching Photo 100 classes with film cameras or

supply film cameras for the first one or two assignments, then move on to teaching digital basics. I can't remember the

last time a college kid bought a film camera at my store, except for personal use.

Cassidy, from your original post, I assumed that you wanted a camera you could use now; one that would hopefully get

you through much of a college photography curriculum. If that's the case, I would still recommend the Nikon or Canon kit

above in your price range.

If you take a college class that requires a film camera, I'd go to KEH camera online and buy a used 35mm camera-lens

combo in the $125 price range. KEH warranties it's cameras, and such a camera will get you through a class without

spending too much money.

Understand though that taking college photography courses is an expensive proposition. When I was in college back in

the 1980s, each fine art photography class I took had me spending over $2K on supplies. Talk to instructors in the

college photography programs you are looking at and get a basic understanding of the course costs involved.

<p>remember that the coice of camera type and brand is up to the professor.<br>

the Prof could be stuck in a time warp, as many were a decade ago<br>

and Insist on a basic film camera. Or again thay may not.<br>

I would not seriously reccomend the pentax K1000. 1) some of the later models were made to lower quality standards in China. 2) they are at least 10-20 years ols and may require a Cla, this will cost as much as a second camera.<br>

3) the loth shutter may have aged and limits flash exposure to 1/60.<br>

4) the meter is a needle mounted on a fragile pivit and can be damaged.<br>

alThe pentax K mound is common and lenses will be easer to find,<br>

The fact that K mount film cameras are still in production Gives them an advantage over cameras that use other mounts. <br>

but there are other brands that use this mount. and a replacement<br>

camera can cost much less than a repair or cla.<br>

the canons,the A and T series, though excellent cameras are 20+ years old. and general automatic /electronic which may didqualify them as beginner/student cameras.<br>

Same for thecanon eos that all have auto features, but some offer an easy pathway to a digital body<br>

The Nickons offer both bacis and full auto cameras and there si a wide choice of bodies.</p>

<p>thos konica minolta and olympous film slr's are great cameras and will suit most of your needs., lenses and accesoried will be harder to find. Especially so for the Konica.</p>

<p>If a camera is TOO automatic, despite being able to be used manually, it could be disqualified,</p>

<p>OH yes. despite the pentax K1000 being well suited for beginner film camera courses.<br>

this fact works against it.<br>

the popularity and famililarity of this model\<br>

can raise the price if the cameras as it is some times a Cult Calssic.<br>

The Ricoh sears cosina vivitar cameras are fuctional equvalents that are fairly unknown or less popular.<br>

and yet will do anything a k-1000 will do. and can be relapaced at low cost.<br>

If the m will do. Some schools have loaner lenses, often in K mount.</p>