what system?

david_distefano1

<p>i have an arca-swiss 6x9 system plus the 4x5 adapter so i can shot 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 and 4x5. at the same time i have a complete hasselblad system which i love to shoot. and to top it off i bring along my nikon f5 and lenses. the view camera lenses cover a wider range than the hasselblad, and weigh a heck of a lot less. the hasselblad sets up a lot quicker. i can't get rid of the 6x9 because i need the system for the 4x5. i also have the cfv-16 but i can attach it to the 6x9 system. i know to keep both systems is redundant. what are some peoples ideas out there.</p>

<p>I don't want to repose your question, or dilemma, but if it's a question of, " I want to choose between the systems that I've got", for the purpose of consolidating. I hope I'm seeing this right, anyway, You said you have a complete Hasselblad system? I would keep it, go with it, and make it happen. There is a personal caveat to my point, that is, I let my Hasselblads go years ago, and I've been kicking myself ever since. I'm happy with what I've got, but the specialness of Hasselblad can't be underestimated. Image quality second to none. Versatile, light, comprehensive, fast to setup. Don't know what your inventory is with the Hasselblad, sounds like you have more than, one body, and three lenses. One body, and three lenses in the field can get it done. Hasselblads are beautifully made too. Precision equipment.</p>

<p>I cannot find a view camera and a Hasselblad to be redundant. Maybe (only) in the format... but not if you are using that gear to make photos.</p>

<p>The aim is not to own gear to cover all the formats, or to have all the lenses in a range, but to use the equipment that suit your needs. In the real life, a view camera is <em>quite different</em> to a compact SLR like the Hasselblad.</p>

<p>I suggest you to use your gear, and then (if you have to get rid of something), to keep the one that serve you better... :)</p>

<p>A view camera and a Hasselblad are not redundant with one another. Neither is the 35mm redundant with either of the other two. <br>

The view camera is for maximum image quality, but the penalty is obviously set-up time. The Hasselblad is a no-compromise shooter for portraiture, product photography, etc. The 35mm can't be beat for action shots and fast-shutter shots, as well as being very portable.<br>

If you had two different 645 systems, or two 6x6 systems, those would be redundant. As it is, I'd say to ditch the 35mm film and shoot those shots digitally. Sensors are now better than 35mm film and much more convenient- but it's expensive (30k$++) to find a replacement in digital for your Hassy. <br>

If I were you, I'd keep all of the 120 and 4x5 gear and ditch the Nikon if you absolutely have to pare down. But a 35mm SLR is very useful to me, so I would personally not pare down if it isn't necessary.</p>

<p>It sounds to me like you have a perfect 3-system system! Apart from the fact that the Arca is capable of shooting two of the same formats (6x6, CFV16) as the Hasselblad, there's no overlap really. In fact it's a great advantage that your two MF cameras can use the same digital back.</p>

<p>My only suggestion might be to (as Nathan says) ditch the Nikon film system. I can't think of a better 35mm film camera than the fantastic F5, but I also can't think of a reason to shoot 35mm film anymore; yes large and medium format film/digital, yes 35mm/APS-C digital, but not 35mm film itself. Do you take "serious" photos with the F5 anymore? If not, but you still need a small, rapid, automated, sensitive camera to fill that niche, consider something like a Sony NEX-5N, or for more money the new Fuji X-Pro1; basically a take-anywhere camera with interchangeable lenses and a high performance sensor.</p>

<p>i think i have come up with a solution. with the arca-swiss and hasselblad systems i will shoot velvia. there is something magical looking through a hasselblad square viewfinder and looking at your results that came through zeiss lenses. the cfv-16 has a pixel size of 8.95 microns which is fantastic but its low light capabilities is poor and a few generations old. the nikon d3s has a pixel size of 8.45 and great low light abilities (the best until the d4 came out). so sell the cfv-16 and purchase the nikon d3s, since their prices are starting to drop on ebay, and i already have my lenses from my f5.</p>