Canon 580EX II PC port

alberto_ayala

<p>Is anybody uses the PC port of the Canon 580EX II to connect the flash to a manual radio receiver? Is the connection with the PC cord reliable? I have a radio receiver with a sub mini 2.5mm port and I would like to connect the flash to the receiver via the PC port of the flash instead of using a hot shoe module with 3.5mm port.<br>

Alberto Ayala</p>

<p>If you're going to use the P-C socket of a radio trigger, you'll find you need a male-to-male P-C lead, which aren't easy to come by. Why all the stupid flash makers have fitted a female camera-type socket to their flashguns I really can't understand. A male socket would have been far more sensible.</p>

<p>"Why all the stupid flash makers have fitted a female camera-type socket to their flashguns I really can't understand." I've been thinking the same thing. How did this ever get started? The female PC connection on the camera has been standard for decades, with various other connections on the other end. Not that PC cords have ever been perfect, but who decided to fix what wasn't broke?</p>

<p>Joe, I think Alberto is looking to connect the pc socket on the flash to the 2.5mm phono socket on the radio trigger.</p>

<p>I don't know if it makes sense to have a male connector on the flash. Back in the days you would have 250V on that connector.</p>

<p>Similar to 1/4" audio connectors where you have female sockets everywhere regardless if it's an output or input and the phono cables are male at both ends unless it's some kind of special extension cable.</p>

<p><em>"Mine is so loose that I have to wrap a rubber band around flash and PC connector, but it fires every time."</em><br>

<em></em><br>

<em></em> <br>

What you need is one of those Sync Cord Conditioning tools. Mine stays in my bag 24/7/365.<em></em><br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/63256-REG/Westcott_8007_Repair_Tool_for_PC.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/63256-REG/Westcott_8007_Repair_Tool_for_PC.html</a></p>