Fun serial numbers

Gus Lazzari

<p>I used to have a friend at Nikon that would look through inventory and sell me unique serial numbers. I did that because I was shooting for a wire service at the time and swapping lenses with colleagues. It made it easy to remember what equipment was mine (but we also put colored tape on our equipment too). Wish I could find a SN that was as good as yours, but nothing is that good.<g></p>

<p>A commenter on Flickr pointed out that the last 4 digits of my M6 is the year of the French Revolution. Never paid attention to serial numbers before. Now this camera is the only item in my possesion where I can recall the serial number.<br>

<a title="Leica Elmar-M 50mm 2.8 collapsed by mandoflex, on Flickr" href=" Leica Elmar-M 50mm 2.8 collapsed src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7144/6481732203_e4c5076790_z.jpg" alt="Leica Elmar-M 50mm 2.8 collapsed" width="531" height="640" /></a></p>

Niels

<p>A very pleasingly symmetrical serial number, Gus. Another mirror imaged serial number was that on the Nikkor 80mm f2.8 of my former Plaubel Makina 670 rangefinder camera, with the number 522 225. These more modern Plaubels were made by the DOI company of Japan, noted mainly for its photofinshing business, but with contacts in Germany who helped design this fine, if noisy operating, 6 x 7 rangefinder. Wish I had kept it, and not just for the interesting serial number (It was a bargain at $850 in the mid eighties, but saw a considerable re-evaluation upward, once it was discontinued).</p>

• 2 weeks later...