Should I change the name of my business?

<p>I went into business as a partnership with a friend of mine a little over a year ago. She decided to drop out of the business last April, so I went solo. The business name is Photography By S&S (each S represents both of our first names). The business has grown tremendously and people are familiar with the name, but it drives me crazy every time I have to say "S&S" ! I've been trying to come up with different words for the S&S to stand for but I can't come up with anything. I've considered changing the name, but I'm afraid that will hurt the business. I do a lot of business from my Facebook page, and for some reason if you have 100 or more LIKES you aren't able to change the name of the page, you have to delete it and start from scratch. Any advice on this would be great. (What else can S&S stand for?.....)</p>

<p>It's the "by" that's the awkward part, here. That makes almost every other adjective involving "S" very clumsy to fit in.<br /><br />Consider starting up a new web site and Facebook presence along side of the existing one, link over to it until your audience understands the transition, and then kill off the old one. The sooner you do it, the less painful it will be.</p>

<p>Another tactic, especially if people ask you about the two S's, is to simply make up something else for the two initials --</p>

<p>"Photography by S(hutter) and S(ensor)" maybe. Probably you can find something local that makes sense.<br>

Since it's only initials, it doesn't have to make sense and you only need the explanation if somebody asks. ;)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Make sure to, at least, follow the terms of your partnership agreement(s) re: dissolution, partner buyout/sell arrangements ect. If the answer is not directly addressed within, it may be inferred. Does the agreement contemplate the business continuing if one person leaves?</p>

<p>Businesses change hands, etc. without changing their names because of the expense and the risk of damaging their presence in the community. Who wants to say that "We're Photography by S, formerly Photography by S & S?" I can't tell from my reading between the lines if you are a stickler for accuracy or the breakup had some difficulty. No matter. The simplest thing to explain if anyone ever asks is that the business was named after you and a friend and leave it at that. You really don't have to tell anyone who the other S was especially if it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. In fact, there is no need for either S to literally stand for anything at all.</p>

<p>Why change it? It's a business name. Besides it could be worse and be Photography By S&M. If someone asks just tell them you are schizophrenic and the business is a partnership. After all, you're an artist and are allowed to be mad.</p><p>Seriously, if the business is one of long standing and is generating an income, well, why fool with the name. It could take you some time to recover the business's recognition in the market place.</p>

<p>Thanks so much everyone, you really helped a lot. I won't change the name. The breakup of my partner and I wasn't a bad one, we're still friends. What bothered me was that I know what the 2nd S stands for and it almost feels like I'm giving someone else credit for my work. I'll get over it, thanks guys. I guess it would be like starting from scratch if I changed the name. Thanks again</p>

<p>The corner shop at the end of my street was bought by the West family in the mid 1970s and was re-named West Stores. After about six changes of ownership, it still has the same name and I'm sure none of the other owners had the same name - especially the Sri Lankan family who own it now.</p>

<p> </p>