Tackling M6 "finder flare" cheaply

mukul_dube

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Early in 2011 I bought a used M7 (2003 vintage by serial number). I sent it to Leica USA in NJ to get the MP finder upgrade as well as the optical DX reader.</p>

<p>A few days ago, I photographed my son opening his Christmas presents. Our living room is large, and surrounded on 3 sides with windows. I noticed that the RF patch whited out, but I still had enough of a double image to focus with. Small shifts in position didn't eliminate the white out. I had to walk around to another position to get rid of it. Anyone who photographs a 3 year old child knows that they move around a lot anyway.</p>

<p>Conclusion: MP finder upgrade does not mean immunity to RF flare.</p>

<p>BTW - the DX reader set my film speed to 3200 on Kodak E100G slide film. I had to roll the film back, reseat the film cartridge, and reload. Then, the film speed read "100".</p>

<p>Conclusion #2: Just because it says Leica doesn't mean that it's perfect. If you want real reliability in a camera, get a Nikon F, F2, F3.</p>

<p>The last comment was not meant to be a snide one. I've owned a Nikon F3 for over 25 years. It has been utterly reliable. It has taken many, many family photos without a problem. I've had it out in freezing weather (using NiCd battery pack in the MD-4) with blinding sun reflected off the snow without issues.</p>

<p>Somehow, I thought that the fabled Leica would be even "better". It is not. The fit and finish of the Nikon F series is first-rate. Leica is an order of magnitude more expensive, though. Sure, the lenses may technically be superior (less distortion, especially wide angles), but then you run into the limit of the small sensor size of 24 x 36mm. I like the quality out of my Rolleiflex with Planar lens better. The bigger format is just better.</p>

<p>(I admit, I skipped pages 4 to 8.)<br>

Mukul, what's the matter? All of your questions were answered by page 2 or 3. Why on earth do you waste your time repeating yourself instead of getting a side job or doing some Ebay action that will pay you the finder update or *at least* the SHADE?<br>

(Beware, rethorical questions - all of them!)</p>

<p>You should not skip pages, because (as now) that can cause you to waste people's time. If you have any further questions, rhetorical or otherwise, do try to keep them to yourself: because, if I answer them, someone else will come along and ask why I go on and on. I do not like to repeat myself, but if I am attacked I do not sit silent.</p>

<p>Mister Dube, I would never ever have dared to skip all those literary pearls lazily! To express it more precisely, I *skimmed* pages 4 to 8 – as I found insufficient factual content in almost all 'responses'.<br>

Fortunately too, everybody has gotten the hint that my rethorical questions need no written answers. Phew, ain't that beautifully well-behaved for a change? Hope, anyone?</p>

<p>So... everybody who's read down this far, PLEASE pick up *any kind of camera you like* (especially one you like a lot..) and immediately start taking pictures as both festive and photographic final response to the photo.net-wide silliest thread of 2011 - at least in *my* eyes. :-) </p>

<p>Click, kgg, dzzzc!<br>

Cla-bonk, shtt, whurrr!<br>

Phwipp, zic, clogg!<br>

Dssssssst, dagg, zkfffffffffdzt!</p>

<p>Trip those shutters like mad and dontcha stop 'till well into 2012!<br>

Have fun, fun, fun, you all! Cheers, Pete</p>

<p>FWIW,<br>

I use a Leica viewfinder magnifier and a very nice Japan Exposures version MS-Mag 1.35x with adjustable diopter on my M's (M2, M4-2, M4-P, M6) to significantly aid with focusing and also alleviate any eye-centering issues. As for finder flare, I just hope I have the M2 on hand, otherwise, I miss a few shots. I have also been using Leica M's for many years and find that using a hand-held digital meter with a large easy to see read-out (I used a selenium-celled Weston Euro-Master for many years, but now have a Polaris and a Minolta AutoMeter IVF) can be almost as fast as metering with the M6.</p>

<p>Chris, I have a little lens shaped by my optician and glued into a screw-in ring which Don Goldberg sent me. Vision correction at almost no cost. I have not lately seen, for sale, the combined magnifier-diopter that you describe; but I would welcome an increase in finder magnification to 0.97. Can you see the 35mm frame lines with the attachment in place?</p>

<p>At most times it is not a problem to meter with a separate instrument. I find this to be true although my meters do not have digital read-outs (which means putting on glasses) and although I much prefer incident readings to reflected. There are, however, some situations where an in-camera meter alone makes photos possible. My last roll -- also the first in the M6 -- has pictures of young children and infants, and their young mothers, moving about in a partly covered space which is not evenly illuminated. The circumstances demanded speedy working, and a separate meter just would not have been quick enough. Alas, the switch from M3 to M6 brought with it a difficult finder.</p>

<p>http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=109<br>

Unfortunately, with the MS-Mag 1.35x magnifier, one loses on seeing the whole 35mm frame, so the Leica 1.25x is better for wide-angle lenses. I value exact focus over exact framing and don't mind the loss. However, for fast lenses and those 50mm and longer (I use a Konica M-Hexanon 50mm f1.2 and a ver.1 50mm Summilux, when I don't want the heft, a 75mm Summilux, and a 90mm Summicron), the Japan Exposures magnifier is indispensable!</p>

<p>I tried out the "poor man's M7" and used the Konica Hexar RF (http://www.cameraquest.com/konicam.htm), which has some very nice bells and whistles, for almost a year, but the Konica viewfinder drove me right back to my M's (as "handicapped" as they are)!</p>

<p>I actually had difficulty adjusting to the meter in the M6, I'm so used to a hand-held meter (also incident reading)! But yes, nice to be able to meter in difficult lighting situations and to have a bit less equipment hanging around my neck. Normally in the situation you have described, I would try to pre-meter and take an average if the variation is not so extreme, but age and diminished visual acuity has slowed me down somewhat, so I do the best I can. With almost four decades of practice since I bought my first Leica M, I still get a few decent shots.</p>

<p>I too am a victim of age. Being poor as well, I tried that other M7 substitute, the Bessa R2A. Frame after frame was badly focussed. It may be that had I opted for a Zeiss Ikon, I would not have returned to the Leica fold: but I was tired and felt that the familiar would be safe.<br>

Thank you for the link.</p>

<p>There are those who minimize this problem, and those who take it very seriously, it seems.</p>

<p>For those who minimize it, consider for a moment that maybe you have not experienced the problem as some of us have, or maybe you do not wear glasses, or maybe your vision is a bit different. </p>

<p>My M6TTL was my first Leica, and I have to say it was a love hate relationship, the hate part due to the viewfiner white out, from the beginning. I never experienced such frustration with a viewfinder.</p>

<p>Getting the problem fixed by DAG completely changed the situation, I loved the camera. So you can see this post is no Leica bash. The viewfinder was perfect after the modification. Focusing in any light, bright to low light, was effortless.</p>

<p>So, my advice to those it bothers is to block out all thoughts of "I should not have to pay to correct a defect", "I can just live with it", and other similar trains of thought. The difference in the joy of using the camera was enormous to me. I have to believe that photography is one of the most important parts of the life of every poster on this forum. Well, life is short, get the camera fixed and ENJOY!!! </p>

<p>You are right, of course. Life is short and a friendly camera is better than an unfriendly one if it is to be used and not just admired and fondled. As I said at the start, though, I cannot afford the remedy. Nor could I accept the offer made by someone who does not wish to be named, to pay for the upgrade to my camera. On the good side, in taking several photos I did not face any kind of difficulty. The white-out will happen again, I know, but I am hoping that it will not happen often. I shall just think that I am once again 18 and riding a motorcycle with a chain which slips but which cannot be replaced because I have no money. At least the M6 will not leave me with greasy black hands.</p>

<p>I have thought about the problem, seeing it from the photographer's view and Leica A.G. production and QC. The problem that many if not all, have become used to SLR/DSLR viewfinders in getting what you see..OK the SLR is not perfect. It is close! The RGFDR imposes an artificial frame upon your selection. It is far from 100%. In the case of my M3 about 90%. The M6 maybe 65~70%,Someone who can do the maths can give more exact numbers. Is that bad? No. NO. The early Barnack cameras did not have parallax compensation. Only for 50mm lens. Yet Cartier=Bresson, many others made marvelous photos. It is a similar problem that I encountered with the service of mechanical watches which could NOT compete in accuracy to in-expensive quartz timers. People expected the same. The numbers told it all. The "quartz" vibrated at 32,760hz, a mechanical watch at 5hz per second. The fact we have to sort of guess is not that bad as to the exact view. Speeds are often slow or fast, the apertures closer to ideal, but never marked in "t-stops", actual transmission of light. Leitz and Leica lenses often the most accurate.<br>

The RGDR flare is annoying but we all soldier on, hoping film will last as long as these cameras which even with all the cost cutting will live longer than most owners!<br>

A cheap solution, a piece of black paper to shield the light window, one in middle! Sometimes need to bend over and cover the window.The frames may disappear. Centering the eye helps.<br>

The upgrade possible, but i like Mukul not able, nor willing to not have my Leica! The forum certainly shows great interest and strong opinions. Yet most were polite. That is really nice.<br>

Would I buy my M6 again? In a flash! As is! Yup! It's not a M3. It's not a problematic North European brick. It is the only camera built by people who care.. yes make money but also supply a special need. I am thankful. Expensive? After owning a M3 bought in '67, price becomes a joke.<br>

I've buried a lot of other makes. Leica are for life. Happy New Year to all. May the light be special and our exposures true.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>In the end, I admitted defeat. The M6 is on its way for a finder "upgrade". The last straw was when I aimed the camera at the moon to check R/F alignment. I could not get a distinct image: there was so much internal reflection and flare that all I saw was a halo and many ghosts.</p>

<p>I do not like to pay to fix a defect that should not have been there. I have also had to divert funds from other uses: the "fix" itself is $220 plus shipping both ways, but I had already spent what I had on the camera. However, I can now hope to have a camera that works as it should. I am too old to struggle any longer to make do with imperfect tools.</p>

<p>The small rectangle of black tape I tried, helped. Konermann's SHADE ought to do better, as it blocks light coming from a particular angle. The fact remains that anything over the middle window will make the frame-lines less bright. The problem is caused by the removal of a condenser and the replacement of a flat mirror with a parabolic one. Anything other than the "upgrade" can only mitigate the symptoms but cannot be a cure.</p>

<p>Good for you, Mukul. Probably the cost will soon be forgotten, but the greater joy in using the camera will last a long, long time. For me it was a night and day difference. In the end, "shoulds, woulds, coulds" don't help at all, reality is reality. And your reality will be a greatly improved camera. My posts about the issue were not about denigrating Leica, I have no interest in doing that. I simply hoped you could find greater enjoyment in using a great image making machine. Life is too short for living with frustration when that frustration is related to one's joy in life.</p>

<p>I'm glad for you that you did the upgrade. Enjoy creating your images. </p>

<p>Desmond, what you said earlier was clear and reasonable. No question of misunderstanding. The M6 should reach Don Goldberg any day now, and if I bully and plead enough I shall soon get it back as a good instrument for my remaining years.</p>

<p>I might add that neither I nor anyone else here has wished to denigrate Leica. It is just that reality, as you say, is reality.</p>

<p>For sure, Mukul, I never thought you were denigrating Leica! Maybe some thought I was....but the M6 is a great camera, as I guess all the M series cameras are.</p>

<p>I'm just glad you will now be free of the glare and enjoying, and I hope you can beg a fast turnaround. </p>

<p>Have fun. Create. Share! </p>

<p>I decided to check out your gallery. I hope you share more and show us how the new viewfinder is working out. That "Making Rotis" image is gorgeous. Beautiful rich background, but not distracting. Great subject, captured as if she is alone in her own little world (which would not be the case if she were looking into the camera). Beautiful. </p>