Tell me about "Komine"...

<p>Thank you, Rick. <br>

I did a pretty careful scan of net resources while working on the book and didn't find any denials--just unanswered questions. I agree that the jury is still out and it would be nice if we had a Japanese speaking member to search the Japanese corporate records.<br>

One source that I found helpful (on several other makers and trademarks) is the US Patent and Trademark Office (uspto.gov). Their search routine turns up numerous references to konine but none regarding lenses.<br>

Good luck and please let me know what I can do to help.<br>

Cordially,<br>

Eric</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>The following japanese wiki page lists Nittoh Kogaku (Komina) : 日東光学(コミナー) as out of production<br>

<a href="http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BA%E3%83%A1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AB%E3%83%BC">http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BA%E3%83%A1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AB%E3%83%BC</a></p>

<p>This link shows some Kominar lenses in the beginning of video. It is about 日東光学 (Nittoh) that is for sure, but I don't know Japanese.<br>

<a href="http://saiplus.jp/special/2009/04/28.php">http://saiplus.jp/special/2009/04/28.php</a></p>

<p>Hope the information helps.</p>

• 8 months later...

<p>A bit late, but following on from my earlier post about Kino and Komine incarnations of the same Vivitar lens, I've now collected examples of the Kino and Komine versions of both the 200mm f/3.5 and the 135mm f/2.8. The Komine versions are dated approx one year later than the Kino versions, but there is no similarity in their construction, so whilst it would appear Vivitar may have laid down the specification for the lens it would seem it was left to the individual sub contractors to come up with their own solution.<br>

There is a similarity between the Komine made Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 and the Panagor 200mm f/3.5 enough for me to venture the opinion that it too was made for Jaca Corp by Komine, but an Elicar (also a Jaca Corp brand name) branded version looks unlike either the Vivitar or the Panagor lens, leading me to believe a different contractor was used to manufacture that lens.<br>

To my eye both the Vivitar and the Panagor 90mm f/2.8 macro lenses appear to be similar in construction, making me even more convinced that they were both made by Komine.<br>

Despite extensive searches I've found nothing that links Komine to Kominar and remain convinced they are different companies.</p>

• Like 1

<blockquote>

<p>"...whilst it would appear Vivitar may have laid down the specification for the lens it would seem it was left to the individual sub contractors to come up with their own solution."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's pretty much what a Vivitar official told Herbert Keppler for a magazine article several years ago. I tossed out most of my old magazines several years ago, but I think that article appeared in an early to mid-1990s issue of Pop Photo (not Modern, for which Keppler had written earlier).</p>

<p>If I'm recalling the gist of the article correctly, for its Series 1 lenses, Vivitar designed an ideal version of a lens without regard to price. Then they'd work with the actual manufacturer (there were many) to arrive at a practical compromise to meet a price range for the intended market.</p>

• 8 years later...
To my eye both the Vivitar and the Panagor 90mm f/2.8 macro lenses appear to be similar in construction, making me even more convinced that they were both made by Komine.

Yeah yeah yeah, reviving a dead thread, whatever. This mystery is unsolved. I'm a happy owner of the MD-mount Vivitar 90mm f/2.8, and I'd say john_tribe is correct.

As for the lens, it is razor sharp until infinity, where it softens a bit. That seems to be the case regardless of aperture. The lens is definitely at its best below f/8, combining extraordinary detail with a lovely bokeh that is consistent all the way out to the edges of the frame. I have only had it produce a lens flare once out of hundreds of shots taken with it, and even then the flare was weak. I suspect this might have to do with how the front element is recessed pretty far into the housing- kinda like having a built-in lens hood.

Comparing it to photos of the Panagor lens: both have 8 aperture blades, and the blades are the same shape. The concentric rings on the front are the same. The markings on the lenses are different, but the placement of the markings is identical. The focusing ring is the same, the proportions are the same, even the QC sticker is identical. If someone owns that Panagor lens, I'd love to compare photos to see if the lenses perform similarly- maybe there's some hidden difference in the optics.

• Like 1