Coating on 3.5cm Elmar

robbiebedell

<p>I just bought a 3.5cm Elmar for a very good price. (#271245). I beleive the number is 'pre-war' and it is not supposed to be coated, but it looks as if it might well be coated. It has a faint blue reflection. How can I tell if it is indeed, coated?....Also...does anyone have any filter suggestions? I know it takes A 36 filters, but where can I find those tiny screw in filters? The must be about 18cm...Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>I have severe doubts whether "bloomed" and "coated" are synonyms.<br>

Actually a pre-war Novar on my Zeiss-Ikon 6x4.5 Ikonta shows a faint blueish reflection, too. And this lens was not coated originally nor was it sent back for coating...<br>

Some types of optical glass develop some superficial corrosion over time. And sometimes this layer of corrosion has optical properties similar to that of coating. In some cases, intentional "forced" surface corrosion was used instead of coating.</p>

<p>Robbie, To answer your second question.. A36 filters are in fact push-on mounts of 36mm diameter.<br>

In Leitz parlance "A" = push-on and "E" = screw mount.<br>

You could try Hama or B+W for these filters or buy a A36 to E39 adapter in order to use the more readily available E39 filters. Leitz did in fact make such an adapter and maybe you could find this or the A36 filters on ebay or other similar souces. </p>