Help. Can't decide which M42 adapter for a Canon Eos to use

ana_calavera

<p>Hello :)<br /> Must say that I keep learning so much from photo.net<br /> As soon as I get more information, I get many more doubts.<br>

<br /> Anyways, a couple of minutes ago, I came by towards this site ( http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos_adapters.html ) and just knew that there is still hope for my old lenses to be used and mounted in my Canon EOS 60D. YES!</p>

<p>Just read that I need an M42 adapter to attatch one of my pentacon six's lenses to my canon EOS. But, which one to choose?<br /> I can't decide. I need to know which one is reliable. Please, let me know which one should be.<br /> I might buy it from ebay... but if one of you knows, just let me know.<br /> Thank you so much for your attention towards my thread.</p>

<p>-Ana</p>

<p>P.S. Sorry if this thread doesn't belong to here. I didn't know where to post it.</p>

<p>I've used an M42-to-EOS adapter I got on eBay; it's just a piece of metal with no moving parts, so there's not a lot that can break. Probably they're all reliable. Some have electronics that allow focus confirmation, these usually work fine, but sometimes fry the camera. Or so I've heard.</p>

<p>You know that you will not have auto-diaphram, auto-focus, nor wide-open metering using an adapter?<br>

You will be in manual focus, manual exposure with stop-down metering. None of which will be fun given the viewfinder on the 60D. I suggest making sure you are comfortable with manual focus and stop-down metering before purchasing an adapter (though they aren't expensive).</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>Thanks Craig.<br>

Charles; Now that you brought that, I am strongly curious to know the difference it takes to use that adapter.<br /><br />I tried to understand the definition of "stop-down metering" and decided to look after that term on the internet, but I am still clueless.<br /><br />I understood: "Setting the lens to its widest aperture..." and then... I am lost. Sorry for my ignorance.</p>

<p>My research has revealed that the best adapters are made by Novoflex and the next best by Fotodiox, with most of the rest coming in third. But given that there is a very steep price gradient between these adapters, you may be better off getting the cheapest one you can.</p>

<p>Bear in mind, however, that there can be problems with the cheapest adapters, including play between the adapter and lens or body, inability to achieve infinity focus, and poorly made locking pins and levers. Given that your lenses are M42 screwmounts, the third of these problems does not apply.</p>

<p>You will have to focus and set the aperture manually. Set the exposure mode to Av, open the lens to the widest aperture, focus, close down the aperture to the desired value (i.e. for the shutter speed or depth of field you want), trip the shutter. In most situations, that is what you will do.</p>

<p>M42? You mentioned Pentacon Six. That would be a Pentacon Six to EOS adapter, not an M42 adapter. I have both of them. If it is Pentacon Six then you can get a standard adapter or there are also tilt adapters for it to go on your Canon to make it a tilt lens. I get my adapters on ebay.</p>