A question on on-field workshops

<p>I do not consider myself a beginner, but neither am I a professional. I have been taking photographs for 40 years, have developed my own B/W many years ago, and therefore I guess I know what photography is all about. Nonetheless, Photo Net has taught me soooo much. I have learned many things by viewing all the magnificent works presented here. I just started with digital photography like two years ago and made some advancements, specially in post processing. Now, here's the question: How much do you consider that field-trip workshops can contribute to better picture-taking? Workshops like going to Yosemite or Yellostone.... Has anyone taken courses like these that can please comment? Thank you very much. Daniel.</p>

<p>Personally, I consider them to be guided trips to places that I'd have difficulty planning and executing on my own. If I can pick up some tips regarding better photography, that's icing on the cake, but not the main reason for attending a photo tour. I'll bet different individuals / companies use the term "workshop" to mean different things.</p>

<p>Daniel,<br>

It sounds like we share a common history in photography as well as the same first name. I have yet to do one of those "workshops" you mention but would love to--primarily, it is the cost that has been keeping me from doing it. However, I have found a few local "workshops" that were dirt cheap in comparison and they were hugely beneficial. Two examples: one, a Saturday morning, 3-hour, workshop given by one of our photo club members on how to properly prepare and mat photographs--cost $15 for materials...two, an all-day lecture-type workshop at a nearby town in which one particular 1 1/2 hour presentation by a B&W photographer I respect (Cole Thompson) was worth bars of gold--cost $60 for the whole day, which included lunch! So, for me anyway, I think I can leverage my small budget a bit better by carefully investigating and choosing these types of events (say, hands-on post-processing seminars or lecture/presentations on learning how to "see") rather than shelling out a few thousand for a trip to Yellowstone. When I get rich (!) I will definitely do what you are considering, but for now I just can't afford it. My dream is a trip to Antarctica and South Georgia Island to follow the path of Shackleton--some day!</p>

<p>I've been to Yosemite twice with <a href="http://www.davewyman.net/iqtours.html">Dave Wyman</a> and <a href="http://www.wghartshorn.com">William Hartshorn</a>. The second time we also had the (in?)famous <a href="http://www.kenrockwell.com">Ken Rockwell</a> with us. In essence, these trips are guided tours (Dave calls them "photography tours", not "workshops") led by experienced outdoor photographers who know the area well. They know not only where to go, but also when the light will be at its best (both in terms of time of year and time of day). I could easily have gone to Yosemite by myself, but I wouldn't have known, for example, about the stunning rainbows you can get in the spring at the base of the Yosemite Falls early in the morning when the sunlight first reaches it, or what a nice view of Half Dome you get from Cook's Meadow near sunset. Dave, Bill, and Ken are also very pleasant people (Ken is really quite different from his online reputation) who are happy to share their knowledge about (and enthusiasm for) photography. I think the trips were well worth the money; I had a great time and came away with some wonderful pictures and memories.</p>

<p>I've never gone on such a field trip, but I've photographed those locations. Simply photographing them is a learning opportunity by itself, particularly if you're shooting digital (IMO a great learning tool) and can benefit from the immediate feedback that it offers you. Yosemite is a great park. Go when it's less crowded (anytime school is in session), budget lots of time, and have fun. :-)</p>

<p>Ditto what Craig said. Though I've never been on one, I've rubbed shoulders with many of these groups at several locations. They range from just getting you to a location and setting you free, to the leader being a complete drill sergeant monitoring everyone's exposure settings etc. Choose your flavor.<br>

I myself, find them too pricy to seriously consider. Transportation and lodging are not usually included.</p>

<p>Thank you very much, each and every one of you Stephen, Daniel. Craig, Sarah and Jim. Thank you indeed for sharing your thoughts with me. All of your opinions are very helpful, and I feel privileged to be part of such an excellent community. Most of all, I have learned so much just from all you guys, your photos and critiques. I am grateful for your comments. These are the ones to truly consider and reflect upon. I will keep you posted on any workshops I attend and how they were.</p>