Tmax 400 rated at 1600 in Microphen Stock

chrisrichards

<p>I've been trying to find a base development time for Tmax 400 rated at 1600 and developed in Microphen stock solution. Can't seem to find it anywhere - I've tried Ilford data sheets and Massive Development chart, but no luck. Can anyone make a suggestion ?</p>

<p>Thanks for your help</p>

<p>Chris</p>

<p>If time permits, I would try some tests. The newest TMY film pushes very well so choice of developer isn't as critical as with older films. I know a favorite for Tri-X for around E.I. 1000 to 1600 has been Diafine. I've had some success allowing film to sit in water for a few minutes between the developer step and the fixer. Supposedly traces of remaining developer allow shadows to develop a bit more. YMMV, though. </p>

<p>Sorry for the delay in replying, Chris, been taking some time off.</p>

<p>For TMY pushed to 1600, in Microphen stock solution, try 9-12 minutes. That's been about right for me, taking into account the usual variables: scene contrast; developer temperature.</p>

<p>As a general guideline, I'd give a little more development for softly lit scenes, such as overcast days; and a little less for contrasty lighting such as sunny days or hard stage lighting.</p>

<p>But it isn't nearly as critical as with some film/developer combinations. That's why I liked TMY and Microphen for pushing. I could be off a bit and still get good results for conventional enlargements or scanning.</p>