Is this the fastest Nikon lens ever made?

mark_stephan2

<p>No, it's not.</p>

<p>The fastest F-mount lens for 35mm SLRs is <em>f</em>/1.2, and there have been several models of this speed, with focal lengths of 50 to 58mm. I believe the geometry of the mount makes <em>f</em>/1.2 the limit, and I know that the early pre-AI photomic meters also had this limit fixed in their metering system.</p>

<p>As far as I can tell, that <em>f</em>/1.1 lens may be the fastest lens for the 35mm format Nikon made, but it's for the rangefinders, not the more famous F mount SLRs.</p>

<p>If you leave the 35mm format, Nikon made a 35mm <em>f</em>/0.9, faster than either of these. There may be other faster lenses I'm missing.</p>

<p>http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroom/redbook-e/repro/tv.html</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nikon (Nippon Kogaku) make lenses for all sorts of applications in scientific instrumentation and industrial imaging. I would be very surprised if a simple camera lens had the fastest aperture they ever made. For instance, I think some of their microscope objectives have a higher relative aperture than f/1.1.</p>

<p>In any case, who cares? F/1.1 or f/0.9; they're only a 2/3rds or just over 1 stop faster than the common f/1.4 lenses.</p>

<p>Nikon includes RF as well as SLR. How soon we forget.</p>

<p>I do believe that the f/1.1 is the fastest <em>production</em> Nikon lens.<br>

The fastest production SLR lenses are the various f/1.2 lenses, again, so far as I can find out. A few faster (f/1.0 or even f/0.95) lenses may have been prototyped, but not produced.</p>

<p>Other manufacturers (Leica, Canon) did market a few faster lenses.</p>

<p>Of course, 8mm and 16mm and other small format lenses are often produced in very wide apertures. I don't know about Nikon making any f/1.0 lenses in those formats.</p>

<p>Years ago I had a Norita 6x6 SLR 120/220 with 80mm f2 lens (sold after a year or so of use and ownership). A friend said he knew of a lens to fit the Norita that was 135mm f1.4..........recently I bought another Norita from a private party. Not long before or after, a 135mm f1.4 fitting the Norita sold on eB** for something like $1800 USD (way too rich for my taste)? I imagine this to be an incredibly fast short telephoto(portrait) lens for medium format and wonder if it went to a collector or user.</p>

• 3 years later...