Simplicity; Suggestions?

<p>I'm thinking to leave my K10D behind and return to simple photographic equipment (Fujifilm S 2950 in my mind; wide range zoom, light, cheap, everyday camera) to get rid of heavy-bulky (sometimes unnecessary) stuff . I just want to , simply to shoot. Opinions please ? Thanks in advance... MF</p>

<p>There's nothing like a significant change in the way that you approach photography, done for a "sufficiently long" period of time, to enable you to discover what brings you the most happiness and satisfaction in that activity. Do it, and at some point you will have a new understanding of yourself. It may be a renewed appreciation for your current approach, or it may be a new path entirely. But you won't know until you put yourself to the test.</p>

<p>If the fuji (or similar) does everything you need it to, why not? Much what Stephen said above, do it and see how it works out. Every encounter I have with compact cameras and bridge cameras make me happy to have my (heavy indeed) DSLR again - but that's me and how I like my photography. We all have our own ways of doing things, so even if all of us would reply "are you completely out of your mind?!", you should still try.</p>

<p>You may be happier, and certainly you will get pictures. However, if you are used to more control over the process than the new camera permits, you will probably find yourself frustrated. Then of course there is the question of what you want to do with the photos.</p>

<p>I just bought a Fuji S2950. On the good side it's much smaller and lighter than my D90 and even my D3100. I find the pictures taken from 28 to about 300mm to be pretty sharp. On the bad side, I find the pictures at the full 504mm to be soft possibly due to camera shake even with sensor shift image stabilization, and I find it barely usuable at iso 1600 and useless above iso 1600. I bought it for my wife to replace her Nikon P80 bridge camera and for me to use at parties, weddings, etc when I don't want to carry a DSLR but want more than a compact P&S.</p>

<p>I find it good enough for my purposes, but it's not a DSLR. I suggest getting one, or maybe getting a better one, and definately keeping your DSLR. Another suggestion is a micro 4/3 camera. They're smaller and lighter than DSLR's and better than bridge cameras. Any kind of camera can be used on auto if you want to keep it simple.</p>

<p>Aha yes, the aging demographics is changing the photo market. A number of my senior friends and I are eyeing lighter gear. The Sony NEX7 is our love lust of the moment. I wish the lenses were not more than the bodies on these new types. Something seems unfair about that. When you leave the house with a pocket cam most of the time its time to get light. You have to decide what size prints you want to make from now on. 8 x 10 or less is plenty good for a smaller sensor rig. <br>

JDM have you seen what their asking for Rolle1 35's now - peanuts! I'm adding mine to a slowly growing store credit this weekend. Might get $40! </p>

<p>I dropped to a $250 Sony p/s and shot with it exclusively for a year - loved the size/weight, but it's limitations dictated replacement - got a Sony a390 and am happy with the quality and accept the slightly heavier drag on my shoulder (got a sling strap too) especially with the 100mm macro.</p>

<p>Being part of the aging demographic, I've been downsizing too. I replaced my D90 (which I still have) with a D3100, my Nikon 18-200 VR with a Tamron 18-270 VC PZD, my Nikon 70-300 VR with a Nikon 55-300 VR, and I got an SB-400 to throw in the bag when I want to bring a flash instead of my SB-600 (which I still have and use). I even saved a pound by getting a lighter bag. I haven't seen any lose in IQ and I do notice the difference in weight, especially after a couple of hours. The 18-270 is a double savings in weight because I can leave the 55-300 VR home. I used to use a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 at the zoo, and now I use a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 AF-S for indoor exhibits. A few years ago I bought a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 instead of a 70-200 f/2.8 to save weight.</p>

<p>Maybe in a few years I'll go to a micro 4/3 system, but what I have now has saved enough weight that I don't need to.</p>