Loading the M5, tell me how to do it.

richard_g

<p>I think the M5 is great in every way but I cannot load it quickly or easily. In most other ways it is an advance on the earlier Ms and I think that I must have my technique wrong. I have read the manual and I have mastered the M2 and the M6, but just getting the leader into the tines of the M5 take up tulip I find really tricky. The manual suggests that if the orientation of the three tines departs from that depicted in the base cover illustration, the whole take up can be pulled out and replaced in the correct orientation. Is it really that critical? One friend who has one always pulls down the knurled central post first, claiming this helps. I can't see why. I don's see anyone but me whinging about this. Please enlighten me.</p>

<p>Simple.</p>

<p>The "take-up tulip" (take-up-spool) has three tines. You will probably have noticed the "loading map" decal on the inside of the film chamber (actually the cover for the shutter tension adjusting screws) shows a film path sharply downwards through the take-up spool.</p>

<p>My well-used 1971 M5 spool has a great deal of slop in these tines, so I have found this method works:</p>

<p>1) Make sure shutter has been fully wound and fired.<br /> 2) Pull out 75mm of film from the cassette.<br /> 3) Open the film door.<br /> 4) Drop the cassette and extended film strip into the film chamber across the gate, laying the end of film strip across the inside of the first tine immediately below the film path over the shutter gate.<br /> 5) Give one wind and fire shutter.<br /> 6) If film doesn't pick up try again.</p>

<p>The film usually is caught in the tines immediately.</p>

<p>I have also purchased a new M5 spool, Leitz #14192. With this spool the tines are very solidly attached to the base with no movement. If I install this new spool rather than my worn-out spool, then the loading map on the camera base is the one to use.<br /> It's late here, but I could provide a photo tomorrow if needed.</p>

<p>Mukul, That's as may be,<br /> but did you check YouTube and the other finds that are at a search for "M5 film loading" or such? There are MANY YouTube videos of people loading all kinds of M body Leicas.</p>

<p>I wasn't trying to do the Google search for the OP. My point was that if people would look before they ask, well, ....</p>

<p>My apologies to Richard G if he did look, but he didn't say he had, merely that he had looked at the manual.</p>

<p>"The manual suggests that if the orientation of the three tines departs from that depicted in the base cover illustration, the whole take up can be pulled out and replaced in the correct orientation. Is it really that critical?"</p>

<p>Many videos, yes: but I do not think any would touch on this particular question.</p>

Sometimes experts have a little trick

that I might have missed. I've heard on

RFF, I think, that devotees find the M5

loading the best ever. There are

experts there. There are some here

too. This is not a question I've found

addressed here or there from my

searches. Peter's advice above for his

loose take up might help me when I

next load the camera.

There is a great YouTube video of

removing the top plate of the M5 but

can't find one yet that deals with the

other end. The my new MP/M6/M5

videos are all the same. The covetous

hands, the banal run through the

shutter speeds and finally the put the

camera back on the desk centre stage

flourish. I won't describe an unboxing

video, but it's like all of these movies

had the same director.

<p>Update: I did it just like in the manual, with the lens facing me and the camera sitting on a table. This allows the right index finger to flex the leader and guide it into the right slot. With the M6 I can do it standing up with the thumb and forefinger easily placing the film leader between the tines. I think the standing technique for the M5 might be to hold the camera in the left hand, top cover in the palm, left thumb over the viewfinder, film cannister chamber away from me and the right index finger and thumb guiding the leader into the right spot. I may finally be on top of this.......</p>

• 3 weeks later...

I must be good at this... True, for a while, I had a number of misloads with my M6TTL bodies, but then it never happened with my M4-2 (I won't mention the M3 because that's misload-proof). I got two M5 bodies later and NEVER had a problem with any of them. I just followed the same routine I have to load my other M bodies, in which the central part is: make sure the film leader is in between the prongs of the tulip, and then, that the film holes get caught in the sprocket wheel. That way, the wheel will push the film into the tulip, which in turn will keep it safely held.

Enjoy the M5 camera body!

<p>Tried to load a Leica M4 on the subway in Tokyo a few months back. Half of my audience was younger than 15 or 16, so they didn't even know what film was! So taking off the bottom, dropping a canister in the body, opening the back hinge, taking the lead into the take-up spool, getting the film edges to align with the sprockets, twiddling with the lead to get it in the take-up spool just right, cranking the film a few times, see if it catches, try again, close down the lid, put the bottom back, on a crowded, swaying subway car... Boy, oh boy, a lot of fun was had by all. The youngsters just couldn't believe what they saw. Embarrassed? Who? Moi? Get outta here! My upcoming act: loading a IIc in the New York subway at rush hour. The act will include cutting the film lead down with the scissors of a Swiss army knife while standing up. Should be a blast. We all better admit it: loading a Leica is a pain in the behind. Make great pictures, though. Cheers, André</p>

Great post André! The only fun I get now is using the X100 around people who know me. I use the flash to bamboozle

them, show them the picture on the LCD to astonish them or email them the pictures the same evening to completely

dumbfound them. "I thought that was one of your old German cameras.....????" My latest M5 loading mishap was to load

it perfectly, but after winding on and taking one shot I lost confidence so fired off three more and still the crank didn't turn.

So I opened the camera and of course the film was well advanced and I burnt the shot I just took. So I re-took it and I

think I am now just about secure with the M5 loading.