I plan on buying a Canon 7D and selecting a lens is driving me crazy

zachary_schlanger

<p>I want to buy a 7D mainly for video, but also as a partner to my Nikon D90, and I am trying to find a good lens. I have heard a lot of great things about certain lenses, but I don't have the budget for most of them. I'm trying to find a lens for under $450 that will serve me well for both photography and HD video.<br /><br />I am already getting the 50mm f/1.8 since I fell in love with primes on Nikon, but I need an all purpose lens.<br /><br />I was thinking the 18-135 kit lens isn't too horrible, but would I be better off just getting an 18-55 of some variation? <br /><br />I'm really not a heavy user of focal lengths past 70mm, but I am on a budget.<br /><br />Could I get some help, I'm new to canon </p>

<p>biggest bargain (with still high quality): EF-S 18-55mm IS lens<br /> for more reach add the EF-S 55-250 other kit lens, also very good for the price.</p>

<p>For an upgrade, there's hardly a single lens solution better than the EF-S 15-85mm IS lens.</p>

<p>The 18-135 will serve, but I think you'd do better with either the 18-55/55-250 or the 15-85 tool kit.</p>

<p>For video? Maybe some wonderful old M42 primes with adapters (about $15 for the adapters).<br>

But that is just based on what I hear and read. Never touched it myself.</p>

<p>Zachary, I'd recommend any of these EF non-L primes: 50/1.4, 35/2, 28/1.8 or 24/2.8. Which is best for you depends on how wide you want to go.</p>

<p>JDM also has a great suggestion that you consider MF primes from other manufacturers, since you'll be manually focusing for video anyway. For example, Nikon Nikkors and Zeiss and Pentax Takumar M42 screwmounts are readily adaptable to EOS bodies.</p>

<p>I am not sure how useful autofocus is on the 7D for video. I know on the 5D II it is unuseable. I too would be looking for some Nikon AIS lenses that will work well on your D90 as well. I use Nikon lenses on my 5D II and if I do get into video I will be looking for either version of the Nikon 50-300/4.5. I am sure that there are some appropriate wideangle zooms to consider as well.</p>

<p>One further note. I had already, kind of, discounted the 50-300 because I think I would actually prefer a push-pull zoom for one handed zoom/focus capability. Something to consider.</p>

<p>Remember that the 28-135 is going to be 'normal' to telephoto on your 7D. The 18-135 will give you wide angle.</p>

<p>Nikon AF lenses may not work out all that well. The older MF ones should be superb. I use a bunch of them on my Canons.</p>

<p>Just as a note on using your Nikon lenses, all of the lenses you have (with the possible exception of the 24-70, if you have an older version), are G-type lenses. This means that you will have absolutely no control over the aperture on a Canon body, meaning that these lenses will probably be useless for you unless you only plan on using them wide-open. </p>

<p>If you are doing mostly video, there are lots of great MF lenses out there, as others have mentioned. If you want a inexpensive lens that is fully functional in terms of electronic diaphragm and autofocus on your 7D, then any of the various flavors of the Canon 18-55 IS will serve you well. If you want to spend more, but still stay on budget, then I can highly recommend the excellent Tamron 17-50/2.8 (non-VC). Its faster and sharper than the 18-55, though like the 18-55, it really isn't well suited for MF usage. </p>

<p>There are adapters that take into account the G type lenses<br />Since I am mostly doing video, should I get a 60D or a T3i, I know that they both have the same video as the 7D and are less expensive, but I know that at the the t3i is a lot less heavy and feels like a toy.<br />I feel like in the long run the 7d is going to treat me better, right? </p>

<p>I want to buy a 7D<br>

> which costs what? A lot of money. Buy a cheap body that shoots video and a decent lens. Yeesh...<br>

<br />I was thinking the 18-135 kit lens isn't too horrible, </p>

<p>Too horrible? Please, there's nothing wrong with it.. Buy an 15 -85 with the money you wont be spending on a 7d - you will be happy. So say all the reviews. Or buy the 18-135. HCB would have loved it, and so would most people on the planet who shoot photography. </p>

<p>I use the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 on my T2i (similar sensor to the 7D). If I didn't have the 17-55mm I believe I would be just about as happy and take quality images with the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non VC. Great lens for the APS-C format with wonderful image quality. Good luck!</p>

<p>With video being a main point, you might want to look at adapted manual focus primes. I would still get the 18-55mm IS kit lens for regular stills. There are many excellent manual focus lenses on ebay that can be had alot less than autofocus Canon primes. And you won't have the noise of the autofocus in your videos. You can adapt almost any lens from the 35mm SLR's, but avoid the Canon FD and FL or Minolta MD (both of these require adapters with an optical element). The Konica will not adapt. But you can do Pentax M42 screw mount, Pentax-K mount, Olympus OM, Yashica/Contax, Leica Leicaflex/Leica R SLR, Nikon, Exakta/Topcon R, and Pentacon bayonet. You can also do medium format Pentacon 6, Mamiya 645, Pentax 645, and Hasselblad. </p>

<p>Since you are doing mainly video, a lens w/ USM (and full time manual focus) is going to be an essential component (unless you want to completely forgo AF). A lens w/ IS is also going to add a LOT to your shooting (unless you will be shooting ALL your video solely from a tripod -- which would kind of eliminate a lot of the point of getting a video capable DSLR). Frankly, it's unrealistic to expect a DSLR lens to be both ideal for shooting, and video, and less than $500...<br>

There are three key functions you should be looking for:<br>

1) Useable full time manual (for video). Most EF lenses that have decent manual focus capabilities are now USM units 'w/ FTM' - the focus ring is <em>usually</em> of a useable size, damped, and smooth. All three are critical to a smooth video (if you need to change focal point mid shot).<br>

2)IS: This feature will add incredibly to the smoothness of your video for ALL work with which the camera isn't mounted to a rig or tripod. Unfortunately none of the primes have IS (in this focal range).<br>

3) fixed max f stop: If you plan on zooming mid shot, the decrease in effective aperture will impact the shot. maybe it'll be a tangible effect, maybe not -depends on the shot and the lens. less important than the other two, but it still can impact your shooting.</p>

<p>I'd suggest a 17-55/2.8 IS, a 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS, or the 24-105/4 IS. All have USM and IS, and excellent optics. Given the crop sensor of your proposed camera, I'd probably recommend the 17-55/2.8 the most as a good GP lens for video (and photography). If you have to downgrade to a 60D to be able to afford a better lens, that's a good (read <em>excellent</em>) tradeoff. <br>

Lenses like a 50/1.8, 35/2, 28/2.8 are terrible for video (see above about MF) ;-) ), and while kit lenses (like the 18-55, and 18-135) are not going to be as bad, but still very limiting since their focus systems are difficult (at best) to use <em>smoothly</em>... at least they have IS though! The 28-135 would be decent choice (and inexpensive) if you were using a 5D, but the crop turns that into a 45mm-215mm lens - a somewhat <em>less</em> than ideal focal length...</p>

<p>Also, I would just add that buying a 7D and then pairing it with a cheapo 18-55 lens seems like a waste. Why wouldn't you get a T3i or a 60D and use the money on a nicer lens? There is a very prevalent misnomer (especially amongst beginners) that the camera body makes the image. This is absolutely false (no matter what the upselling clerk at the camera shop tells you). </p>

<p>A decent rule of thumb (in my opinion) is that if your [new] lens is not near the same price point as your [new] body, you are probably wasting your money on the body. A beautiful $1400 7D body mated to a cheesy $150 18-55 just doesn't make any sense.</p>

<p>If you aren't sure what lens you want - and you are sure you actually need this camera - then the 18-55mm IS kit lens is a great tool for exploring and figuring out what you need before you start to throw large amounts of money at the issue. It is a fine performer, with quite decent optics - and the optical concerns are even less with video than they would be if you were going to make large photographic prints.</p>

<p>A 50mm prime made a great deal of sense as a starter lens... in grandpa's day... when good zooms were unavailable and/or completely out of reach financially, and when 50mm was regarded as "normal" for the larger format of 35mm film. Even if you feel the need to replicate the angle-of-view coverage of a 50mm lens from the days of film SLRs, you would want a lens with a focal length of about 30mm, not 50mm.<br /> Dan</p>

<p>The 7D is good for video "if" you plan on setting up every shot. Great for making films and scenery. However, if there will be a lot of hand hold/movement type stuff then I would definitely look into a steady cam of some sort.<br>

Skip the kit lens at all costs. If you agonize over sharpness at all you will hate this lens. I was scratching my head for months until I realized my kit lens was the problem. Investing in good glass from the git go will save you $$$ down the road.<br>

The 50m 1.8 is a spiffy little lens, but you'll have more fun with the 50m 1.4 :-) I've seen fantastic short films made with the 50m primes. Good bet here.<br>

Only thing is, you'll miss the super wide angle from time to time. </p>

<p>If you don't mind going for a 3rd party lens, why don't you try the Sigma 17-70mm. This lens goes for only $450, but don't be fooled by the price it practically stays on my 7D. It is relatively sharp at all focal lengths and apertures plus it comes with Image Stabilization. It is quick to focus even in low light and the equivalent length focal length is a very convenient 24-112mm. Don't just take my word read some of the Reviews. I almost like this one as much as my now retired work-horse the 28-105mm f3.5/4.5($350) Canon. </p>

<p>For what you're saying you don't want a 7D - in fact, a T3i or 60D would be better for video than the 7D.<br>

The 7D strengths are build quality, autofocus, micro focus adjustment, and frames per second - all great features (I own a 7D and love it) but they're not going to help you. The adjustable screen on the T3i or 60D is a much greater advantage than any of the features of the 7D would be for video. <br>

As far as lens - I would either go with one lens (Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC) or set of primes - but - I wouldn't buy any lens for video that has an aperture less than 2.8. The smaller the aperture the higher the ISO the more noise. Your other option would be primes - 20, 35, and 50 would make a nice set to start with. If I were you I'd go for one zoom lens with IS/VC/OS which comes in really handy for video. </p>