s95 lcd and control ring question

matt_cooper3

<p>Hi folks,</p>

<p>Just purchased a refurbished s95 and have two observations/questions<br>

1. Lcd seems noisier than it should be. Definitely more noisy than other p&s cameras I have owned. The images are good, though, and are good on playback.</p>

<p>2. If you shake the camera you hear a rattle, sounds like it is the control ring. I also noticed that you can move the control ring back and forth just slightly without actually disengaging the ring from its current position. Are these things normal?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I've never had an LCD make any sort of noise before (though occasionally a backlight transformer does). I wonder if you aren't attributing the noise of something else (say the IS system) to the LCD. If that's the case, you may be listening to why it was returned in the first place (since Canon may not consider it 'broken') because many consumers wouldn't understand the noise (if that's the case).</p>

<p>Same for the control ring (they may not consider it broken), my wife's s90 is not loose at all, so I would say that no it's not normal, but only you can decide if it's worth returning...</p>

<p>Personally, I'd return it. You may get luckier the second time around...</p>

<p>I have an S90 and an S100 but no S95. The control rings on the S90 and S95 tend to be on the loose side and you need to be careful not to touch it when shooting or you can affect your exposure. Its like the entire ring assembly can wobble a bit. I don't hear any rattles in my S90 though. All that has been corrected in the S100 however. It has noticible click stops just like a DSLR body. The S90/95/100 series are all excellent cameras that take great photos.</p>

<p>[[i've never had an LCD make any sort of noise before]]</p>

<p>I don't think the OP is talking about auditory noise.</p>

<p>[[if you shake the camera you hear a rattle, sounds like it is the control ring]]</p>

<p>It's probably just the orientation sensor and perfectly normal. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have the family S95 here in my briefcase, let's see... There is a little play in the control ring, and, yes, that's probably what the little rattle is. I can't get any noise out of the LCD, though. After several false starts with cheapies, I settled on the S95 as the 'latest and greatest" S100 was being introduced. We love the S95; the IQ is astounding for a P&S. Shoot a lot with it this weekend and sure it's OK.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for the responses.</p>

<p>Marcus and Rob - Yes indeed, I was referring to image 'noise' not auditory noise.</p>

<p>Mark- I was wondering the same thing, but there is only Canon EOS and Canon FD - seemed like the right place for the post.</p>

<p>Thanks again, gonna go ahead and keep the camera because the images look great! </p>