Low-volume users and 5L packages

dave_getzinger

I soup my own film regularly but not in high volumes, and space is

scant in my tiny apartment. Local photo stores generally sell powder

developers (e.g., ID-11, D76, Xtol) only in 5L economy-size packages,

so I'm always looking for ways to minimize shelf space while

maximizing shelf life for large batches.

One suggestion I read in a recent post was to cook up a double-

strength "superstock" for storage - dissolve a 5L package in water to

make only 2.5L of solution; divide into five 500mL airtight

containers and top each off with distilled water; cap and store.

Pull out one of the 500mL containers & add water to make 1L each time

you need another L of regular-strength stock. Presto - you've cut

storage volume in half, and topped-off airtight containers should

stay good for at least 6 mos, much longer for Xtol.

Anybody see any problems with this method?

The less water the tougher to get the chemicals to dissolve. That's the only really issue I see.

OTOH I'm a big fan of mix your own.

1lb of metol [a jar about the size of an adult fist.]

+ your sodium sulfite.

Will make enough D-23 developer for a lot of film. When you need it just mix up enough for the film you have. Shelf life of the dry chemicals is a long time. Your developer is always fresh.

Topping off with distilled (or plain) water dilutes the developer a bit. If you use your D76/ID11 diluted 1:1 you could compensate by using slightly less water when diluting. You'll have to do the measuring and the math for your particular bottles as they do vary. Years ago folks used to bring the solution level up by putting glass marbles in the bottle to raise the level.

Getting it dissolved in half the normal water might be a problem. Some chemicals that seem resistant to dissolving by stirring might finish dissolving if left to stand over night. Don't divide the stuff until you're sure it's completely in solution. I mix gallon packages of Dektol, D76, fixer, etc. full strength but divide them into 1 litre plastic soda bottles for storage. These are designed to hold pressure so the plastic isn't likely to "breath" and oxidize the developer. Since they're kept in the darkroom there's no need to use brown bottles. One bottle of each batch is not full, of course, but I use that first. I go through chemicals fast enough so it hasn't been a problem.

I had the same problem, except mys usage is so low even the 1 liter packages were often too much. So, I went the D-23 route, ordered the chemicals from Artcraft, mix up just a little more than what I need the a day or 2 before the darkroom session. I even prefer the results I'm getting. The experience has even got me ready to start mixing my own paper developer from scratch.

Jerry

I'd be extremely surprised if you can get the chemicals to fully dissolve in half the volume of water. I regularly mix 5-l batches and split it into one 3-l bottle and two 1-l bottles--it doesn't take too much room. I have no idea why you'd top off a bottle with water; simply fill it with solution to the very top.

For the past two years, I've been using emptied 5L wine boxes with the collapsible bladder and spout for my ID-11 and LPD stock solutions. The rectangular box takes much less shelf space than two 2.5 L bottles and shelf life seems no problem. It's also fun buliding your supply of storage containers, hic!.

Like some others, I've gone the mix-it-yourself route so I can whip up a fresh batch of chemistry whenever I need it. The storage space for the few items needed is small and I see no sense in committing ones self to proprietary formulas that may disappear or be changed without notice. With major companies discontinuing products at a record pace, it seems even more risky to work with unpublished formulas from individual photographers and specialty houses.

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like ease of dissolution would be the principal concern, and not a trivial one. BTW, the idea behind topping off the storage containers with distilled water rather than solution is that you already know that each 500mL (measured) volume of double-strength stock contains enough dissolved powder to make 1L of regular-strength stock, so it really doesn't matter when or how much water you add as long as you eventually add enough to make 1L.

I've ordered a copy of Anchell's book and will look into the MIY route, too.

I had the same problem with Xtol. At the end of last winter I bought a 5l

package, dissolved it into a 1/2 gal. bottle without much diffculty and now

have a 5:2 "superstock" solution (i.e. I dilute 2+3 to get stock). The concentrate

still works like new, even after having been exposed to high temperatures for

a few days (in a closed car unde California sun).

Why not order some liquid developer like Rodinal or HC-110

from B and H or another mail order place? Much easier to mix in

1 shot doses and they both keep relatively well. Just mix what

you need.

I use both in my small apartment and find they work great this

way. I find powders to be much more of a hassle.