Kalalau Trail, Kauai

zvia_shever

<p>Planning on hiking just the first 4 miles (to beach and falls) of this trail in Kauai. Anyone know the best time for photography along the trail? Hiking it in the morning would get us to the falls by 11 or so....probably not the best. I have heard the best portion to photograph is along the first 3/4 mile. Is this best early morning or later afternoon? Thanks so much!</p>

<p>Zyia,<br>

I have hiked only a little bit of the trail. I think one of the most spectacular shots of the coast isn't necessarily from the trail. IMHO you can get one of the most spectacular images from the shoreline on Haena Park and back across the cliff of the Na Pali Coast and of course that would be an evening shot. Double check this though because my recollection is about ten years old.</p>

<p>Thanks Douglas, I'll check on that. <br>

After thinking about it, my guess regarding the trail time is that afternoon is probably better for shooting the western shoreline. In the morning, it will probably be shaded. As we're only hiking about 4 miles in, we'll probably start in the morning and hang out on the beach and then the waterfall for a while. Then take advantage of the afternoon light on trek back.</p>

<p>We went to the very same trail in July, and did the hike to the first beach. It was a very sight-filled hike when we were there. We started the hike at 6:30 am as the increase in temperature throughout the day was a consideration. I would suggest leaving fairly early as the trail gets busy to the first beach and waterfall, but not until a little later (around 8 am). Mind you, the light is up later at this time of the year. I'll post a pic or two of what you should expect.</p><div>00ZVpQ-409239584.jpg.5bfc3df5be591d70add058eb1fdee669.jpg</div>

<p>A beach-head close up of some caves. You can really see how the quality of the light changes from early morning (first photo), and near midday (last photo). If you want that warm light for coastal shots you will have to leave when it is still dark. We left Kapa'a at about 5:25am in July. Do the math for this time of the year. Good luck, and I hope you get as good weather as we had! It can get wet along that coast so always be ready for sporadic showers that can soak you quickly (and your gear!)!<br>

Paul</p><div>00ZVpd-409241584.jpg.b0e523c15b5f94654f610c37146c7e93.jpg</div>

<p>Thank you Paul for the info and sample photos. Looks stunning! I was worried that the coast would be too dark in morning light, ie: too many shadows. But I actually think the shadows give the coastline some depth in your beautiful photos. I believe sunrise is only about a half hour later than in July so I think we'll probably start by 7 or 7:30. Did you notice a difference in light on your return hike?</p>

<p>Hi Zvia. The light was not as warm on the rip back to the parking lot. I would suggest that you get as many photos as possible on the hike in to the first beach. It became pretty contrasty by the trip back. The panorama I shot of the beach was at about 10 am. What you also need to know is that it took my 65 year-old friend and I longer to get to the first beach (my friend is out of shape, and has high blood pressure). You should be able to hike it in about 2 hours with a good pace. Taking photos will slow you down as well. Lastly, the clouds shift across the landscape quite quickly at times so sometimes you have to time it right when the light is nice, because it can disappear in a couple of minutes, even seconds. One last note. The stream you have to cross to get of the trail and on the first beach can be slick to cross. I brought disposable (old) hiking boots I knew i would chuck, so I wore them into the stream, an all the way back to the parking lot. Sure, my feet were a little prune-like when I took the boots off, but crossing that stream barefoot could have been dangerous. My friend said he saw about 4-5 people who almost fell into the small river from slipping. Just thinking about the gear's safety! Good luck.<br>

Paul</p>

<p>Thanks for all the great advice regarding the trail. I bought a wonderful fold up Mountain Hardware rain/wind jacket for Ecuador a few years ago and it was invaluable there and in Alaska....it's still going strong ;) I also have dry bags for my gear and will pick up some handy-dandy shower caps at the hotel! </p>

• 1 year later...