Hospital Newborn Photography-- What's in it for the hospital?

julie_a.

<p>I'd like to contract with some hospitals about newborn photography. I know I need an exclusivity contract, but what's in it for the hospital to agree to this? Do they receive a percentage of sales, a fee to get the contract, how does it work? I don't want to be inappropriate, but I know they must expect something in return, right?</p>

<p>From what I've seen in previous posts, having a contract to do newborn pix at a hospital is not that great a deal. You need to be there literally every day since some infants go home in as little as 24 hours, they are not yet in shape to look good in pictures, and all that's practical to shoot is basically a record shot rather than a real portrait. Really more a job for a hospital staff person with a point and shoot than for a real photographer. One person I know who specializes in children's portraits instead has a deal to have her best wall portaits displayed in the maternity ward with cards and brochures. She shoots the kids in her studio when they're about six months old. Better pictures, bigger sales, better profits.</p>

<p>Most large hospitals use an id unit which is like a mini passport photo setup with camera mounted on an arm point down above a table where the baby in their bassinet is place.<br>

There are also baby photographers and baby photography services advertising in the paid advertising wall of the maternity ward.</p>

Wow, its not at ALL like that in my neck of the woods. No

baby "mug shots" in these hospitals. A private company

comes in and does props like baskets, wraps etc, does

about a fifteen minute photo session and sells the disk for

(on average) about 125 dollars. This is what most the

hospitals in my area do, and most parents do buy the disk.

Some also purchase other photo products like photo

jewelry, silk screened photo diaper bag, etc.

Also, it is against the law in my state to discharge a mother who has delivered a baby in under 48 hous (or four full days for c-sections).

I do not doubt that I will be successful in this or that it will be worth it. I just don't know what to offer the hopital in return for an exclusive contract.

<p>At our local hospital it is a mug shot taken by the stern-looking (but generally nice) nurse-like lady. That's my experience with two kids over 10 years. They are really ugly pictures - due, of course, to the crude photographic techniques, not the attributes of hte subjects. But those photos documented the event and I even think we had to pay extra for them. To be honest, I took better pictures myself... but realize that there are people out there who can't.</p>

<p>I terms of what a hospital would want in exchange for "an arrangement", I have no idea. I would hope that "good will" toward their patients would be enough but nobody has much good will anymore... especially if it is to help someone else make some money.</p>

<p>Let me ask a couple of questions for you to ponder:</p>

<p>(a) What has the hospital done historically for infant pictures? Have they had an outside vendor, or done it "mug shot style"?<br />(b) What is the through-put of your hospital -- are their enough babies being born for you to make your financial goals, and if it is... can you commit to being a "slave to the job". It sounds like a committment to be on site every 2 or 3 days, minimum.<br />© Are there other "certification" issues for you to consider? At our local hospital all vendors/volunteers have to be screened. Those with patient contact (even volunteers) need to take annual accredidation/certification tests and TB tests.</p>

<p>One way to figure out what has been done in the past might be to visit the maternity ward and look at the bulletin board. If other photgs have posted their card or advertizement, talk to them. Maybe they will talk, or maybe they will consider you potential competition... who knows.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Step 1. You need to make contact with the business manager of the hospital you would like to shoot baby images.</p>

<p>Step 2. You need to contact a lawyer to make up a *agreement* that holds you without liability if anything happens in the hospital. [sometimes a photo shows a legal problem for the hospital, and if anything of yours (photo equipment) should fall on a new-born -- you may want insurance.]</p>

<p>Step 3. Be prepared for the cell-phone shooters who will convince Mom that the first couple of images they took are "good enough" for a new born.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A private company comes in and does props like baskets, wraps etc, does about a fifteen minute photo session and sells the disk for (on average) about 125 dollars. This is what most the hospitals in my area do ...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In my area as well. The company would run ads in Craigslist to recruit photographers, and pay them peanuts.</p>