Is the E-P1 still a GOOD m4/3rds camera choice?

robert_thommes1

<p>I've been offered a nice used one with kit lens (14-42), and was wondering just how this PEN stacks up to the other, more recent, models? The E-P1 was the first of the MFT Oly cameras, I'm thinking.<br>

Anyway, comparing it to the newer models of the same format(MFT), how much would I be missing from just the basic photographic picture taking experience, and image quality, by using this camera as my into. into the world of MFT, rather than the newer generation cameras such as the E-PL1-3, etc? Have improvements been such that it's already antiquated over the newer models? Are it's photgraphic abilities every bit as good as the newer ones? Does it have any standout qualities; making it rival the updated versions?<br>

Is it a good m4/3rds camera for entering the world of m4/3rds?<br>

I'm not looking at what's better(other brands), or any other alternatives right now. I just want to know how the E-P1 stacks up. Thanks for commenting.</p>

<p>Well, the sensor has not really changed, so you'll not be losing anything, image-quality-wise.</p>

<p>The original E-P1 is the slowest AF of any of the Pens and operationally it will not be as fast as the newest Pens like the E-P3 or E-PL3, but with the newer Zuikos that offer internal AF, autofocus should be OK. The kit lens that comes with the E-P1 is not an internal focusing lens, is the slowest focusing micro Zuiko made and has some other build quality issues noted in the "sharpness" section of this review of the newer "II" model..</p>

<p><a href="http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1400/cat/15">http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1400/cat/15</a></p>

<p>The E-P1 was never sold with the "II" version of the 14-42. I am certain the lens offered with the one you are looking at is the original 14-42.</p>

<p>The E-P1 is the only Pen that does not have the slot to allow for the mounting of an accessory electronic viewfinder, so the VF-2 and VF-3 finders will not be an option for you to use on the E-P1, and it also does not have a built-in flash, so you'll need to buy an accessory flash if you plan to do any flash photography.</p>

My E-P1 is just fine, but perhaps because the autofocus was improved by a firmware update that I installed a year or so ago. It's not a problem at all. While I never tried the original firmware, my guess is that this is a case of web amplification that magnifies small differences, as there are many web pages to be filled with facts and opinions.

Before you buy it, however, check out the new prices for the E-P2. I bought my E-P1 new when the E-P2 came out, at a greatly reduced price. The E-P3 is now upon us.

Make sure whatever you buy you check the Olympus website for the latest firmware.

<p>I love the 14-42 zoom. My E-PL1s is a good camera. It is not a professional camera. Some of the modes I find hard to deal with or useless when using the camera with manual focus adapters. I cannot change the ISO manually. But that said, it is a very handy little camera. It is a very easy camera to get used to. I am surprised by the quality of the images it can deliver. I'm a Leica shooter and rather demanding. I can say that the little Olympus is no Leica but it is a gas to use. Go for it.</p>

<p>Alex,<br>

You do understand that I was asking about the E-P1 and not the E-PL1? <br>

If I were actually aggressively looking for a PEN, I would certainly center my search around the newer models. But this one has sort of landed in my lap.....if I want it. So....."do I want it"? Will it serve me as a reasonably good MFT camera, with the thought of maybe upgrading to better MFT gear down the road? How long a road? Probably pretty long.</p>

<p>I just found a place selling a NEW E-PL1 and 14-42 lens for $299. I can get the extra 40-150 for an additional $99. I can get a good USED E-P1 & 14-42 lens for a little over $200. I have the $200, but not the $399(right now). Would I be wise grabbing the E-P1 now, or wait a little while and hope I can still get the NEW E-PL1 (and extra lens) for $400?</p>

<p>I never write on photo.net, but follow the 4/3 thread via RSS. Your post got me thinking, though, and while I don't want to offer this as advice, here are my thoughts...<br>

If you are seriously considering m4/3, but aren't sure if you really want to commit to it, the E-P1, if it's cheap enough, seems to me to be an ideal starter. It's the absolute basic, but covers all the important bases. Also, if you like it, you can build up your lens collection, and wait for the perfect-for-you model to come out, or, simply buy the latest if you really think that m4/3 is for you. On the other hand, if you decide you don't like the format, beyond the extra niceties that the E-P1 is lacking (electronic, attachable EVF, built-in flash, etc.), you can sell out easily enough, and not be out a ton of money. I only own the E-P1, and I love it! I have yet to feel the urge to update to the latest E-P3. Oh, and I also own an E-30 with the gorgeous 12-60, and it almost _never_ gets used, except on the rare occasion I truly need its features (off-camera flash, remote control, super-fast AF and shooting speed, and eye-level VF). I love my Pen that much. Hope my thoughts help.</p>

<p>Good question, I bought a cheap hood for it. which helps. but isn't perfect, of course, but I am able to frame and compose shots. In such situations, you really have to depend on the meter and your instincts for exposure, though. For me, though, probably 90% of my shooting, if not more, this isn't an issue at all. Maybe I have a high tolerance for these things, though. :-)<br>

-Jon</p>

<p>I have the E-P2. Based on several months of experience I would say that the integral viewfinder acts as a mirror, such that even basic photography on a bright day was sometimes impossible because all I could see was a bright reflection of my own face. The resolution of the screen is very poor, making accurate focusing difficult in some circumstances. The VF-2 made things much easier, although the resolution is still mediocre, and it needs the expensive eye cup for shooting towards the sun on a bright day. It has no built-in flash or hotshoe.<br>

I would suggest that you go ahead with the E-P1. If you find that the results are what you want you should then move on to a body which has such of the above that you require.</p>

<p>Of course it's reasonably good camera and then some. Just because the PEN system is continuing to be improved with added features (how else would manufacturers get you to keep buying?) doesn't make anything else less of a picture taker. If it will suit your needs, go for it. For $200, you have nothing to lose. A year from now you could sell it for that.</p>